The Holy Grail of Eris - Vol. 4 Ch. 14 - The Silent Ladies' Party

Double-page supporter
@Nunally
factory and their smoke, first generation car, train
The first car came 1886, which is right at the end of the period this manga portrays. We're also getting to see the story of a noble girl, of course you're not going to get to see the gritty day to day living of people working in a factory and depending on the location you won't even have smoke because nobles, who clearly have a great deal of influence in this manga, wouldn't want to live near factories.

Even though you said that feudalism is long end in 1800, but I think European on that time is still on transition from feudalism
Feudalism started to decline in Europe starting in the 16th century when armies became more and more professional and centralized at the sovereign. The classic definition set by François-Louis Ganshof defines feudalism as a set of reciprocal legal and military obligations which existed among the warrior nobility and revolved around the three key concepts of lords, vassals and fiefs.
However, we don't have that here, as there's a clear power gradient from the top to bottom, which is more reminiscent of the absolutism period.

I mean look Napoleon himself is still from a long standing noble family, and their family reign for a long time.
By that argumentation, Germany in the year 1895 should've still been in the classical era because the courts literally used classic Roman law by the letter and only spoke Latin in court. Heck, by that argumentation we still are in the classical era because we use this weird Greek concept know as "Democracy". Just because vestiges of something old still linger (these include, for example: taxes, conscription, colours, titles, our language itself!) around doesn't mean the period hasn't ended already.

Victorian era? its a name of a queen.
*sigh* please use google if you are unfamiliar with something... The term "victorian era" describes the period of queen Victoria's reign from 1837 bis 1901. It followed the Regency era wich went from either 1811 to 1820 or 1795 to 1837, depending on your point of view.

Dex-chan lover
This can not be! My brilliant plan of incriminating myself in a slave auction has somehow backfired!

am i the only one who is pissed at constance. even though her fiance and scarlet herself said that, it's toooooo dangerous..she still went there alone. there are plenty of other ways to gain information. and yet..she was totally useless in finding out more about scarlet. why even bother going, if you're gonna be helpless and a crybaby and not even control your emotions and timid personality. she has just started and yet thinks that she can face these cunning foxes on her own. when the internal monologue wa going on..i was screaming..that's why you pick your battles wisely ....you fool

@Ruhrpottpatriot

The point that your statistics bring is only that there are "more" better scheming men by the fact that there are more men. That doesn't mean men are better inherently. Women might ultimately be better schemers anyway, or not i don't really care.

Causality is not causation, statistics can bolster any point if you use them badly.

Dex-chan lover
@412001 I agree, it's annoying how naive and stupid she acts. I always wonder how her family and her could survive all this time with those scary nobility all around. If it wasn't for Scarlet, the potential of this manga would've been wasted on Constance.

Double-page supporter
@Stoner
That doesn't mean men are better inherently.
I never wrote that.

Causality is not causation
Thanks, Sherlock -- never would've thought of that. But if you quote it, at least do it right: "correlation does not imply causation" is the phrase you're looking for. Causality and Causation refer to the same thing.
And more scheming men than women, resulting in more men better at scheming than woman at scheming (given ability is normally distributed, which I wrote) is not correlation, it's causation...

Lmao if Abby or whatever her name is haddent showed up she would've been in real trouble.Connie has to realize that Scarlet cant do everything for her and that she not always gonna get her out of bad situations

Aggregator gang
Connie ought to learn a thing or two from scarlet at this point, one might think. But she just didn't🙄

Double-page supporter
This chapter was amazing. You got everything you wanted. Scarlet laying the law, Connie being Connie, a badass new character introduced, and even a little bit of romantic progression. I'm impressed.

Supporter
DEEP SOCIETY INTRIGUE. Where a person can choke to death on a biscuit while everyone else smiles and says "Oh what a shame."

Odd that someone so powerful didn't ask for anything in return. I'm sure that Randolph may owe her a large favor now.

Deborah is going to be mighty peeved that her little inquest went off the rails. It was quite unlikely to succeed the way that she hoped anyway, but now she lost in every meaningful way in front of her lackeys. And Deborah will likely be a little gun shy when it comes to Constance in the future, as now Constance has at least one ally that has been shown to trump her.

Truthfully, Connie wasn't in as much danger as we might suspect. She was fairly protected politically through the Ulsters and her own manuevering, and should things come to violence then Scarlett already promised to rain hellfire down on anyone who tried to touch her. And this was an important victory for Connie as well, as now she is the only woman to have ever socially survived the silent ladie's party. Any little league hacks will be terrified of messing with Connie now, and she'll probably be able to shake lose more information now that she's shown herself as a threat.

Users who are viewing this thread