The Holy Grail of Eris - Vol. 4 Ch. 14 - The Silent Ladies' Party

Double-page supporter
Wow. Imagine not reading the contract for a BLOOD SEAL? Like, dude...

Thanks for the update!

Dang Count, you really brought in the calvary with Abby onee-chan there. She seems so normal but also so scary! We like a badass strong female character.

I can only imagine what jitters those three felt when Constance, then Scarlet and then Big Sis were talking. Their faces were priceless.

@ysnap
It was pretty much expected that she will be saved, since this is too high hurdle for her to clear without any help. I was waiting for her fiance to march in at any moment, though now that I think about it, there's no way he could. And that empty chair was quite the foreshadowing, though I noticed it only after the fact. If this was a weekly series or had the usual monthly ~20 page snippets, then those little details would stand out more, since you'd have a lot of time between chapters to think about it. But with chapters this big it's easy to miss them in the storm of the story until they hit you in the face later.

Contributor
This. This is a quality monthly chapter.
So long, so much to read and talk about.

Some people here seems angry about Constance, but let's be real, she couldn't do anything.

She had to come to this little party, and once she was here, she could not do much.
It was not a fair trial, it was rigged from the start, they only wanted to punish constance, whatever she said.

Now she know she can't do anything against people like these girls, even with Scarlet help.
She probably need to really marry her fake boyfriend to be on equal ground.

Also, I think that big sis was there if not from the beginning, then at least for some time before she marched in. I bet she was listening what her adorable little brother's fiance, for whom he's gone far and beyond to help, would say and do. And crashed the party only when noble's power-level come into play.

Dex-chan lover
Quite a boring chapter, Constance being constantly helpless and needing to be rescued is getting a little boring. She hasn't shown much growth or development to keep me interested so far.

Double-page supporter
@llde
I also refuse the fact that men were inherently better schemer becouse numbers.
That's simple statistics. Assuming that a persons abilities are normally distributed (which for all we know with our current knowledge, holds) a bigger sample size will produce more abled bodied individuals. Neurology also has shown than men tend to be more extreme in their abilities than women, e.g. you have more highly intelligent men, than women, but also more dumb ones; or to speak in mathematical terms: The standard deviation of a given sample taken from a representative group of men and women with respect to ability, is bigger for the "men" sample.

Yes she is (IIRC wan't stated that she was a duchess actually?), however isn't actually required to hold authority for that
We are not directly shown that she is a countess in her own right, but we can infer it from the other peoples interactions and Connie's internal monologues, as well as the overall presentation of people with titles in this manga. As I have said this manga is in one part very much post WWII in thinking: That is that people regardless of gender may acquire titles without problems. In real life many women had problems being stylized since many European countries used the Lex Salica as base for rules of succession.

Well connected and rich families can (and actively did in some cases) slander and damage a family finance trough various means.
Of course they did. Humans are bastards after all. But you forget the overall situation: The debt's of Connie's family were taken over by Count Randolf and a sudden increase would raise many an eyebrow and at least prompt a deeper inquiry into the source of debt; especially considering that's what the count is doing as a living.
So you'd have the ability to actively forge documents and not just slander a family and hope for some opportunistic loan sharks.

Since most of the debt comes from Connie's father loaning other people money and thus being in need of loans himself we can also rule out the tributary system; which is unlikely in the first place. A sudden increase in tributes à la "I've altered the deal pray I don't alter it further" were highly uncommon. First this implies that the setting would be set in a feudal society (which it is not). Seconds tributes were required to be confirmed by the estates and were raised highly irregularly, that's why taxes on goods were popular (but that's not what we have here). Adam Smith was the first to define the concept of regular taxes and the French revolution finally implemented it. Assuming that the setting is set around and post French revolution, it's highly likely that the only tax that needs to be paid is on income.

So in the end there's no way, except forgery, to increase the debt of Connie's family -- and for that you need to be higher in the hacking order.

Even inside Europe there were a lot of differences of noble society.
That wasn't my argument. I said: You can't use something non European to make analogies to a clearly European setting. And as much as many European states differed in how they did thing, more than two-thirds was pretty much the same.

@Nayrael
Well, there’s a reason why Scarlet ended up beheaded and all the other nobles who probably deserved it a lot more than her, no. If she had changed suddenly becoming so wise and calculating that she would never put herself in a dangerous position, she wouldn’t be Scarlet anymore.

@HotGirlShi
The fact is that in the game where Connie has been more or less voluntarily dragged, there is no possibility to retire after a defeat to recover wounds, to be able to learn from their mistakes and improve waiting for the next time.

As Martin says, "in this game, it's win or die."

Double-page supporter
@Nunally
No it isn't! One can pretty much put the timeframe of this manga post French Revolution/Regency Era until mid Victorian era, i.e. 1800 to 1860, which is way past feudalism in most western European countries, which form the basis for the manga's society.

Dex-chan lover
@Ruhrpottpatriot so in the middle of industrial revolution? But I dont see any technologies typical in that era (factory and their smoke, first generation car, train), then again its common for japanese author to mesh anything in any era so it looks cool. I mean this is a fantasy manga so I think you cant define this based on our history.

Even though you said that feudalism is long end in 1800, but I think European on that time is still on transition from feudalism, I mean look Napoleon himself is still from a long standing noble family, and their family reign for a long time. Victorian era? its a name of a queen. But its understandable, because on that time, majority of common people is still uneducated, thats why nobles still holding most of important govermental position.

Users who are viewing this thread