The Holy Grail of Eris - Vol. 11 Ch. 52 - Ernst Adelbide's Reminiscence (Part 3)

Fed-Kun's army
Ermm... i need to reorganize my memory. So the king chose to sacrifice scarlet to save the border. But why is lily seems like the one who dealt the most damage to faris, said by the princess. Or i am just mistaking it that what she meant actually was scarlet, not lily

No, they meant Lily back then. The reason they think Lily did the most to screw over Faris though is that the King was able to halt their plans for a bit, but Lily's move meant that the pause on their plans lasted a lot longer than they thought.

To put it in terms of a fight, the King was able to injure the opponent meaning that they had to back off and heal, but Lily's move made them too scared to go to a hospital so their injury persisted a lot longer than it would have otherwise.

Dex-chan lover
Thank you very much for the translation

They were backed into the corner. If you can say something like that, then i hope you'll not mind sharing your idea how to breakthrough this deadlock with fewer sacrifice...
They should never let it get to the point where they thought that's the only way. The king and one of the most powerful nobles in the nation, and they can't even postpone execution of very important general without making one innocent teenage girl go through horrific execution to scare people? That's gross incompetence and being complacent.

For example, they could make up false leads of innocence, make a spectacle out of general's family and friends begging for his life, to buy some time. They seem to have their own people in various organizations, why is it only Farris that is able to infiltrate successfully and stage various events one after another, while they're only reacting? Even Scarlet's accusation was just a complete coincidence due to her yandere fan, that they ended up using when grasping at straws. Without yandere's assassination attempt on Cecile, or without Lily's later involvement, they would be already at war anyway.

And they're still lucky that people leading Farris and plan to annex didn't go through war anyway through pure spite, when they realized the last one of the Farris bloodline was executed on purpose. Just because Adelbide would be hard to control after war, doesn't mean they would cancel the invasion they have planned with such care, and simply hope they will deal with bigger than planned unrest later. Look at Putin's invasion of Ukraine, historically "it seems like best and maybe last good opportunity to invade the land I wanted, if I don't invade now I might not get a chance later" often outweighed the concerns of "how will we deal with unrest in the annexed territories".

Last edited:
It's so well earned. There is always that nagging feeling to sacrificial pawns in political drama where you feel like there were different possibilities but here you can see how there was no other way left. Scarlet's execution will not only take the wind out of Faris' imminent attack but also drive public opinion against the barbarity of public executions preventing the death of Duran, a key individual.

I thought Lily's arc with her perfectly executed plan couldn't be topped when it came to the quality of writing but man this whole arc detailing Scarlet's execution is just as good. It's just so tragic.

Dex-chan lover
I really hope we're almost done with this flashback, and the next chapter gets back to Scarlett and Connie. (reluctantly) And Randolph too I guess.

Double-page supporter
They should never let it get to the point where they thought that's the only way. The king and one of the most powerful nobles in the nation, and they can't even postpone execution of very important general without making one innocent teenage girl go through horrific execution to scare people? That's gross incompetence and being complacent.

For example, they could make up false leads of innocence, make a spectacle out of general's family and friends begging for his life, to buy some time. They seem to have their own people in various organizations, why is it only Farris that is able to infiltrate successfully and stage various events one after another, while they're only reacting? Even Scarlet's accusation was just a complete coincidence due to her yandere fan, that they ended up using when grasping at straws. Without yandere's assassination attempt on Cecile, or without Lily's later involvement, they would be already at war anyway.

And they're still lucky that people leading Farris and plan to annex didn't go through war anyway through pure spite, when they realized the last one of the Farris bloodline was executed on purpose. Just because Adelbide would be hard to control after war, doesn't mean they would cancel the invasion they have planned with such care, and simply hope they will deal with bigger than planned unrest later. Look at Putin's invasion of Ukraine, historically "it seems like best and maybe last good opportunity to invade the land I wanted, if I don't invade now I might not get a chance later" often outweighed the concerns of "how will we deal with unrest in the annexed territories".
Gotta agree the king and his adjutant were being too hasty, and i don't blame anyone disagree with the decision to execute scarlet. I just can't stand when others act like those 2 deserve getting lynched when the war is just several steps on their front door

I gotta make some counterargument of your comment though: first thing first, the general's execution wouldn't be able to be stopped by normal means. Even if the king send royal order to stop it, the rats behind this scheme would snuff it midway and act like nothing happened. Faris only steps away from waging war, why they need to stop due to some words of people? The only way to postpone war is if scarlet, the key to the whole faris plan, got ridden out of the board. The king has asked to send scarlet to somewhere else yet the idea was shot down, so their next option is to continue with scarlet execution(gotta agree they were too hasty imo)

And lastly, adelbide knows, more or less, the condition of faris politics. So even if they cannot know whether faris gonna stop the invasion or not, a high chance remains that the latter need to change their plans. With faris in the midst of political war, it was clear they had no choice but to postpone battle, no matter how many years. Imo this sort of political way of thinking is not that rare in whatever era we're in

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
It's sad if you think about it. Sacrificing your child to save your country.

I know that 1 life vs thousands is like an easy calculation to make, but when that single life is your own blood... I can't imagine the pain.

I really want to see Scarlet's POV once she finds out about this.

This manga is and will be underrated.

God dang. That really adds a LOT of context to the king’s reaction when Scarlet spoke to him through Constance. I really couldn’t read his emotion then but looking back, it was definitely guilt.

heres hoping scarlet reveals herself to both those guys. That’d be fun
What chapter was that?

Dex-chan lover
[...]I gotta make some counterargument of your comment though: first thing first, the general's execution wouldn't be able to be stopped by normal means. Even if the king send royal order to stop it, the rats behind this scheme would snuff it midway and act like nothing happened. [...]
But that's part of gross incompetence on the part of king and Scarlet's father. If they can't even manage to postpone execution without being blocked by Farris' rats, then they already partially lost of the control over country anyway, without noticing anything. Even their plan relied on public mood turning against executions (helped by their people in that organization), which had a chance of failing to work (public is fickle after all), especially if Farris' agents noticed the plan and had their own people in PR spheres (newspapers) that would work against it.

It was like kind of Hail Mary attempt, that they lucked out worked out well for them, at least for next few years.

Dex-chan lover
Absolute pieces of shits. They could have done a lot differently and instead chose evil to fight evil. They all deserve endless torture like Griffith suffered in Berserk. And their entire family lineage wiped out

Dex-chan lover

Seems like the king was not well known for her kindness in public (whether it's fabricated or not is not important). That's the key to control public from chaos. They were indeed lose in battle of intelligence then and now

Double-page supporter
But that's part of gross incompetence on the part of king and Scarlet's father. If they can't even manage to postpone execution without being blocked by Farris' rats, then they already partially lost of the control over country anyway, without noticing anything. Even their plan relied on public mood turning against executions (helped by their people in that organization), which had a chance of failing to work (public is fickle after all), especially if Farris' agents noticed the plan and had their own people in PR spheres (newspapers) that would work against it.

It was like kind of Hail Mary attempt, that they lucked out worked out well for them, at least for next few years.
Well the fact that things escalated to this level already is a failure on aldebide government, not only those 2. They chose to execute scarlet because, at that point, it wasn't possible to catch every rats that scheme to lit the war

Aldebide government is incompetent? Yes. That's why the top 2 brass ended up has to pay the price by eliminating their beloved innocent child, which shows how backed to the corner their country is

Absolute pieces of shits. They could have done a lot differently and instead chose evil to fight evil. They all deserve endless torture like Griffith suffered in Berserk. And their entire family lineage wiped out
Then mind giving your idea how to handle this problem? Politics is not easy, just so y'know

Dex-chan lover
God dang. That really adds a LOT of context to the king’s reaction when Scarlet spoke to him through Constance. I really couldn’t read his emotion then but looking back, it was definitely guilt.
Can you remind me what chapter that was?

Dex-chan lover
God fucking damn I love the writing in this story!
Is the author of the LN doing anything else now? Because they're honestly very good at this type of intricate plotting and making sure that the twists and actions, even the illogical ones, make sense within the context of the story. They're not just thrown out for the sake of stringing along the reader because the author, seemingly, had things plotted out in advance as opposed to making it up as they go.

What the King and Scarlet's father did is, essentially, illogical but it was an illogical action they were forced to take because of their failure to act quicker and having the relative positions of Adelbide (prosperous, powerful and peaceful) versus Faris (poorer and politically unstable) allows the reader to make sense of how they ended up in that mindset.

Maybe let them plot the next Yakuza game.

Dex-chan lover
Is the author of the LN doing anything else now? Because they're honestly very good at this type of intricate plotting and making sure that the twists and actions, even the illogical ones, make sense within the context of the story. They're not just thrown out for the sake of stringing along the reader because the author, seemingly, had things plotted out in advance as opposed to making it up as they go.
The LN has four volumes out (main story ends in volume three with the fourth one being a side story) but I don't remember if the story is listed as finished anywhere.

Dex-chan lover
They were backed into the corner. If you can say something like that, then i hope you'll not mind sharing your idea how to breakthrough this deadlock with fewer sacrifice...

I do agreed with you, and i think maybe their guilt is also make both of them thinking that in the end they will go to "hell", of course by also bringing every single "enemies" that made them make that decision go with them to the "hell" too...

Users who are viewing this thread