THE ISEKAI DOCTOR Any sufficiently advanced medical science is indistinguishable from magic. - Ch. 29

Dex-chan lover
I really enjoy how the church here is not simply some homogenous villain group like other fantasy series, but a fleshed-out organization with factions and politics. It’s a real breath of fresh air that makes this conflict more interesting and believable, and I’m all for the massive infodump on religion we got along the way.

Staff
Super Moderator
Neato, after reading all of this I need to remember to drop some c💀ash on kmanga that way we can continue getting these amazing pieces.
it's great that they picked it up
but what the hell is with the "THE ISEKAI DOCTOR  " 💀
they apparently weren't even gonna add the actual title "Any sufficiently advanced medical science is indistinguishable from magic" and the author had to ask them

Contributor
it's great that they picked it up
but what the hell is with the "THE ISEKAI DOCTOR  " 💀
I guess the idea is that the original title doesn’t really explain well what is on the tin? Like how “Jitsu Wa Watashi Wa” got the title “My Monster Secret” because “Actually, I Am” doesn’t really explain things for the average lay reader?

It’s a stupid reason, but it’s a reason

Dex-chan lover
Am I the only one starting to think Eclès will be a good guy? So far I thought he was gonna be one of the main villains, but we keep seeing that compared to him the rest of the church is way worse :thonk:

Dex-chan lover
there is some context is would like to add. while yes the church did set up the inquisition the purpose of the inquisition was saving lives since they effectively existed as a alternate means to be absolved of an accused crime instead of immediate execution on the part of a king it wasnt until the usurpation of the inquisition by various kings from the pope, and by extension the church, did the inquisition start to execute people. the church even stated its opposition to the practice of inquisitions acting on behalf of kings instead of the word of god

Dex-chan lover
Inquisitor dude looks like if Ryuk was human and joined Organisation XIII lol.

Am I the only one starting to think Eclès will be a good guy? So far I thought he was gonna be one of the main villains, but we keep seeing that compared to him the rest of the church is way worse :thonk:
He has the same goal as, but a different (opposing) methodology than, the protagonist. That by definition makes him an antagonist (for now), but he is in no way a villain. He'll likely turn into a deuteragonist in time.

Dex-chan lover
Inquisitor dude looks like if Ryuk was human and joined Organisation XIII lol.
Now I can't unsee it :meguupog:
He has the same goal as, but a different (opposing) methodology than, the protagonist. That by definition makes him an antagonist (for now), but he is in no way a villain. He'll likely turn into a deuteragonist in time.
Isn't he pretty much already a deuteragonist? I think like 1/4 to 1/3 of the focus is on him, I wonder if him meeting the mc now is what might start changing his methodology, either that or the mc will eventually concede that although his methods were bad he didn't have much of a choice.

Tough the latter possibility is harder cause mc seems like typical goody two shoes protagonist that can never accept anything morally questionable :thonk:

Dex-chan lover
Isn't he pretty much already a deuteragonist? I think like 1/4 to 1/3 of the focus is on him, I wonder if him meeting the mc now is what might start changing his methodology, either that or the mc will eventually concede that although his methods were bad he didn't have much of a choice.

Tough the latter possibility is harder cause mc seems like typical goody two shoes protagonist that can never accept anything morally questionable :thonk:
Eh, I'm not too keen on tracking total screentime enough to figure out if he'd fit the original role of deuteragonist versus someone like catgirl nurse, but by that standard yeah he very well might be. And said metric would likely shift as the story progresses anyway.
I was going more for the modern misconception-that-changed-definition where antagonist and deuteragonist don't overlap and the term gets used more for a protagonist's helper, but as far as the origin of the words is concerned it veing the antagonist is not only possible but probably even common. And of course since we don't have literally three actors with one of them switching costumes, all the terminology is kind of nebulous anyway - at least to someone like me who's not trained in writing at all.

As for future behaviour of the MC, no idea. I mostly expect this manga to be mature enough to have him grow as a character and concede, rather than going full on shonen protag stereotype. But the manga as a whole does have a lot of that super hopeful goody two shoes energy so I wouldn't wager money on it. At least I'm very eager for their presumed interaction in the next chapter.

Users who are viewing this thread