The Otome Heroine's Fight for Survival - Vol. 4 Ch. 18

Dex-chan lover
Oooh! The arc that birth the Ash Covered Princess is here!

EDIT: Ok, i miss remember it, it's Ash "Crowned" Princess (of Slaughter) since she always has ash covering her hair to mask the color

Dex-chan lover
I would love to see spoiler about how will Aria dealt with this assassin guild.
Just how it happens? if so i would love to tell you since you are asking.

But!

I think it's better you read it yourself. There is just too many stuff happening that just giving a simple summary won't do justice on how amazing it is.

The good news for you though, is that it all happens in one chapter, so you could just read that without spoiling too much of the story. But if you are still too lazy to read it, then what happen is She basically turn the whole guild into a smoker full of smokes (I love arson) and poison.

Think of it like what happen if a there is an earthquake and you got stuck in a tunnel with no ventilation and both exit is covered by rocks and dirt with a car burning inside because of accident.

She did that while also fighting the assassins there and this Dino to make sure no one could escape and get revenge on her. It was Epic (in my honest opinion, i have heard people says it's ok, but those people are just adrenaline junkies and only like flashy violent action scene)

Dex-chan lover
Oh my gosh I love her. I can't wait to see that smug smirk off that assassin's face turn into fear as he finds out he messed with the wrong person.

Dex-chan lover
Who the fuck is this cartoon character
She looks extremely out of place

Dex-chan lover
The basic stats of strength, endurance, etc is

Snip
This is a great explanation, and thank you for caring enough to spell it out in detail. :meguupog::clap:

But...I think the point the prior comments is that the writing and composition of the manga is so good and complete that it doesn't need them. The flow of the story and the heroine's development haven't relied on them meaningfully and consequently they don't serve a narrative purpose. Their presence seems like an afterthought, especially in a format like a manga where time and space is at a premium. That disruption yanks me out of my immersion so I end up more irritated than delighted :pout:

With that said, since the story is about a girl treating a game world like reality, perhaps the dissonance is intended. Or maybe it's just catering to market demands because originality is scary. Who knows. YMMV and all that :aquadrink:

Dex-chan lover
The basic stats of strength, endurance, etc is tied to natural ability and how fit/able your body is. So if you go buff up your muscles, your strength stat will increase but your agility/dexterity may decrease because you got bulkier.

It is explained in the manga already but not exactly clear. But a person's rank is tied to the highest ranked COMBAT-related ability they have. So if someone has lvl 4 daily life magic they are not a rank 4, but if they have rank 4 light magic they are.

Combat ability/prowess is like a summary stat based off all skills and stats. For example rank 3 in the LN combat ability ranges from
220/240s to 700
This means for a rank 3 to become a rank 4, they would work on increasing the combat ability to the upper ranges of the rank, then eventually their NON-combat skill(s) will reach rank 4, and then a combat skill will reach rank 4 and become one. This is one thing the manga makes confusing to show, as it's very obvious in the LN as Aria gets stronger in the LN you typically see the progress of stats. Though it will be explicitly stated later so whatever.

The body reinforcement in parenthesis, is just a buff in prowess based off your body reinforcement magic lvl. Everyone has body reinforcement magic, even fighters and scouts. Combat skills like short sword lvl 1 thrust uses body reinforcement, and running faster, lifting stronger etc. It's in parenthesis because the buff to combat ability from it varies from person to person/monster and because it drains mana, so a user may use it or not depending on the situation. The difference is the trained ability Magic Control. A rank 4 fighter/scout may have magic control lvl 1, but a mage will have it at the lvl of their rank and magic control provides a buff to all magic the higher level it is. So body reinforcemetn is stronger for mages.
Damn this is a good novel, you should become a novel author

Edit: Thought I could delete this after double posting but I guess not.

Dex-chan lover
I would love to see spoiler about how will Aria dealt with this assassin guild.
Sets fire to the entrance and seals it, trapping everyone in with fire and carbon monoxide poisoning. Enters the back and releases a brainwashed monster they were keeping in the back for combat purposes. She’s been sneaking in and slowly undoing the hypnosis for a while so it’s a long con. She’s outmatched in terms of numbers and even raw strength so she has to use tactics like this.

Dex-chan lover
Sets fire to the entrance and seals it, trapping everyone in with fire and carbon monoxide poisoning. Enters the back and releases a brainwashed monster they were keeping in the back for combat purposes. She’s been sneaking in and slowly undoing the hypnosis for a while so it’s a long con. She’s outmatched in terms of numbers and even raw strength so she has to use tactics like this.
Thank you for the spoiler :D

Dex-chan lover
This is a great explanation, and thank you for caring enough to spell it out in detail. :meguupog::clap:

But...I think the point the prior comments is that the writing and composition of the manga is so good and complete that it doesn't need them. The flow of the story and the heroine's development haven't relied on them meaningfully and consequently they don't serve a narrative purpose. Their presence seems like an afterthought, especially in a format like a manga where time and space is at a premium. That disruption yanks me out of my immersion so I end up more irritated than delighted :pout:

With that said, since the story is about a girl treating a game world like reality, perhaps the dissonance is intended. Or maybe it's just catering to market demands because originality is scary. Who knows. YMMV and all that :aquadrink:
You're pretty much on the spot as to what I meant, though I did want to know if they had more detail in the source (and it seems they do, somewhat).

But yeah, in the manga we can plainly see how strong she is and the random stats pages are unnecessary at best and detrimental at worst (imo, "show don't tell" and all that). Of course in a purely written work the stats pages are more forgivable given it's harder to show off growth (and to write compelling action, but I haven't read the source so maybe it does well).

All that said, I do think pretty much any manga/anime that dumps stats pages would be better without doing so and finding some way to work it into the world more organically, but that only matters if the underlying story is at least decent which it is here. That said, adding in random stats screens seems to be par for the course nowadays given they lower the barrier to entry for fantasy, but they come at a heavy cost to realism; granted you're doing that anyways with most things contextualized as an otome game (unless they play it straight, which is rare nowadays).

Users who are viewing this thread