The Rising of the Shield Hero - Vol. 17 Ch. 69 - The Hunting Hero's Homecoming

Group Leader
This is one of the best chapters that has come out this year, we finally got a better explanation about the waves but are still left in the unknown as of what they actually are, finally we get a proper reasoning on why Glass and her gang are doing this and why they sided with Naofumi when fighting Kyo (I think it has been explained before, I'm not too sure tho).

The meeting also reminded us of Naofumi's lingering distrust of other people and the lack naivety present in him because of what he experienced, while on the other hand the naivety of the other heroes are at an all time high and should be touched upon if Naofumi returns to the world he got summoned to.

At last I love how Naofumi started comparing himself to Kizuna at the end when seeing the house and the painting, he also yearns for having proper friends and wonders if he's jealous of Kizuna because of the difference between the two of them.

all in all I would give this chapter a solid 9/10, next chapter which being chapter 70 is what I'm really excited for as a Light Novel reader.

eo97vqpi2sn51.png

Dex-chan lover
He included the turtle spirit's avatar in his imaginary painting of friendship. D'aww...

Just a question for anyone that read the novels:

I can accept the mumbo jumbo of the worlds fusing and that atleast one of them being destroyed, if not both, but ...

a) How does anyone in any of those worlds know that for a fact? If the worlds had been destroyed, no one would get out alive to tell the tale. And if there were survivors of a previous event that knew about it, it couldn't be a Total Anihalation scenario :p Or ...

b) ... Have we some "god" ( or "gods" ) that are telling those tales of doom, true or not, and setting the hero systems in both worlds to whatever propose, most likely not the good of either world?

Dex-chan lover
Kizuna seems to be a good girl.

It would be interesting if killing the other world's heroes would, in fact, doom both worlds, and it would be a third party's scenario to have it happen. They would have just created a false legend of hope in ancient times, and people would believe in it, not knowing any better. The third party would win if both worlds got destroyed.

Fed-Kun's army
With everyone not, but with almost everyone in that photo, it could be possible to take it, with all smiling openly. This sounds like Naofumi's typical victimism.

Dex-chan lover
@Kaarme
That sounds exactly like what's going on to me. It's just a bit too convenient of an explanation for the "Wave" phenomenon with some very large holes in the theory.

@rrolo1
1) this one is a spoiler for future chapters, but it's still something answered on the books. (volume 9 to be specific so spoilers ahead)

After Naofumi's group side reunites with Raphtalia's group and managed to return safe and sound to the castle, Kizuna proceeds to interrogate Glass about her attempts to invade other worlds to kill their Holy heroes and where did she got the idea from.

Glass says that after Kizuna disappeared and they looked all around for her, at a point the waves hit the world and they summoned their holy heroes, but upon reaching a certain point, the heroes refused to participate anymore on the waves, complaining that the waves had become too strong to handle and now they where waiting for "a patch update".

Glass had become desperate to protect the world, in hopes of finding Kizuna one day, so she researched everything she could about the waves and how to stop them. She discovered several old books that talked about the waves but one in particular talks about very very old legends about heroes invading other worlds, fighting against those worlds' heroes for survival, and of course kizuna is not fresh with this, questioning the validity about this legends, with Glass admiting that she did attempt the while hero-killing thing out of desperation.

So upon this, it wouldn't be strange that it worked similar with several other worlds, learning and recording about the waves on some format, usually reaching the point of "legends and myths" over time, this also means that any passed information could've suffered the ol' INFORMATION DEGRADATION.
read at your own risk

2) this one is also with spoilers
Up to volume 22 of the novels, there has been no proof that any form of real god exists. The hero system was stablished as a manner to combat the effects of the waves. We know that the whole "Status Magic System" had existed from even before the hero system was stablished, and the Hero system works as a safety measure against the waves in specific. No gods or so tell such tales, is only the people that survive and try to pass this information to the future generations, but as happens with any format of history, it's just about to get some degradation from the pass of time

Dex-chan lover
@rrolo1: So as to not spoil much, i would try to give some vague answers based on the WN with some LN stuff (though keep in mind i haven't read the two recently translated LN versions yet).
- As per WN, there is no actual God-like being in that Universe. There are beings powerful enough to be considered as such but they aren't the real thing. There are "Spirits" though, which act as representative of the Worlds.
- The information relating to Fusing of the World have existed for a Reason in those Worlds for many millennium, but it has been distorted knowingly to hide the real truth. Also, there is a different reason for Fusing of Worlds, as per the WN (the LN might change this part though, can't say for sure until the volumes near the climax)
- Originally, the concept of 4 Heroes shouldn't have existed in those Worlds in the first place, but it is there for a reason.

Contributor
Anyone else notice that the placement of people in his painting is based on the level of trust, and that the Spear Hero being so close is a reference to the spin-off series. Also he trusts Raphtalia and the Blacksmith the most, as he's placed them at his back.

VD62p5g.jpg

@Morose @KarasuMan

Thanks for the spoilers. As I assumed, something was iffy in this chapter explanation.

Also , note that I used "god" ... I was thinking more on the lines of a Sufficiently Advanced Alien entity than of a bona fide deity.

Double-page supporter
Is that guy in green in the light novel cover the previous shield hero? He showed up in the anime briefly.

@rrolo1
I see...so more spoilers ahead boyo (spoilers for volumes 16 & 19 to 22)
SO!!
- in volume 16 naofumi is told that somebody is orchestrating this whole ass mess with the waves.

- On volume 19 we get further info about who ever is behind the waves: "The ones who call themselves gods".

- On volumes 20 to 22, we learn EVEN FURTHER about these people, specially how the waves of the past influenced the legends on the present, how these individuals behaved and that they are way more than "sufficiently advanced". These guys are actually part of the same "Status Magic System" multiverse, but they advanced so much that they now practically cheat the system out of everything good...they are "factually" immortal, supremely powerful, and utterly shitty as people, who used the waves as a manner to just pass the time and toy with everyone else's existence.

Dex-chan lover
And if the Anime didn't royally fuck things up, this was the point where Naofumi thinks and decides about building the town for Demi-humans.

Double-page supporter
@rrolo1
in final fantasy V, exdeath the main villain fuses two worlds to gain access to a power of ultimate destruction. In final fantasy vii, sephiroth tries to consume the entirety of the planets lifestream so that he can become a god and start a journey to consume other planets. I can’t say anything about the light novel since I didn’t read it yet but I have read the web novel.

Dex-chan lover
@HDMI1
I think you're reading too much into it.
Fitora is all the way to the right but shes definitely more trusted then any of the heroes.

Users who are viewing this thread