The Rising of the Shield Hero - Vol. 24 Ch. 100 - Big Shots of the Underground

Dex-chan lover
god i wish i could love this manga more, i just fucking hate how far they go to justify the use of slavery or at the least "no no, its ok when the mc uses slaves!"

and yes i know, its fiction but damn it really takes me out of it when we see how badly slaves are treated throughout the series then the turn around of the mc haveing a fucking child slave army and its treated like its kinda mischevious at worst. just break the slave seals and say their grateful enough to fight against slavers, how is it that hard???

Dex-chan lover
"Shield Hero"? More like "Zoologist Hero"! Raccoon, tanuki, tiger, otter, orca, birds, multiple unknown feline and canid species, and probably more. The shield is barely relevant now lol.

• Funny
Reactions: GK
Fed-Kun's army
god i wish i could love this manga more, i just fucking hate how far they go to justify the use of slavery or at the least "no no, its ok when the mc uses slaves!"

and yes i know, its fiction but damn it really takes me out of it when we see how badly slaves are treated throughout the series then the turn around of the mc haveing a fucking child slave army and its treated like its kinda mischevious at worst. just break the slave seals and say their grateful enough to fight against slavers, how is it that hard???
Remember Spirit Tortoise incident? Many countries suffered a lot of damages and victims. Phoenix will be stronger than it, and only three months left to prepare. Naofumi clearly stated that he needs stonk exclusive army, so he will use any bonuses to make them stonk.

But yeah, the series love to make him leave out the reasoning(re-explaining it will take panels too) when talking to new kids, and that's p hillarious that it sticks even after 50 chaps.

And as he always said, he's just doing his best to survive in that world. He never says he's on the right for using wicked ways. He just want to have shortcuts and choose the best option(though explaining things to the new kids would be best option)

TBH, what he's doing is just giving the kids extra stats boost through shady trade premium account exclusive features.

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
Well... it was「お姉さん Onee-san」, I only preserve them in romanji when used as honorifics. (Simply because such a practice doesn't really exist in English, and that it also sounds odd to me in English.)
Though that's just how I translate things, feel free to say otherwise.
I agree when addressing someone senior in the west in a casual setting you don't refer to the older kid as "older brother Bob" so Bob-niichan is used.

But wouldn't that exact logic applies to "big/older sis" outside of honorifics? Is it any more common to hear the phrase "older sis will help you out" Instead of "I will help you out"? I don't even think the west uses "sis" as often as Japan. Here you call your sibling by their names. In Japan I think the elder kid will refer to their younger siblong as "little sister" and vice versa without using each other's name similar to how you call mom and dad without using their name.

• This
Dex-chan lover
Remember Spirit Tortoise incident? Many countries suffered a lot of damages and victims. Phoenix will be stronger than it, and only three months left to prepare. Naofumi clearly stated that he needs stonk exclusive army, so he will use any bonuses to make them stonk.

But yeah, the series love to make him leave out the reasoning(re-explaining it will take panels too) when talking to new kids, and that's p hillarious that it sticks even after 50 chaps.

And as he always said, he's just doing his best to survive in that world. He never says he's on the right for using wicked ways. He just want to have shortcuts and choose the best option(though explaining things to the new kids would be best option)

TBH, what he's doing is just giving the kids extra stats boost through shady trade premium account exclusive features.
the bonus can work in whatever way the author wants, they simpy choose to have it be a slave mark. there is no rule anywhere stateing "yes, you must keep the children as slaves in order to give them a bonus to exp". its just giving justifcation for a creepy trope.

Dex-chan lover
the bonus can work in whatever way the author wants, they simpy choose to have it be a slave mark. there is no rule anywhere stateing "yes, you must keep the children as slaves in order to give them a bonus to exp". its just giving justifcation for a creepy trope.
You're more concerned about the surface of the trope than its usage in this narrative.

"The writer could have just done it some other way." Are you even clear about why he did it in the way he did to begin with? Or, even if you're not aware of the author's motivations, are you unaware of how the characters interacted with the trope and how it fleshed them out?

If you "love the series" so much, couldn't you bear to be charitable enough to the author to understand what-- if anything-- he's trying to accomplish with the literary devices he uses? Do you think either Naofumi or Raphtalia's characters would have been fleshed out to a tenth of what they specifically are if not for the fact that their relationship was initially that of master and slave? Raphtalia's slave crest was broken in the last arc-- do you even consider the potential ramifications of that? Because her and Naofumi both do in the narrative.

Do you think any of Naofumi's struggles (especially with trust and vulnerability) or his well-meaning nature would have been able to be accentuated and treated remotely as decently without a radical rewrite you couldn't even begin to propose? One of the core aspects of Naofumi is that-- in his actions and words-- he constantly walks the line of "hero" and "villain" despite his intrinsic altruism and willingness to do good, and it's only between that and his comrades that he's barely kept in check. His usage of slavery is a part of that, putting aside the dynamic of EXP bonuses embedded into the system.

I'm barraging you with rhetorical questions here, and I get that can come off as obnoxious. But, this is chapter 100 of a manga where this literary device has constantly been used for more than window dressing or wish fulfillment.

Dex-chan lover
You're more concerned about the surface of the trope than its usage in this narrative.

"The writer could have just done it some other way." Are you even clear about why he did it in the way he did to begin with? Or, even if you're not aware of the author's motivations, are you unaware of how the characters interacted with the trope and how it fleshed them out?

If you "love the series" so much, couldn't you bear to be charitable enough to the author to understand what-- if anything-- he's trying to accomplish with the literary devices he uses? Do you think either Naofumi or Raphtalia's characters would have been fleshed out to a tenth of what they specifically are if not for the fact that their relationship was initially that of master and slave? Raphtalia's slave crest was broken in the last arc-- do you even consider the potential ramifications of that? Because her and Naofumi both do in the narrative.

Do you think any of Naofumi's struggles (especially with trust and vulnerability) or his well-meaning nature would have been able to be accentuated and treated remotely as decently without a radical rewrite you couldn't even begin to propose? One of the core aspects of Naofumi is that-- in his actions and words-- he constantly walks the line of "hero" and "villain" despite his intrinsic altruism and willingness to do good, and it's only between that and his comrades that he's barely kept in check. His usage of slavery is a part of that, putting aside the dynamic of EXP bonuses embedded into the system.

I'm barraging you with rhetorical questions here, and I get that can come off as obnoxious. But, this is chapter 100 of a manga where this literary device has constantly been used for more than window dressing or wish fulfillment.
the trope hinders that relationship insteads of helps it, it dosent matter what raphs feelings are or how much she loves or hates him because he always has control over her. if she dosent want to do something, she can be forced to do so. its a contrivance used to futher power fantasies in fantasy mangas.

the entire relationship could be done without a magic slave crest that can automaticlly be used to control someones every actions under threat of excruciating pain. the cave scene where naofumi allows raph to run if she wanted, but she chooses to fight for him, that scene is hindered by the fact that she has a magic slave button. the choice for her has always been an illusion.

and I have been more then charitable with the series, im continuing to be charitable to the series, the moment it seems like their finally going to at the vary least move away from a werid ass trope they suddenly double down on it and try to give it more marit, like now apperently slave marks are a secret method of giga buffing slaves. which ruins the fucking story if you hadent noticed, why hasent any slimey ass nobelmen noticed that their gladiator slaves suddenly have giga boosted stats, or that their own are suddenly increaseing?

the story also uses it as narrative crutch, unless they cannot explicitly have a slave crest then any one without one cannot truly be trusted. suddenly slapping one on removes the element of gaining any amount of trust and allows naofumi to continue this sthick of psudeo machivilinism that drives the charecters actions. naofumi will never have to work on his trust if everyone around him has a magic mark that suddenly makes it impossible to disobey him, he will never have his vulnerability challanged if their is never a chance for betrayel. he explicitly never trusted the other heros, he only trusted the queen after seeing her nearly kill her daughter in what was essentially his name. the only time that naofumi ever struggled was when he had to hang around another hero from a completely different dimension who he already didnt fucking trust!

the slave mark hinders his arc and stunts his growth as a charecter.

he has a full fucking arc trapped until the entire idea of a slave mark is removed from the story

Dex-chan lover
the trope hinders that relationship insteads of helps it, it dosent matter what raphs feelings are or how much she loves or hates him because he always has control over her. if she dosent want to do something, she can be forced to do so. its a contrivance used to futher power fantasies in fantasy mangas.

the entire relationship could be done without a magic slave crest that can automaticlly be used to control someones every actions under threat of excruciating pain. the cave scene where naofumi allows raph to run if she wanted, but she chooses to fight for him, that scene is hindered by the fact that she has a magic slave button. the choice for her has always been an illusion.
In that cave incident, Naofumi tells her to run after seeing her hesitation. The character moment has significance precisely because Raphtalia refuses to run and comes to an understanding that she should fight to prevent others she cares about from being killed.

And why are you talking like you skipped the Spirit Tortoise arc on top of skipping me talking about Raphtalia's slave crest being broken? Did you also gloss over Raphtalia choosing to have her slave crest reaffixed after the duel with the Spear Hero, only for it to never be used until she became a Vassal Weapon wielder and thereafter couldn't have a slave crest?

the story also uses it as narrative crutch, unless they cannot explicitly have a slave crest then any one without one cannot truly be trusted.
That's not a detail generally used, and it's actively undermined in this chapter through the introduction of the detail that slave crests can be of an inferior quality that doesn't prevent someone like, say, Sardina, from beating up her master.

suddenly slapping one on removes the element of gaining any amount of trust
When Rishia had one affixed to her, the sole reason was to allow her to gain EXP bonuses through allying with Naofumi. "Trust" wasn't ever brought up. It was also never brought up in affixing them to the Seatto children later on.

Meanwhile, the soldiers he registered as party members after the second wave were never given a slave crest. The blacksmith was never given a slave crest. None of the people in the town he helped by disposing of the dragon's corpse were given a slave crest. None of the people in the town he helped by destroying the invasive plant were given a slave crest. Nobody spotting the mount race was given a slave crest (and Naofumi nearly got screwed because of it). It never even came up.

Fitoria was never given a slave crest (not that she could have been)-- and speaking of which, it was because of Fitoria that he even resolved to attempt to work with the other Cardinal Heroes at all. I already mentioned Raphtalia.

This was also a non-factor in learning to trust the other world's heroes (since they also can't be enslaved).

The entire point of those instances was to test how he'd navigate brokering contracts and relationships with others after realizing how easily one can be brutally betrayed, while also emphasizing his intrinsic good nature by showing that he's willing to stick his neck out to help and ally with people even if he's going to be a hardass about it up to that point.

In Raphtalia's case, it was systematically engineered to showcase that her loyalty to Naofumi is intrinsic and uncoerced. No, seriously, think of the all new writing (read: romantic developments) that's now fully possible because Raphtalia is physically incapable of being enslaved.

naofumi will never have to work on his trust if everyone around him has a magic mark that suddenly makes it impossible to disobey him, he will never have his vulnerability challanged if their is never a chance for betrayel. he explicitly never trusted the other heros,
The other Cardinal Heroes also never gave him a reason to trust them. They didn't start off on his side because they believed he was a rapist on account of the kangaroo court he was subjected to.

he only trusted the queen after seeing her nearly kill her daughter in what was essentially his name.
I don't know what point you're trying to make. He never had a reason to trust the thitherto clandestine queen after the way he was treated by Malty and Aultcray. He was so much in a position of ignorance up to that point that he didn't even recognize that Melromarc's regents were queens rather than kings. Why would he trust her without her doing something to get him to trust her (that he could concretely attribute to her, anyways)?

And whose fault was it that Malty is such a pathological liar that she had to have a slave crest in order to tell any kind of truth, and still nearly killed herself telling lies? Or, should she just have not been written as a pathological liar that has to be coerced into telling the truth?

You're writing as if Naofumi's character arc along these lines is to become as gullible as he was when he was summoned, or as if that'd be a good thing.

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
1vFUBJY.png

Dex-chan lover
:meguusmug: They bought Sadeena's assets. Best chapter ever. Also, all these kids better have a level cap because bigger means more food
Theyll just start farming lol. If the parents were normal sized then theyll be the same later

Dex-chan lover
Yeesh, I know Naofumi has good intentions, but come on. He doesn't have to frighten the kids like that

Dex-chan lover
Oh, these two.
Heard that the female twin underwent a heavy rewrite in the LN Version from the WN. Interested to see that.
Oh yeah, last time I read about these two was years ago on Baka Tsuki. I haven't touched the LNs so I'm also curious what happened.

Dex-chan lover
They cut a few parts here that are important. Naofumi ordered the Weapon merchant to pop the price bubble of the slaves by spreading rumors that the Shield Hero was freeing them by force. Also, Sadeena had already prepared a contingency plan in case the merchant came for the children (she was leading with the underground after all, there was no way to know if he would keep his word)

Also, It's at this point that Raphtalia explains why Sadeena is after Naofumi, it's because he beat her in a drinking contest. I also found the reaction of the children when they hear they will go back to being slaves lacking, it needed a big panel and more shock and tears.

Sincerely this adaptation had better days. It's still a whole lot better than the anime was, but could be better. I guess you still have a good reason to read the novel.

Users who are viewing this thread