The Rising of the Shield Hero - Vol. 25 Ch. 103 - Trash and the Hakuko

Fed-Kun's army
its funny they totally skipped this in the anime
edit: web novel is superior, light novel was aimed for mass market appeal
idk about that since LN is longer, but I can understand some of what you mean.

Fed-Kun's army
There two type of special weapon.
the Original 4 we see are Cardinal weapon. Stif of legend. Only 4 weapon each world. SSR tier. User need to be summoned from another world.
Then there is Vassal weapon. There is 7 weapon for each world. SR Tier. The Weapon it self will choose their user from the world resident.

Also normally you didn't summon all 4 cardinal at the same time and place. And all 7 weapon didnt always found their user.

As the case when they travel another world.
The hunting weapon is a cardinal.
While the scythe and fan re vassal weapon.
A bit wrong there, as there is 8 per world, at least according to Glass' World arc.

Dex-chan lover
You love playing ppl right XD, you're talking about
the pin she put in him
, right???
IhiwoGl.gif

Dex-chan lover
Can you explain this statement???
Sure. TL;DR Everything Naofumi does past chapter 32 has nothing to do with Naofumi's own motivation since he already achieved his revenge.

The story was practically finished when Naofumi had his proper vengeance towards the royals that wronged him. What was their name, Bitch and Trash I think? Originally, the Call to Adventure in this story was the fact that Naofumi was treated unfairly and the story was basically a revenge run revolving that event in particular. That story was finished by chapter 32. Frankly, mr protagonist here has reached his personal goal.

Everything past that point are, from how I see it, attempts at making the publishing to last longer since the demand was there. The vassal heroes, queen whatever-that-bird-was, the beastmen slavery, etc despite being mentioned since the start, doesn't have anything to do with the protag's own story. How can they be? Naofumi's already got his vengeance. Abolishing beastmen from racism and slavery or making sure the bird becomes a the next bird queen or whatever wont help with Naofumi's revenge at this point. It's a nice cop out for authors since it makes the story non-commital and when it stops selling they can just end it at whatever the hell the tacked-on arc it's on.

As for my "tangly" statement, yeah the author is just trying to pull multiple "actually, (x) character was (y)" in order to make the story more than what it actually is. Feels cheap and not properly storyboarded.

Dex-chan lover
edit: web novel is superior, light novel was aimed for mass market appeal
...you know what, sure-- I don't think I would have hated a BPD Queen telling Malty that she should have been raped by Naofumi and that it wouldn't be a bad thing if Naofumi married Melty (yes, Melty).

At the very least, I would be laughing at the absurdity of the sequence.

Sure. TL;DR Everything Naofumi does past chapter 32 has nothing to do with Naofumi's own motivation since he already achieved his revenge.

The story was practically finished when Naofumi had his proper vengeance towards the royals that wronged him. What was their name, Bitch and Trash I think? Originally, the Call to Adventure in this story was the fact that Naofumi was treated unfairly and the story was basically a revenge run revolving that event in particular. That story was finished by chapter 32. Frankly, mr protagonist here has reached his personal goal.

Everything past that point are, from how I see it, attempts at making the publishing to last longer since the demand was there. The vassal heroes, queen whatever-that-bird-was, the beastmen slavery, etc despite being mentioned since the start, doesn't have anything to do with the protag's own story. How can they be? Naofumi's already got his vengeance. Abolishing beastmen from racism and slavery or making sure the bird becomes a the next bird queen or whatever wont help with Naofumi's revenge at this point. It's a nice cop out for authors since it makes the story non-commital and when it stops selling they can just end it at whatever the hell the tacked-on arc it's on.

As for my "tangly" statement, yeah the author is just trying to pull multiple "actually, (x) character was (y)" in order to make the story more than what it actually is. Feels cheap and not properly storyboarded.
I know many people (maybe most) saw this story as a revenge fic, but for the longest time I've been reading this as a story about a normally well-meaning and stand-up guy who struggles to continue to be good in the face of comically egregious evil and other unrelenting bullshit, sometimes barely managing.

Naofumi didn't set out to "get his revenge" after being framed, after all-- he set out to do the job thrust onto him by the establishment who framed him. That's what he declared he would do when he was told he can't go home until all the Waves are conquered. If he wanted to get revenge, he could have raged out as soon as he unlocked his Curse Series. But even considering that always ends up with him hurting the people he cares about. Raphtalia doesn't join her will with his because she wants to assist in some revenge-- she does so in order to protect others from experiencing the suffering that she did, and that's essentially the same ideal of the task that Naofumi was tasked with. Naofumi's also distinguished from the rest of the Cardinal Heroes in that he's the only one of them that sincerely cares about his job, even when he's vindicated and doesn't have to worry about being regularly branded as a rapist.

What also undermines the idea that this is a revenge fic at heart is that Naofumi doesn't earn what could be called his revenge-- it's dropped in his lap, unlike anything else in the narrative. He definitely merits it, from a moral-thematic standpoint (it's a fitting reward for his unrelenting exercise of virtue), but it's not a direct product of his actions. He's also not in full control of it; in the manga (and this is more explicit in the LN), the Queen puts the kibosh on Naofumi requesting their executions, and in the anime, Naofumi was vindicated in his decision because the Queen was ready to kill herself (or threaten to) if Naofumi didn't change his request (which he ended up doing, all on his own).

Last edited:
Anime after season 1 skipped and changed too much. Season 1 slightly changed some things, but, not as bad as later seasons. Really sad. Anime was doing really good imo.

Thanks for the TL
We need a Hellsing Ultimate style "reboot" that starts at Season 2!

Users who are viewing this thread