The Soulless Duchess - Vol. 1 Ch. 19

Aggregator gang
@Eeliejun I don't want to repeat the same things because we both waste time and end up in an infinite cycle where it never comes out. 😅
The group that translates doesn't have to care if there are others who translate it, the group that translates does it because they like to do it.
They don't do it for the readers but for their own ego and it doesn't matter if they are ten people or more, instead of taking it so much they can also see it as a way to improve themselves.
Otherwise, if it bothers him, it's better that they give up translating manga or doing anything on the internet, because here we are all free to start doing anything (obviously if it is illegal there are consequences 😅).
As much as I agree with you that several manga have been abandoned also for this reason it does not mean that you have to make a war, because it is stupid to think that the other team just because it started translating this manga before has the right to be the only one to translate it.
If he had the author's authorization then I would agree with him, there are some teams that work with mangatoon or webcomics for example, there they are right to complain because it is also a legal issue.
But here we are talking about a team that has not asked the author of this manga for permission, like many other teams and discussing "sniping" is stupid in my opinion.
This term should be deleted precisely.
I want to add one last thing, never think about you or anyone else who would like the team to translate their manga.
Yes, in this way the manga are better known but if nobody buys the original version which can be Korean, Japanese, Chinese and so on, saying to the authors money does not arrive and the publishing houses, not seeing a boom in the country of origin, will not even think never to get that manga abroad.
And this is a reasoning that applies in particular to Japan, the latter do not evaluate the foreign market but only the priority. :/
Edit: I only saw now that you have edited, now do you understand why I am so strict in my comment?
All this is absurd. XD

Power Uploader
@Ifrittuccia Yeah, edit it because was reading ch18 and was like why the fuck does it have so many comments and then looked at 19 and saw another group and a lot more comments so read the comments and replied to yours before finishing ch18 whit the dropping notice. Player 3, in my opinion, can go nuts. The last group dropped it so no need to hold back.

Eh, like wasting times but you are right we both have our opinions on the matter. Still, I am doing scanlation for a while now and sniping sucks for people. They feel like there hard work is wasted. Would I get as butthurt as some other teams no... If we get sniped we will try to fight it in a scanlation war but now I understand that a lot of times it is not worth it. I will just pick something else because there is so much stuff out there that you can't get them all done. I also want to point out that there are people out there that just snipe for the drama and don't care about something. I have seen this more than once. The only thing I find sad is if something like this happens to a group and the QL is a lot lower but that is only my opinion.

You are also right that they have no right to be the only one to translate something but in my opinion, there is no need if another group is doing it at a steady pace. Meaning no waiting of months in between chapters. Still, this is not the case in this story because no sniping happened and the last team dropped it so people need to stop complaining about sniping. Also, the whole abroad thing is complicated. You can be sure a lot of license companies look at scanlation to see what they need to buy and what is too costly. Still, you can be sure even with a big abroad manga a lot of Japanese authors will not care for us. For example the author of Overlord.

You are right that this fight is absurd. XD

@Eeliejun I hear what you are saying - however essentially that came across as, "I worked hard on this so you can't do the same thing." But...you can not claim property rights, and so isn't it a bad look to criticize someone for doing the exact same thing you're doing? We are all operating in a black / gray area where any notion of possessiveness is the real danger to this community. It is a shame to hear D&A felt their views were being "stolen" but don't they think the author feels that way about them?

Since we're all in this pirate ship together, why can't we support people who want to provide entertainment (for free) for others? Why do we disparage people for a hobby when others are doing the same?

Power Uploader
@Superkrza Hmmm, maybe it can also be because if have a different viewpoint as a scanlator that had some manga snipped and then dropped. I am not criticizing the person here. That is why I changed my comment after seeing it was dropped by the last group. This is no sniping then and just a dude picking this up. It is just hard for people to see there time wasted and no one cares. Like it is hard to tell a person that you were not first. Possessiveness can be a problem but I think there is enough to TL so it does not become a problem. So long a group is doing a steady release and not like once every two months then would personly not pick it up. I would just pick one of the other 10k stories around.

No, after hearing the last group dropped it I support Player 3 fully. I would not disparage a person but would love for them to learn from there releases. You need to be honest and say that this release is not big on QL. A lot would be fixed with having an experienced TS. I pm player with a message that I would like to help him out on the releases. I just want to have a good QL. I think we just need to say that there is no need to work on something that is being sacculated at a decent pace and pick something else. I just wish all people can have fun with scanlating and stop fighting and spread around more so we don't have like 3 groups fighting on one manga. This is only my opinion on this. So, not an attack on any person.

@Eeliejun No, you have been super nice in all of your responses so I am not in any way targeting you specifically, I'm just responding to your opinion. A quick review through these comments you'll see people who share your view but expressed it much more caustically and it's that I'm referring to as the danger to the community.

I used to clean and typeset scans like 15+ years ago, back when we had to distribute files over mIRC (basically what discord is to people today). So from my point of view, it's disturbing to see this type of drama whether over sniping or quality of scans. At the end of the day, we are pirates, doesn't matter who comes first or who does it better, and no amount of pride can sugarcoat that.

Gosh..why people fighting over a scanlation? Come on, don't feel possessive over these, none of us are innocent, we happily hop on to this piracy ship. I just happy to see fast translation.

Replying with an apology as I had not seen that this was a third group. Thanks for picking this up, and I hope this is the end of the drama. Also, I'll acknowledge I went overboard in my previous comment, so I'm sorry if it came across as preachy.

@MilkTea089 Hmm. That's completely orthogonal to the discussion. Yes, I could go into the ways I pay for content, but you're more interested in shutting down the conversation, so why bother?

@Superkrza and others, yes, I agree with your argument that nobody owns the rights to scanlate projects. At the same time, this is a community and we need to acknowledge that work doesn't happen in a vacuum. Maybe a reasonable analogy would be this: you're a kid and you open a lemonade stand on the corner of your street. A week goes by and things are going well for you until you show up one day and lo and behold another kid has already opened a lemonade stand right in your spot. Sure, you don't "own" the corner, and technically you don't have a business license so what you're doing is somewhat illegal, but it's still not a very nice thing to do.

Going off the deep end now: I mentioned social norms because communities (whether it's this one or society at large) require that people act in good faith. If everyone cut in line, we wouldn't have lines; if everyone sniped projects, nobody would pick them up to begin with.

Anyway, interesting discussion and this has been a really great series. I won't reply again. /End rant.

@AcceptingTanuki I know you won't reply but your analogy left out a glaring detail. Kids do lemonade stands to make money for themselves or to fundraise. They are charging for a service. This isn't that.

But let's assume the kid is giving out lemonade for fun and out of the kindness of their heart. For free! Don't you think that changes how someone might feel if they showed up one day and saw someone in their spot? After all, they were doing it out of kindness and because they like to give out lemonade right? Instead, you said it's "not a nice thing" -- but why isn't it nice? Wasn't it possible for more people to get free lemonade? Even perhaps using a different recipe?

As seen in this context it's pretty clear, nothing is being hurt here except pride.

@AcceptingTanuki I can’t even understand what your saying??????? because you clearly do not make sense. You automatically assumed that I won’t open up to the conversation? And I understand that you apologized and went overboard but you didn’t fully replied to what people has been telling you... seriously I’m gonna say it again, NO ONE, has the authority to claim any webtoons they did not create. It does not matter if they translated it first, it’s still illegal.

And the lemonade analogy is really bad. Its like saying you can’t open up business in your own territory. Without license? ANYONE can open up a lemonade business because you’re not the one who invented lemonade in first place. Yes licensing is a problem but it’s not applicable to what is happening.

What’s happening right now is delusional people who think they have the rights over certain webtoons they are translating when they clearly do not have any permission from the actual authors. So No, EVERYONE can translate this webtoon. So don’t act like you own it just because you started translating it first. IM GRATEFUL FOR ANY TRANSLATORS.

(It’s obvious that scanlating group tries to claim their “webtoon” just to earn fame, when they could’ve just cooperate or do it at their own pace)

The analogy is not applicable to when someone tries to claim someone else’s work. Just say it’s stealing and move on. You don’t have to put a bad analogy that doesn’t apply to what is currently happening.

And why do you keep saying social norms? NO ONE EVER, can claim “faith”, that wording is not relevant to this argument. Or are you trying to say self values? Integrity? Morals? In this website, we all are EQUALLY guilty. So don’t act all innocent when we all are illegally reading in this website. Any webtoon website that does not have the author’s full permission of reading their content is ILLEGAL. It makes me sick for you to THINK THAT ITS OK FOR SOMEONE to claim a webtoon they do not own. Im an artist myself and if someone translated my self made comics and claim it their own would hysterical.

I am sorry but this is not readable. I apologize to the person who spent time on it, I don't really know how much time was spent on it, but the translation is just not making any sense.

Agree with the others that this is almost certainly DnA since the account was created a couple days before their mass release.
Nothing wrong with that imo.
Hopefully they're finally having fun doing it.

Dex-chan lover
@Eeliejun

No, after hearing the last group dropped it I support Player 3 fully.
Little did you know, player3 is an alt of somebody from the "group that dropped it", that's basically trolling to make a point.

wouldn't it be more dramatic if agatha also drops this series 👀🍿.... and we end up with no one translating this for idk till 2021

Dex-chan lover
@eva3071

I welcome any better interpretation of what's happening. As it is, D&A have the motive, it coincided pretty nicely with them "dropping it", have shown their pettiness already in the comments before, and also trough the spoiler, the quality is intentionally as it is (e.g. comic sans).

Users who are viewing this thread