Urasekai Picnic - Vol. 11 Ch. 67 - The Matter of That Farm IV

Dex-chan lover
And now we come upon the underlying theme of vol 4, Sorawo's past.

And also her getting just a little bit closer to Toriko.

Reactions: le3
Dex-chan lover
Gotta kudos to the author who can consistently keep the horror aspect around while maintaining some sense of normalcy. Most mangas would turn either full Lovecraft-esque horror or full tangible all supernatural problems can be solved with enough bullets.
All of those can be solved with enough bullets too. The hardest to kill so far iirc needed bullets in specific location, which they used the eye and a low amount of bullets to achieve. But with enough bullets the eye wouldn't have been needed.

Dex-chan lover
I really need to summon the courage to read novels.
This manga and Michibikiku isekai are novels and they are pretty good, but i don't have the courage to read them.
royalroad for english webnovels, and novelupdates for translated japanese webnovels. I know michibiku can be found in the latter, haven't checked for this manga's novel.

Hope you try and get into the habit :) Can't say whether this manga will do well as novel (because I haven't tried it, and somehow I feel like the visuals actually really help the vibe), but there is a bunch of other ones that I could rec at least. I could suggest some really good oneshots or short stories, if you want something lighter to eat as a start, than the scary hundreds of chapters monstrosities that loom over you like michibiku.

Dex-chan lover
All of those can be solved with enough bullets too. The hardest to kill so far iirc needed bullets in specific location, which they used the eye and a low amount of bullets to achieve. But with enough bullets the eye wouldn't have been needed.
Unlike other horror-turned-actions with practically invincible MCs, they do have some but not overwhelming advantages, sacrifices are needed despite their plot armor, and each encounter is still a matter of life and death. At least for now.

Dex-chan lover
I have a sense of foreboding now that is only increasing as time goes on

hopefully we don't have one of them go code blue on us

Dex-chan lover
I really need to summon the courage to read novels.
This manga and Michibikiku isekai are novels and they are pretty good, but i don't have the courage to read them.
I'd highly recommend reading the novels. They're not light novels, though a lot of people seem to think they are, they're just regular novels. Admittedly pretty short, usually around 100-150 pages each. Don't be afraid to get through them slowly, any progress is still progress.

And I'm not recommending you read the novels because it's the purest form just because it's the original. I'm recommending it because they are some of the best, quite possibly the best, novels I've read by any standard. The manga misses out on Sorawo's narration, which provides immense insight into just how she thinks. We've missed about half a dozen paragraph-long monologues on how beautiful Toriko is at this point in the manga. However, not only does what you read about her educate you on what she's like, but so does the way she excludes information. She'll spend a paragraph focusing on something completely normal, wondering if it's strange, then in the next breath talk about something horrifying as if it's something we all know about. I don't really know how to explain the effect, but it's very good.

Iori Miyazawa is a very skilled writer, and the manga sadly does not reflect the nuances of his style simply because it is a manga, not a novel. However, the way the Otherside Picnic novels are written elevate them from an 8-9/10 to a 10/10, easily.

TL;DR: Read the Otherside Picnic novels. They're the best version of the story and incredibly well-written on their own.

Dex-chan lover
royalroad for english webnovels, and novelupdates for translated japanese webnovels. I know michibiku can be found in the latter, haven't checked for this manga's novel.

Hope you try and get into the habit :) Can't say whether this manga will do well as novel (because I haven't tried it, and somehow I feel like the visuals actually really help the vibe), but there is a bunch of other ones that I could rec at least. I could suggest some really good oneshots or short stories, if you want something lighter to eat as a start, than the scary hundreds of chapters monstrosities that loom over you like michibiku.
They're officially translated by J-Novel Club. Otherside Picnic did not start as a webnovel, it's a regular novel series published by Hayakawa Publishing.

Dex-chan lover
I'd highly recommend reading the novels. They're not light novels, though a lot of people seem to think they are, they're just regular novels. Admittedly pretty short, usually around 100-150 pages each. Don't be afraid to get through them slowly, any progress is still progress.

And I'm not recommending you read the novels because it's the purest form just because it's the original. I'm recommending it because they are some of the best, quite possibly the best, novels I've read by any standard. The manga misses out on Sorawo's narration, which provides immense insight into just how she thinks. We've missed about half a dozen paragraph-long monologues on how beautiful Toriko is at this point in the manga. However, not only does what you read about her educate you on what she's like, but so does the way she excludes information. She'll spend a paragraph focusing on something completely normal, wondering if it's strange, then in the next breath talk about something horrifying as if it's something we all know about. I don't really know how to explain the effect, but it's very good.

Iori Miyazawa is a very skilled writer, and the manga sadly does not reflect the nuances of his style simply because it is a manga, not a novel. However, the way the Otherside Picnic novels are written elevate them from an 8-9/10 to a 10/10, easily.

TL;DR: Read the Otherside Picnic novels. They're the best version of the story and incredibly well-written on their own.
Sorawo's narration is one of the highlights of the series and the way she will omit information or just not even catch things always stands out. It's just something else when you're reading through a chapter and suddenly realize absolutely nothing that's been said the past few paragraphs is actually making sense and that's because Sorawo doesn't even realize everything around her is fucked up or her own head is being messed with.

Users who are viewing this thread