Watashi no Yuri wa Oshigoto desu! - Vol. 13 Ch. 66 - A Well-Trodden Staircase

Can we get some Sumika x nene pls. Kanoko stay away from Sumika ffs!

Now, this is me, but I believe Hime wont accept any of the girls. If anything I only expect Sumika x Nene.

Double-page supporter
I actually loved this arc. I'd explain if I spoke proper english.
Love you, Sumika :hearts:

We're in a time where you cannot for the life of you give a flawed character the proper time to grow up and develop, because some of the fans are too ignorant and want their faves to hog all the spotlight.

For God's sake almost every single comment here has been whining about Kanoko this and Kanoko that. She's slowly becoming better at talking about her issues and it's honestly a very nice, albeit long effort. I don't see what is so bad about exploring an underexplored character before honestly.

Fed-Kun's army
We're in a time where you cannot for the life of you give a flawed character the proper time to grow up and develop, because some of the fans are too ignorant and want their faves to hog all the spotlight.

For God's sake almost every single comment here has been whining about Kanoko this and Kanoko that. She's slowly becoming better at talking about her issues and it's honestly a very nice, albeit long effort. I don't see what is so bad about exploring an underexplored character before honestly.
But the problem is this.
We've had over half of the Manga's current run cumulatively focused on Kanoko and Sumika. Sumika has developed nicely, and it's led to a nice bit of closure for Nene as well. This current arc has HAD its positives for both Sumika and Nene and has allowed them to blossom immensely well as characters. (Plus, we got to see more Goeidou, who is a very well utilised antagonistic force.)

However, Kanoko's development has been lacking at best. We're only now getting into some decent character development for her, but even then? This is just likely going to reinforce the status quo that she and Hime have had until now, with her maybe being a bit more proactive. That's likely the extent of development we'll see. And probably a bit of an improvement to her relationship with Sumika too. Even then, everything about Kanoko has been revolving around her obsession with Hime. I'd honestly rather see Hime than see a character spend chapter after chapter obsessing over her.

I think the worst part is, the extent that this Arc has gone on for has been nothing short of damaging for the Manga. We halted at a point where Hime was finally learning to be honest, which would've been great to start her character development, (Especially since Hime is so layered, but tragically unexplored at current) and that's all been put on halt since Chapter 42, for the sake of Kanoko and Sumika, which just feels odd. This arc has been going on for one volume too many, and is likely to go one for one more volume before we finally get back to Hime.

No offense, but I think fatigue is running real high here and I don't blame anyone for it.

TLDR: This arc was good initially, but is too tired at this point and we all just need to see Hime again.

Dex-chan lover
Talk about what? Girl? She said it ended. Just confess and then everything will be done why u so stubborn

Dex-chan lover
I mean, the arc wasn't wasted cause it resolve Sumika and Nene's arc. On it way to resolve Sumika and Kanoko's relationship, Sumika growth as a character, same with giving Nene's story a closure.

The reason, I'm spitballing here, why the author won't let her confessed because we already see Hime's reaction to Yano confessing to her, so if they do it, it gonna be a repeat of the ending of that (with even a bigger shock for Hime because she believe that Kanoko never hide anything from her), and the triangle relationship between Hime/Yano/Kanoko, which I'm sure is the end game of this manga so that gonna be it own storyline after we resolve the relationship of Sumika and Kanoko.

They go slow i think because they don't want it to get too messy, imagine a storyline where they have to juggle the triagle relationship + Sumika's feeling for Kanoko + Nene watching the whole thing happen, that would be an even bigger mess.

Like, I understand people have their ship that they want to see progress, but I like that the author still working on cleaning up all the plot thread and storyline they lay out. People can hate a character and it's fine, but Yano whole existence is also angst because lesbian feelings for Hime, and she been holding to that angst even longer than Kanoko. and Kanoko was teached to be this selfish by Hime, the most selfish character of this whole series (regarding relationship) so you can't even put that on Kanoko.
Don't know how I missed this reply back when I commented, oof. Actually really appreciate the write-up and insight/your point of view on some matters. Most of it seems coherent and makes sense or is pretty obvious in hindsight. This arc wasn't wasted, true, I typed my comment out in agony after having to endure further Kanoko. I wasn't in a clear mindset, heh.
There also is stuff I agree with, btw.

Now, I talked to a friend who just recently started reading and remembered myself typing up something as a Kanoko hater, lmao.
I still stand by Kanoko being annoying this arc/these chapters and that her character isn't too deep apart from being insert all negative stuff I characterized her as. Chapter 67 kind of reinforced that mindset.
Chapter 67 had her character be, once again, exactly the same even after having been through the whole ordeal. I actually IRL facepalmed when reading, lol. Thank god for that small realization mid chapter.
Sumika on the other hand, as I mentioned before, acted the way it was most plausible after what just happened. Be firm but try to move on while figuring things out. She knows what she is doing to Kanoko and why everything happened. Even in her rejecting Kanoko there is love. Loved it. Their whole exchange was great.

As for considering the idea of the triangle relationship being solved and Kanoko confessing being endgame.. I sadly have to type that I also think that this is the case.
I just think that at this point there is 0 impact left. There is no angst, no suspense and overall just nothing interesting to look forward to. You typed out everything that could possibly happen- Hime is hit because it feels like a betrayal/shock due to not knowing something important about her. That's it.
You are literally waiting for the elevator to arrive, for multiple months but you clearly know or atleast can imagine where you will end up.
Don't get me wrong, I am hugely interested to see where Sumika will end up and how Hime copes but these are small subplots that could be explored in 2 smallish chapters (if the author doesn't want to do a Sumika arc or spinoff :p).

As for that last paragraph.. I get where some of this is coming from, moreso since this is the type of manga that thrives off and exists for and due to characters and interactions while events happen. Kanoko just ended up so underdeveloped and one-dimensional that she sticks out like a sore thumb.
What you said about Yano is true to some extent. But then you have Kanoko ch67 after this arc and it is as I typed before, as if she had 0 absolutely null 0% none at all development and growth after a whole arc heavily involving her, that is.

Just my 2 cents after sitting on this for a while (heck this manga is a SLOW slow burn).

Users who are viewing this thread