Watashitachi wa Moto Joshi desu - Ch. 10

Just wanted to add my two cents as a trans woman. The mother is pretty transphobic, but she's not necessarily wrong. Transitioning is a decision you have to make for yourself, not for other people, and MC is now in a unique situation where she has become free to examine her gender and figure out how she wants her body to be. Based on the previous chapters, I think it's pretty evident that she's feeling pretty heavy dysphoria after the changes, so I hope she does still get to start hormones before there's even more drastic changes, but I think it does make for a compelling story to actually examine your gender instead of assuming it matches your sex at birth. Though I gotta say, if I was born with ovaries and then they were suddenly gone one day, I would be absolutely devastated. And the mom's comment about skeletons is unnecessary and untruthful: I obviously don't know how the fictional disease works, but the only bones that would change significantly are the pelvis and maybe the cranium. And the skeleton wouldn't be different if it was her a change to her body, so this makes it sound more like she got an entirely different body that's just not hers
Im a trans girl too and for me, what the mother said was pretty transphobic too... why she needs to rediscover herself and decided if she should go back to being a girl? She was one ALL HER LIFE, of course she really want to do it, not only because she has a recent love interest, but because she lived as one all her existense... this was a very cheap way to make the plot longer, hope she really go back to her og sex cause she really wants to in the previous chapters (wont make sense if she suddendly decides to dont do that... it will be like "no matter what you do, even if you WAS a girl originally, being a trans girl is basically being an artificial woman...")

I don't agree that the mother is transphobic. She doesn't want to discourage Rinko from transitioning, she wants Rinko to not be under the illusion she'll go back as if nothing happened and she wants her to do it for herself, if she's going to do it at all. She will be a woman, but not the same woman she was. And that could be something she regrets.

But if Rinko decides to transition after that, she'll support her all the way.

I don't think there's anything transphobic in that take?
Yeah but its pretty stupid doubting if you daughter want to go back to a girl after what happened... of course she wants and not only for a recent love interest

I don't understand the reason people opposing it. Why does it matter to you that gender identity is real or not? That's other people's lives, you don't get to decide what's right or valid for them.

It's not like their decisions will affect you somehow, and you're telling me you're not transphobic for thinking you have the right to decide how they feel.
Tread on thee, but not on me. It's their mantra.

Dex-chan lover
She was a girl all her life, it is totally normal to want to go back
But it's not a process that is gonna turn her back. That's literally what the mom is saying here. To really think bout it, cause anyone who thinks it'll turn her back into a normal girl before the magic genderswap happened, have obviously have not thought about it enough.
Call it fearmongering or transphobia or whatever political nonsense social media nowadays want to feed to people to sell their products and services to children nowadays, but that's just a parent telling a child to make an educated choice and not fall victim to the former.

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
But it's not a process that is gonna turn her back. That's literally what the mom is saying here. To really think bout it, cause anyone who thinks it'll turn her back into a normal girl before the magic genderswap happened, have obviously have not thought about it enough.
Call it fearmongering or transphobia or whatever political nonsense social media nowadays want to feed to people to sell their products and services to children nowadays, but that's just a parent telling a child to make an educated choice and not fall victim to the former.
Does turning back to have a biological female body even matter here? Who the fuck would care if they can't give birth anymore? Only asian parents care about that. It's obvious she doesn't want her body to become even more manly and wants to retain as feminine as possible.

Dex-chan lover
Does turning back to have a biological female body even matter here? Who the fuck would care if they can't give birth anymore? Only asian parents care about that. It's obvious she doesn't want her body to become even more manly and wants to retain as feminine as possible.
It matters not to me, but for the parent and the child in the story.
And if you're saying to put myself in their shoes, I don't really need to repeat myself.

Dex-chan lover
But it's not a process that is gonna turn her back. That's literally what the mom is saying here.
And saying that as a parent who obvious doesn't spend much time with her daughter is pretty fucked up. The mother may have little bit of a point here but the way she approched it was certainly bad.

Dex-chan lover
I mean, what would you like Rinko or even a real-life person with gender dysphoria to do? Just crossdressing if that makes them feel better while not claiming to be a woman or is even that not good?
Yes. Again, you can't claim to be a woman simply because you feel like one.
In this case it's not clear if Rinko has dysphoria or would have it with further masculinization but as someone that grew up as a woman it may be better for her mental health to prevent further masculinization even if it doesn't actually make her a woman at all.
No it's not. Lying to herself isn't gonna make anything better. She needs to see a therapist that'll make her understand and accept that she's a man now. Like an actual man and nothing can change that (except being struck with the same condition again)
People debate a lot about the "identity" itself but I'm not sure what that means in practice,
Nobody does. Like the only thing they can do when I asked them to explain is call me transphobic, terfs or Nazis before blocking me
like if the trans-identity people lost, would people with gender dysphoria be allowed to crossdress
Yes they can. Drag and crossdresser exist
and take hormones if they want to
Yes. Bodybuildes for example takes steroids and testosterone.
or would they have to "act" like their sex
They can act like the opposite sex if they want. Effeminate man exist. Manly woman exist.
despite whether or not you are a man or a woman only being a matter of biology?
Yes. Being a man or woman is a matter of biology. They can't claim to be a man/woman simply because they feel like one or simply because they look like one.

Dex-chan lover
Im a trans girl too and for me, what the mother said was pretty transphobic too... why she needs to rediscover herself and decided if she should go back to being a girl? She was one ALL HER LIFE, of course she really want to do it, not only because she has a recent love interest, but because she lived as one all her existense... this was a very cheap way to make the plot longer, hope she really go back to her og sex cause she really wants to in the previous chapters (wont make sense if she suddendly decides to dont do that... it will be like "no matter what you do, even if you WAS a girl originally, being a trans girl is basically being an artificial woman...")
1) Nothing she said was transphobic
2) The person you quote has for some reason not understood that the skeleton thing was part of the mother's characterization. Her obsession with people's physique (that's portrayed as a pain in the ass btw) leads her to consider minute differences as major.
3) You don't go back to being a girl through surgery. That's her point. She might mimic the appearance of what she lost but never the full functions and physiology of it, and the realization after all her efforts could be soul crushing. Surgery without informed consent is wrong and the mother makes sure she will support an informed consenting daughter.

Fed-Kun's army
Lawd 250+ comments jeez ya'll relax. I think this is the first time a non-super popular manga in this site gets this much discussion/read count from its readers lol.

I know but its totally normal that she want to being a girl again more than now living the rest of her life as a boy and hopefully she will be one again

1) Nothing she said was transphobic
2) The person you quote has for some reason not understood that the skeleton thing was part of the mother's characterization. Her obsession with people's physique (that's portrayed as a pain in the ass btw) leads her to consider minute differences as major.
3) You don't go back to being a girl through surgery. That's her point. She might mimic the appearance of what she lost but never the full functions and physiology of it, and the realization after all her efforts could be soul crushing. Surgery without informed consent is wrong and the mother makes sure she will support an informed consenting daughter.
Yeah, but again, its better living as a trans girl than being a boy cause destiny wanted it for you after being a girl for all your life, its something that shouldnt be debatible, Rinko dislikes her body a lot and she just wants to be a girl again for her sake, not just because she likes a boy currently

Dex-chan lover
She can be a girl again and thats totally fine, dont get why the mom is acting like that just because "wont be the same"... sure it wont but it will be better than living as a boy for the rest of her life
How do you know it'll be better? Hrt and Sex Reassignment Surgery has their risks. Risk that she'll carry for the rest of her life.

I personally don't want Rinko to "go back to being a girl", but their/her mother could have made that point without being transphobic... Anyways, this manga is a huge deal to me (non binary) and it could be great commentary on intersex people and overall people whose gender don't perfectly match their genitals, but you gotta at least try to get all the nuances of it and not be disrespectful.

Dex-chan lover
Yeah, but again, its better living as a trans girl than being a boy cause destiny wanted it for you after being a girl for all your life, its something that shouldnt be debatible, Rinko dislikes her body a lot and she just wants to be a girl again for her sake, not just because she likes a boy currently
It's better says who? How do you know she won't hate having a body that looks like the former but still doesn't work the same and having to take meds for life?

Dex-chan lover
I personally don't want Rinko to "go back to being a girl", but their/her mother could have made that point without being transphobic... Anyways, this manga is a huge deal to me (non binary) and it could be great commentary on intersex people and overall people whose gender don't perfectly match their genitals, but you gotta at least try to get all the nuances of it and not be disrespectful.
She didn't say anything transphobic though? She stated facts bluntly, nothing else.

Users who are viewing this thread