Website is slow

Contributor
Chapters that were posted less than 2-3 weeks ago load quickly, but older chapters load very slowly, and page transitions take anywhere from 1 to 4 minutes. I have tried using both the NA and Europe image servers. I am in the US, and I have a fast Internet connection. As it is, the site is currently useless for reading anything that was posted more than 3 weeks ago. I've tried both Chrome and Firefox, cleared browser cache, etc.

Yup,i think there was a same problem when they introduced the server picking thingy a while ago. Anything not recent was loading insanely slow. Dunno why they do not adress this in any way,like it's not happening

Hello just want to say about the connection when loading image is slow for me, this applies to single page manga and I don't know but long strip manhwa loads fine and fast, this applies both to old and new chapters.

I've switched from wifi to mobile data and even used VPN but it's still not helping.

I’m glad people are talking about the loading times for old chapters, I thought I was at fault when recently uploaded chapters load in seconds but older uploads take upwards of 5 minutes to load a page or two. It makes trying to catch up with older manga impossible. Hopefully this’ll get ironed out soon.

Not sure if anyone who posted on this thread is from Asia but it's also difficult to load chapters here. Haven't tried using VPN though.

@Mo_Man_57
I think the issue with the older chapters was made known after the transition (not sure of the proper term but I hope you understand what i mean) but it got worse after this pandemic.

Fed-Kun's army
Ahh I'm glad (?) to see I'm not the only one with this problem. I thought it may be my internet connection but it's been days and is still the same :/ reading just two or three pages is painfully slow 😔 I hope it gets better soon.

Does cloudflare have anything to do with this? I can read like 5 chapters then the site won't respond at all unless I change my IP adress. Like the site bans me for using too much bandwidth, which is weird since I'm also using the data saver.

Holo literally answered why the servers are so slow in the second post. I'm pretty sure every user at this point knows there has been a substantial slowdown in image loading. 20 people echoing the same sentiment really doesn't help the situation.

why are not all pages affected then? and I find it hard to believe that the servers are overloaded at all times of the day everyday.

Dex-chan lover
Glad to know I'm not the only one affected... Was starting to wonder.

I think it'd be fine if there were a way to just kind of set it and forget it and come back to a completely loaded chapter, but with the way the site dynamically allocates the later half of chapters in long strip form, the reading experience is always going to be disjointed.

Oh thank god its not just me, I've been so confused like "Why can I read the latest chapter, but anything else feels like I'm on dialup"

Group Leader
Image display has gotten so slow it's to the point that if I want to read something quickly, I have to go to the original web site . . . when there is one. Individual pages take up to a minute to load. Each.

Even the title image for a series gets loaded almost line by pixel line.

EDIT: Though switching to the compressed images seems to make quite a difference...

Power Uploader
I love Mangadex. I really do.

But at this point, even though I don't really want to, I have to go on other less savory aggregators to read the chapters I want to read.

Can I just say that the website has become barely usable recently? and US VPN does not solve the problem? I used both VPN and 1.1.1.1 for DNS resolver and its taking several minutes to load older chapters. Even new chapter of Iruma-kun or Kaguya (I don't believe that is not a very popular chapter) which should be loaded into the fastest cache server are barely loading fast enough in Mangadex. Looking at this forum, I don't think its 'SEA problem' anymore but more of site-wide problem.

I feel that you guys need to come forward with the situation. I understand your stance of not using ads at all and I think most of us actually really like that. MR migration probably affect you guys a lot and you definitely need to add more infrastructures (A CDN located in SEA would be a start, and Load Balancers for Database), however that also means that there are quite alot of potential new donators too. If its money problem, I don't think it cannot be resolved by crowdfunding since you guys already are the go-to site from Reddit link. Although I do think that something other than cryptocurrency way are needed too, since it just sounds very sketchy.

New chapters loads in an instant as it used to be all over the site. However something is seriously wrong with old chapters. They range from unreadable to virtually unreadable, it affects all content.

Old chapters are currently unreadable (Ive had pages load for minutes and minutes and eventually a red error msg will show and it never resolve or it takes several reloads+waiting time until it does) or virtually unreadable (they load, eventually after a couple minutes).

In northern europe with 100/100mbit connection using desktop.

Miku best girl
Admin
We have ordered new servers, they are delayed due to covid-19.

Oh are the newer chapters on a different frameworks or newer servers? I guess I really hadn't considered that, well durn. I guess It's not so bad just slowly reading a few chapters on and off over the course of a day for a while. I'll extend manga a bit longer that way :)

Miku best girl
Admin
Yes, newer chapters live on the webserver and are served via a different cache.

Users who are viewing this thread