What trope in anime that was weird to you at the start and still weird to this day?

When I first started watching anime, I liked the tone these anime story give out, where every story does not have to end with a shining hero saving the day.

But one thing that threw me of and keeps throwing me off to this day. PANTY SHOTS.....
WTF, at one moment a scene has a serious tone, then BAM SURPRISE PANTY SHOT. A female having trouble fighting off a vicious monster?.... PANTY SHOT. A girl casually sitting down? PANTY SHOT.

I'm not here to shame people who likes them, I just don't like the trope itself, I don't wanna see the character's crotch when I trying watch a story lol, be it romance themed or not.
I still roll my eyes to this day when every a panty shot appears.
But that's just me tho.

The black-haired, black-clothed Japanese isekai mage/swordsman reincarnation character. It's so prevalent and cookie-cutter that unless it's explicitly a parody of the genre or breaks the mold somehow, I just skip the stories with that type of mc altogether. This is tertiary but if the two parents are blonde with blue/green eyes or red hair etc, there's a large chance someone was cheating, but they don't bat an eye at the black-haired black-eyed child that was birthed from the mother. I understand recessive and dormant genes as an explanation but come on.

Reincarnation like bruh, it would be nice if he was just ordinary no special powers nothing. With the mc trying to live a normal life. But due to the world he´s in is being dragged into nonsense. Thats the renciarnaton anime I wanna see.

Dex-chan lover
@ammatrax "There is no such thing as a pointless panty shot."

In all seriousness, teenage mecha pilots. Unless the situation is incredibly desperate, there's almost no good reason to put emotionally unstable, hormonal teenagers in charge of your walking/flying death machines. Seems like a downright terrible idea, in fact.

Dex-chan lover
@ammatrax
Yeah I know anime is fantasy and fully understand that, I like fantasy but not degeneracy.

*squints* That's...an interesting position to take from an anime fan. Most people from the outside looking in consider us degenerates, lol.

@Kaldrak

I mean everyone has their own thing, I might be an avid anime watcher but getting no sleep due to binging anime is the farthest i'll go as an anime fan

can't understand why the typical otaku that they portray in anime is a mid 30s balding guy with glasses addicted to cute figurines. Like c'mon man it can't be that common, half the reason why people think otaku are neck beards is because that's literally how they portray them in actual anime.

In the defense of panty shots, it is efficient cinematography, imagine trying to include fan service by actually wasting more than a few frames, panty shots are quick and easy to animate and get the job done, they are a lot more family friendly than tits as well, moreover panty shots when done right can look like a cinematic masterpiece -referencing Hanekawa panty shot from Kizumonogatari, now that was an entire 30 seconds of erotica exposition, calling it a panty shot is just disrespectful. Please watch it(link below) and see if you change your mind @ammatrax

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qfqXhEGn7c

Dex-chan lover
@Hornyturtle
kids have faster reflexes and are far better at adapting to new situations

I mean, yeah, but we don't put them in fighter jets or tanks. Generally speaking, sending children to go fight is usually a last resort.

In isekai when mc goes to the new world it's most of the time some horrible stereotype-filled amalgamation of tropes about Europe but almost everyone other than the mc is an idiot. Hell, they even use names from different religions/mythologies European nations and mix them up. It's so annoying. Why even use them. Just come up with a different name.

It's so lazy and borderline disrespectful.

That all women have round juicy ass. RL gonna hit you hard if you take it serious...

Dex-chan lover
Not wanting to be troubled by anything involving more effort than taking a piss. This is a total character clash because the character expressing these views is always super noble, caring and kind...yet they wanna be lazy and not change the landscape for the better or do things for the greater good because it causes a slight bit more effort than normal.

Literally read a manga the other day where the MC let a dude get his sternum blown open (for this very reason) and then was all like "Oh no!" before proceeding to demonstrate that he not only could have prevented that blow and stopped the whole thing before anyone noticed, but chose not to because it was a bit more effort than walking around. We're then supposed to look at these guys and go "Wow so cool!" as if the problems happening aren't a direct result of their inaction. It's just super infuriating.

Dex-chan lover
When an "elite" special forces unit absolutely has the floor mopped up with them hyping up a villain that subsequently gets shat on by a teenage "chosen one" type with no prior combat experience...
pain... Just pain...

For me, it's the sexy loli trope. Like by all means I can dispel my disbelief and accept that there is a 1,000 year old loli who looks like a child and is op. Hell most of the time it leads to some funny moments or even subvert your expectations. But can we just not sexualize the character that looks like a 10 year old. Never sat right with me and as I get older it' becomes more off-putting.

Oops I walked in on you / fell on you / did some other sexual thing on accident -> girl beats the living shit out of the guy -> repeat. There are entire series that are literally just this same thing over and over again and people find this funny. I get comedy is subjective but it's always been weird to me.

Users who are viewing this thread