Yofukashi no Uta - Vol. 20 Ch. 200 - Final Night: And Then

Dex-chan lover
you guys are reading way too much into the "let's play tag" part of the sentence and not the "till death do us part"
Yes and ignoring that Ko immediately, and playfully rejects that idea. It was a casual conversation. The "tag" was more metaphor than literal, since they were already talking about "tag" before. The main idea was her promising they'll be together for life, sort of like marriage vows.

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
Thank you very much for picking up the scanlation to the end, as unflinchingly consistent as it was.

The ending was a lot less bitter than I was fearing, and flowed a lot better than I feared it would for a final chapter of the same length as any other chapter in this work.

I'm surprised that Nazuna's vampiric instincts compelled her to try to drink Kou's blood even though it's been three years and she must have been drinking blood just fine during that time. Even if I account for Nazuna's appraisal of Kou's blood, I was initially inclined to write off her instinctive attempt to drink his blood-- even after three years-- as a reaction from overwhelming affection rather than vampiric instinct (I mean, come on-- she's completely fine until he points out that he's became way taller than her...)

On an aside: I'm convinced the hatred of the ending to Dagashi Kashi is a meme that people forgot was a meme, and it's infected their viewing of this even less offensive ending. I do not get the problem in someone temporarily going away, and then coming back.

But maybe that's me remembering how Vonnegut allegedly described what he called "boy meets girl" stories, as well as my exposure to the opinion-- by two different nonfiction writers discussing masculinity at whichever length-- that men tend to have relationships of separation and reunion rather than the persistent staying together that women tend to have.

i hate seeing this go. i do have complaints though. we never got confirmation that turning while the vampire is in love kills. to my knowledge, what we saw was that they died when the sun came up and it felt kinda ambiguous as to what killed them. i could just be misremembering but im fairly sure thats what happened.
You're right, we didn't. Even in this chapter, not even Nazuna knows if it's the vampire or the subject who dies.

But it's also the kind of thing that can't be readily investigated, with how the concept was set up. The vampire has to fall in love with the subject, and naturally, they'll be disinclined to try to vampirize the subject and risk death (whether they interpret it as the subject's or their own) unless they have a death wish like Kiku and are convinced it'll be them that dies.

"If you ran away and didn't want to see me. Then I'd just have to start searching for you again."
:qq::qq::qq:
mans was reading Naruto during that time skip

It just leaves everything open with nothing resolved. Why is Kou still able to go half vampire state? Is Nazuna being born a vampire as opposed to the others who were humans turned into vampires different at all when it comes to the whole "dying from drinking the blood of the one they love" thing?
Does it matter at this point? Why Kou is still a vampire shifter is as much of a mystery as why he's a vampire shifter in the first place, and the latter issue you brought up is too risky to explore-- but even then, they've made their workaround (Kou learning MMA).

Vampires have always been poorly explained, for all their prominence in the narrative. It's a point of worldbuilding that vampires are so concerned with "living normally" that they barely understand themselves, and they're stuck being overly cautious or amateur philosophers of the vampiric condition. I'm starting to think that point was made as early as it was in order to shush the reader-- to tell them to not think too much about vampire lore and simultaneously sealing the door shut.

We may as well ask about the precise mechanism of the vampire weakness objects, why memories can be stored in the blood, why vampires have strength that contradicts their builds, or why they can float. It's fairly secondary to the kind of narrative this is.

It does matter whether sucking the blood of a beloved subject kills either of them, but it mattered even more that they were concerned enough about the idea that they chose not to risk it.

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
Eh, that's a non ending. Enjoyable chapter but shit excuse for an ending.
This author is unable to resolve his god damned storylines. "Why are you half vampire still?" "UHH DUNNO" "Dont you think it relates to the answer to our problem?" "HAHA DUNNO" And twice he's ended his work in time skips, which just shows what what a limited writer he is.
You aren't wrong, but if the vampires don't really know that much about themselves you can't really expect Kou to figure them out before the one-year time limit of turning into a vampire runs out. Especially since Anko has already been researching vampires for a decade and doesn't have a clue herself.

So your options for an ending are this one (where Kou prioritizes reuniting with Nazuna), an ending where Kou moves on and falls in love with someone else (edit: which he really doesn't seem likely to do, since he's already outright rejected his classmate that confessed to him, the entire vampire girls club, and Anko), or an ending where Kou prioritizes finding these answers over actually reuniting with Nazuna and they end up like the other vampire we met in this chapter. Or the series completely retools itself into/spawns a sequel about the years-long adventure to find those answers. Or maybe we get an epilogue in the tankoubon that time skips past that and infodumps it on us. I'd maybe be up for a sequel but the rest of those sound more disappointing.

Last edited:

jak

Contributor
I mean I guess.

Guess the author forgot that she's supposed to be some weird human vampire hybrid. Seems like that should factor into all of this.

Meh ending to an otherwise great series. ¯\(ツ)

Dex-chan lover
Eh, that's a non ending. Enjoyable chapter but shit excuse for an ending.
This author is unable to resolve his god damned storylines. "Why are you half vampire still?" "UHH DUNNO" "Dont you think it relates to the answer to our problem?" "HAHA DUNNO" And twice he's ended his work in time skips, which just shows what what a limited writer he is.

I GUESS this was less shit than I expected, but just because he didn't have the balls to see it through and gave Kou some initiative, which he lacked in the last chapter. And Nazuna saying out loud he's the man she loves basically ended everything on a fan positive note...

that being said, this isn't an ending.

Came here to see if the same people would respond within minutes of it being uploaded, forming an opinion of the ending and the whole series with no real reflection, and immediately vomit their edgy criticism of an award winning author.

And I really, really wasn't disappointed.

You know, it doesn't even matter if you're right or wrong, or if I make some argument about different writing styles and story forms, or whatever. Your attitude is pre-meditated, attention seeking, and disgusting. It's particularly disgusting when you consider you're a leecher who speaks as if they were cheated of something.

I swear some people in this comments section wouldn’t be satisfied by the ending unless Ko and Nazuna got married and then had 15 pages of hot sweaty vampire sex
Some people would still get hung up over the half-vampire thing, or the rest of the vampire lore, or the conclusion of the other characters, or something. It'll never end when people have certain expectations, and are too used to being spoonfed plot.

Imma take my own advice and I'm still turning this over in my head, but for now I'm quite happy with this ending.

The chase would probably keep things exciting, at least. Living together makes the excitement die down hard, sooner or later.
That would have been actually interesting! Seeing him chasing all over the globe for Nazuna and him just getting older and older... Actually... maybe not...

On a different stance: I think this ending is ok. But I would not want something like that again. The time for Kou must have also been worthwhile to explore, seeing him beeing a detective and a highschool boy. Seeing him age more than his classmates (Age as life experience) and just growing up, missing Nazuna and being scarred for life. God, one could have done so much more with this ending, than just 2 chapters of time skips...

Dex-chan lover
Such a bittersweet ending but I wouldn't have any other way cuz it'd just feel like a cop out otherwise. They at least stay partners for life.

Dex-chan lover
I swear some people in this comments section wouldn’t be satisfied by the ending unless Ko and Nazuna got married and then had 15 pages of hot sweaty vampire sex
Not even the implication or the not-at-all-shut door to the possibility is enough, apparently.

Dex-chan lover
Yep inconclusive ending just like the last series let's see how the reaction is LOL

Well, its been a wild ride friends, personally, I enjoyed it. Many thanks to the anons on the weekly yofukashi no uta threads in /a/ for all the work put into translating this manga.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread