Yondome wa Iya na Shizokusei Majutsushi

The mother (the dark elf) gets killed(tortured) by the townspeople since she had birthed a dhampir child(the mc) which are regarded with hatred in the Amir(i think) kingdom in which they reside.
Also he was still only a year old. But he got death magic so yuss ( shit happens)

This novel is not "edgy". After the first few chapters it gets rolling without the "edge" people think it will have. Just be patient.

He doesn't get much revenge on that god, He does manage to wound Rodcorte to some extend in the LN

If you think this is going to go Dungeon Seeker / Nidome no Yuusha. It doesn't.
Eventually the MC's revenge dulls out and isn't driven by it.
He does get revenge on some people... eventually

Death Mage is a extremely good LN. Its almost updates every other day. It currently has 166 chapter that usually has around 7000 words + Mutliple Title and Job explainations per chapter.

what a shitty tragic story.
I do get a murder boner from revenge driven plots. But this is over kill. Just kill the guy and let him rest. This is just a bunch of fucked up shit to piss off the reader and I am not going to get in this boat.

Dex-chan lover
I'm treating this as a documentary. A "God is Shit" documentary.

On the bright side, everything brightens up really quickly after the first few chapters.
As for the other reincarnates... well, lets just say that this will come back to haunt them later.

Aggregator gang
If you haven’t read the LN stop now and go, the manga will probably be dope but the LN is close to a master piece!

Those classmates are shitty as hell...the God is the worse though. I kind of wanted Hiroto (MC) to stand up after he was aimed at by his classmates and kill them :). Maybe i am a bit like a physco tho.

Dex-chan lover
@MarceloYuri For what it's worth, death magic research also extends to life magic. So people studying that magic were also searching for the cure for mortality and incurable diseases, the like. They're fuckers, but it's not like they were doing it for no reason.

It does ease up on the edge after the story finally starts, after about maybe one more chapter. Then it becomes necromancer Isekai with a revenge sub-plot, starring creepy vampire child that doesn't show emotion and speaks in dull monotone. Hero of monsters and undead.

@Enigmeh I basically agree but I still wouldn't call it "not edgy" because of all the nonchalant horror scenarios that get orchestrated with death magic.

ch2 out and im confused af....
is the whole manga going to be very drawn out? if so maybe i need to check back in a year or 2

Dex-chan lover
I would go full Kratos on that god!! Also, can someone tell me if "Mr. Perfect/same name dud" gets beautifully killed or something?

@Narehate
Thanks for trying to clarify. As someone who enjoys playing as Necromancer and Paladin, I do see the similarities. But as much as you can justify "for the greater good", you would also stop being called a "Hero". No matter how ignorant his classmates were, you can't have 100 OP little Hitlers walking around. That would just be a huge hypocrisy from the writer. Thus why I didn't really like the story. It feels too forced for my taste. But I will linger a little longer to see what is going to happen. And I won't be down voting it. Don't want to shoo away people that might enjoy just because I am hard to please and nitpick, I know that is my flaw :p

Can someone explain to me why there's a fucking doppelganger of the MC that's caused all the misfortune to happen in the first place?

This is some rage inducing shit.
And his new mom is gonna get killed because why not?

highly recommend the wn/ln. Especially for those that are usually quick to judge stories in the first few chapters!

Dex-chan lover
@MarceloYuri
About the classmates:
The 100 classmates have been alive in that world for a long time now, and since they had powers no one else had, they all kind of gathered together into a group that acted as something of a secret, special force unit of the government or some shit. This was a mission they had to go defeat an undead that was rampaging in a laboratory, so, well, you know what happens. They just completed their mission. None of them knew it was him.

@ShiningMeow
First question
I'm completely caught up on what's been translated of the novel, and nothing about that coincidence has been established yet. It just seems like it just happens that there were exactly 101 students, and one of with a nearly identical name and appearance to them received all the powers he was supposed to have. Obviously, with the way I phrased that, I don't think it was a coincidence, so I'm just waiting for some kind of reveal. It could just be a complete red herring though.

The doppelganger himself is basically just "idealistic main protagonist of some generic manga/jrpg that wants to save everyone," and there doesn't seem to be anything strange about him otherwise. Maybe just a representation of what Vandalieu would have been were he not so unfortunate.

Last question
Yes, she does get killed, though she still continues to live as a spirit. Personality completely intact and unaltered, though only because he was able to obtain one of her bones which is basically her host, or something like that. She isn't pissed off or anything either, she's more just worried about Van for the most part, and trying to be a mother to him despite being dead. It's all wholesome.

His mother's death more or less marks the end of his misfortune though, so if you think it's just a chain of tragedies that never ends, it won't be. Van's primary goal becomes to revive her into a physical body.

Spoilers everywhere. I've already read the WN, but I'm still annoyed by everyone being so excited to tell everyone about how great the story actually is. I especially hate people who go "Trust us guys, it's better this time!" because even if it is, it's completely unconvincing.

That said, for those who haven't read the web novel, but still aren't sure about whether or not you should read this manga, just know that Death Mage isn't as edgy as it first appears.

If he had spoken up in his first life he could have had better, or spoken up at the first reincarnation. Hella plot holes in this one, like a lot of the other ones.

Still reading it tho

Users who are viewing this thread