You'll never believe what happens if...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lin

Group Leader
I sometimes visit a local second-hand bookstore for english translated manga because they usually have them in good condition. Bookstores that sell new will often just carry the usual series (one piece, naruto, shokugeki, etc.) which I'm not interested in to be fair.

I've bought a few raws from amazon jp using a third party, but otherwise I'll just visit some bookstores to check what they have.

I do believe having physical copies of manga (or any book actually) is great, the touch and scent of the paper is just something you can't get from reading off a website.

edit: I have considered buying some raw manga from the links you guys have, yes.

Group Leader
Have you followed any of the links to Amazon, EBJ, CDJapan, etc and bought any copies of your favourite manga?
Yes, usually Amazon.

How often?
Usually I just go to Amazon directly, but for most 1st volumes I have followed the link here.

And if you are willing to share, how much have you spent?
I buy around 4-5 tanks a month.

What do you actually do with your copies, if you can't read it?
I can read them, but I don't, as usually I only buy what I've already read (maybe I read the extras). I buy them to support the authors and because I like having them

Would a list of upcoming releases for new volumes interest you if we had it on the site?
Yes! I keep missing some releases, so being able to see them while I'm reading things here would be appreciated.

Dex-chan lover
Have used the official english links so far to buy Volume 8-9-10-11 of “My boy in Blue” and Volume 7-8-9-10 of “Takane to Hana” I am happy links are listed since it’s an easy way to track, buy, read.

I never use any of the links. My main source of manga comes from archonia.com. Omnibuses I get from a plethora of other options, usually Dutch websites like bol.com, since they're cheaper.

Licensing announcements might be nice though, but that would save me like 5 minutes a week, so there's not a lot of merit in adding such a feature maybe. :p

Fed-Kun's army
@ixlone I spend around $9-18 a month supporting one of my favorite manga. Let's leave it at that 🤷🙅💁

Supporter
There's only one business with 3 stores in total (plus the online purchasing), in the entire country where I live, that sells manga, light novels and so on. Most translated only to English, with only a few translated to my first language.
I actually prefer the English translations, but I digress.

I've spent a lot of money through the years on manga pockets and light novels especially, but the selection is very limited. Because the effort and time it takes for them to get licensed where I live is enormous, and relies on Viz Media Europe most of the time.

It'd be great if you could just drop a link to a list of licenses for each region, instead of showing a limited list yourselves here on mangadex which presumably would be limited to American licenses, yeah?

I've been collecting manga for 7 years, but since I live in a third world country. The total amount of money I've spent is only around 90$.

in the past i bought manhwa from online korean booksellers (manhwa volume, korean language); nowadays i buy mostly from amazon kindle (digital manga in english). they entail a mix of personal consumption and translating; i estimate i spent a total of 500 to 600 in total, give or take a hundred.
i've never used links from MD for purchasing manga raws, because i don't read japanse.
and i don't believe i will make use of links here unless they lead to manhwa publications.

MD@Home
I never buy the foreign ones as I do not want ones I can't read.

I do purchase some series that I like that I found have been translated, but not in the same quantity as what I've been consuming.

Group Leader
I used to buy a ton of domestic manga. But then I moved and haven't unpacked any of it. I just stopped because I was in a very small space for quite some time and had no place to put new volumes. Combine that with the fact that domestic releases were often YEARS behind the JP releases, I just stopped.

I did buy the complete Love Hina set in both English and Japanese back in the day though. Thank you Kinokuniya.

Buy the hardcopy or pay for the soft copy if the product is available in my country, cuz region pricing and shipping and tax problem.

I buy most volumes from series I really like. Probably 2-3 translated volumes a month from Amazon or the publisher's website. Around $30 for them. I've got a few shelves worth currently.

I've also gotten a few series imported from Japan because I love the artist/series and want to support them. I have unofficial translations for those series that I can read online, but the author deserved the extra support.

I don't really have interest in adding an upcoming volumes section to the website.

Ahhh... What else do I have to spend my Social Security check on besides Manga? I do buy the official English publications of my favorite manga and Light Novels and anime DVDs when they become available and I have built quite a collection over the years. I won't buy the original Japanese language raws since I can't read them, but I do like to support the author by purchasing licensed English volumes.

I prefer hardcover copies, but since most manga is only available in paperback, I laminate the covers to help protect them.

These days, my biggest problem is my shrinking amount of bookshelf space, or, to be more accurate, my shrinking availability of wall space to hang any new bookshelves that I build to hold my expanding personal library.

Dex-chan lover
I've bought about £40-50 worth of manga off renta from seeing the link to the official english site (after reading what was there) I think over the last year and a half, it's only happened twice so far for me. I tend to just find something I'd like to read now, see it has an official store and more vols on there, then buy the points or whatever and incidentally end up using the points on other interesting titles because they net you a couple vols.

also bought 3 vols of a title off comixology once I realised it was on there from seeing the official store link.

Other than that if I really like a manga and the translation god's are merciful I make plans to save for the physical English translated volumes, bought fruits basket another that way. Also downloaded manga+ after realising it was free, official, my preferred langjage and you could read stuff easily on there.

I don't buy raws ever if that's info you want to account for(I can't read the languages they originate from after all). ....although I would buy a physical edition of sengoku youko even in Japanese but that's unlikely to happen. ;-;

I always check if the raws are free and when they are I like to guess why they translated in a certain way.

As for if I buy manga from Japan, It really depends on how much I liked the manga.

I recently bought "Fukakai na Boku no Subete o" from cdjapan and will continue to get all the volumes but it's a once in a blue moon thing since it's way too expensive for my budget.

I get Manga Time Kirara Forward every month from bookwalker digitally because overall it's 8x cheaper but I really dislike reading it on a screen.

I can read Japanese and understand it but I'm not at a level where I can translate it to an audience.

Fed-Kun's army
I often read official translations if they are available; having them as chapter updates has been one of my favorite recent features of the site.

I never purchased any manga other than physical copies as gifts to my friends. Frankly, per-volume pricing feels incredibly prohibitive for personal use most of the time. Even in a digital format, a typical volume of new material costs around $5–7 and takes me what, 50–60 minutes to read, tops? I don't feel like getting my money's worth at all. It's a lot like buying anime on BDs: acceptable for collecting your most favorite stuff, utter waste for anything else. And when you consider some long-running series like Ippo or One Piece, you realize it's pretty damn expensive to own that shit.

If I could have a low-overhead, subscription-based, legal one-stop shop for digital manga that would serve official translations with an ability to archive and access them offline and publish unofficial translations when no better options exist (basically Steam), I'd gladly pay some $20–25 a month for the service. I don't even care if it won't simulpub; quality trumps speed in my opinion. But as long as the market is fragmented into half a dozen publishers with each having different distribution models and formats, overhead gets crazy and defeats the point. No point paying a hefty subscription fee for 5-6 ongoing series, no point buying separate volumes; thus I end up not paying for anything at all. Back when MAL made steps towards integrating a manga shop into the site, I wrote this on their questionnaire, but nothing's changed so far.

If there's an official in a language I can read I'll buy the digital book or a subscription to the author or artist.
In the rare case there's a way for me to donate directly I'll sometimes do that.

Not often, only when I find someone I really want to support.

I bought manga for approx. 100 Euro this year, but your ref links only go to the Japanese Amazon which is of no use to me. Though, since I order from a local bookstore you wouldn't benefit from me anyway. I am thinking about supporting you, but I'm not sure yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread