Usotsuki Satsuki wa Shi ga Mieru - Vol. 9 Ch. 83 - Future

Dex-chan lover
:qq: noooooooooo come back. I beg you. I'll go back to unemployment again if I'm not allowed too much good stuff on life. Give me back muh girlz waaaahhhhhhh :meguuusad:

Dex-chan lover
Explain how?
The story is working through what it means to save others and the reasons why you'd do that and the reasons why you wouldn't and the value in life. It has used Satsuki, the President, and Komachi throughout to give perspectives, with each of them having a flawed approach.

Komachi views death as a matter of trading off of who deserves it, that, if someone is to die, that means someone needs to deserve that death and, if it's not those around her, like Seocchi would view it, then it must be her. The President looks at the world as filled with people who earn death through their actions so it becomes incumbent upon him to bring that to pass for them. Satsuki sees death as something which is her responsibility so, if she fails to prevent it, she should consume herself with guilt.

Komacchi is shown to be wrong because death isn't about deserving. We all add and we all bring a benefit to the world so, instead of thinking of who's deserving, we can think of what can be down. The President is shown to be wrong in that, bringing about death as a punishment, he puts himself in the position of those he sees deserving of death and inevitably just brings about more death, including, ultimately, her own. And Satsuki is shown to be wrong in that of course it's not all on her. Even tho death is something to be fought against, it's not something any of us need to take on all by themself.

And the plot is constructed to show these perspectives and show them to be wrong, and, in the end, it was able to say that and all of its moving parts found their homes.

So, like, to continue from here would be to just iteratively continue to show variations on those perspectives without really saying much more about them and the moving pieces which the plot brought to a close would have to be put back into motion, again, iteratively. By doing it again and again ad infinitum, it weakens the resolution of all of these parts of it leaving the story as less than the sum of its parts.

Every story ends, and that's a good thing.

Dex-chan lover
he didn't kill anyone directly

...Yes, he did. You're forgetting that reason he didn't kill more people is because Satsuki was stopping him.

Also, please do something like poisoning someone and when arrested for it try the legal defense of, "Well, yeah, but I didn't kill them DIRECTLY." Because one of the things Prez tried was that. And Satsuki stopped him.

also i guess in your mind its more realistic for a highschool student to go around stopping people's death like a super hero

Not letting people die = being a superhero.
I guess the next time someone is choking on their food and needs someone to do the Heimlich Maneuver, I'll just look on and not doing anything because that's superhero shit and I can't be involved in that.

CPR? Superhero shit. And I'm not wearing a cape.

Dex-chan lover
The story is working through what it means to save others and the reasons why you'd do that and the reasons why you wouldn't and the value in life.

Not much of a valid argument because Satsuki slid back and forth on this principle MULTIPLE TIMES to varying ends of the spectrum and just didn't think about it for the rest of the time. I don't think we could call it the driving force for the entire manga when Satsuki literally reacted before thinking for the majority of the time.

Also, how the fuck does my scenario of going into the medical field... not apply when this is exactly what would be happening? Murder suspect comes in, say, and is going to die and Satsuki can see why and could save him with medical intervention... But is in a dilemma as to whether or not to do it.

Dex-chan lover
The story is working through what it means to save others and the reasons why you'd do that and the reasons why you wouldn't and the value in life. It has used Satsuki, the President, and Komachi throughout to give perspectives, with each of them having a flawed approach.

Komachi views death as a matter of trading off of who deserves it, that, if someone is to die, that means someone needs to deserve that death and, if it's not those around her, like Seocchi would view it, then it must be her. The President looks at the world as filled with people who earn death through their actions so it becomes incumbent upon him to bring that to pass for them. Satsuki sees death as something which is her responsibility so, if she fails to prevent it, she should consume herself with guilt.

Komacchi is shown to be wrong because death isn't about deserving. We all add and we all bring a benefit to the world so, instead of thinking of who's deserving, we can think of what can be down. The President is shown to be wrong in that, bringing about death as a punishment, he puts himself in the position of those he sees deserving of death and inevitably just brings about more death, including, ultimately, her own. And Satsuki is shown to be wrong in that of course it's not all on her. Even tho death is something to be fought against, it's not something any of us need to take on all by themself.

And the plot is constructed to show these perspectives and show them to be wrong, and, in the end, it was able to say that and all of its moving parts found their homes.

So, like, to continue from here would be to just iteratively continue to show variations on those perspectives without really saying much more about them and the moving pieces which the plot brought to a close would have to be put back into motion, again, iteratively. By doing it again and again ad infinitum, it weakens the resolution of all of these parts of it leaving the story as less than the sum of its parts.

Every story ends, and that's a good thing.
Exactly. A good story is an argument and it's complete once the argument is fully expressed. It doesn't matter if they technically could have made created new unrelated arguments and continued endlessly. It has a specific goal and a specific set of arguments that it carries out. Once that's done, and if the writer is serious about their work, it needs to end. Every little question or "what if" doesn't need to be (and shouldn't be) answered.

Dex-chan lover
Exactly. A good story is an argument and it's complete once the argument is fully expressed. It doesn't matter if the could have made new arguments and continued endlessly. It had a specific goal and a specific set of arguments and it carried them out. That's where it ends. Every little question or "what if" doesn't need to be (and shouldn't be) answered.

It should be if it fits the original theme and would be interesting. And so far I haven't heard a good argument as to why it wouldn't be other than... "original story done, we end now because good enough."

Dex-chan lover
Not much of a valid argument because Satsuki slid back and forth on this principle MULTIPLE TIMES
Yes, because Satsuki is approaching death from a mindset of personal guilt which the narrative calls her on repeatedly.
Also, how the fuck does my scenario of going into the medical field... not apply when this is exactly what would be happening.
Again, the problem is that it would just keep looking at the same wrong approaches to death without having much more to say about them making the whole thing thematically weaker. Did you not read the post you were responding to?

Dex-chan lover
It should be if it fits the original theme and would be interesting. And so far I haven't heard a good argument as to why it wouldn't be other than... "original story done, we end now because good enough."
Your arguments for why it should continue are what's not really developed. Your suggestions are not related to the main themes of the story. You even brought up another completely unrelated and thematically different series as an example, with this idea of Satsuki and Komachi working with the professor to understand their abilities. That's not what this series was or is about. At this point we have a fundamentally different understanding of story writing and I can't bridge that gap here.

Last edited:
what a letdown of an ending
its hard to find this conclusion satisfying when most of komachis development was kinda just shoehorned right into the end of the manga after spending basically the entire story being cryptic as hell and just 🙂🙂🙂
not to mention her literally trying to kill satsuki during the whole teacher saving part lol did we just forget that ever happened

admittedly im pretty akira-biased (more screentime, development, bonding with satsuki, etc) but yea pretty disappointing

Dex-chan lover
Yes, because Satsuki is approaching death from a mindset of personal guilt which the narrative calls her on repeatedly.

Yes, something we found out extremely late into the manga. I don't accept that reasoning because of it. Also, Satsuki is, again, rarely thinking about this and just reacting I'd say 90% of the time.

Again, the problem is that it would just keep looking at the same wrong approaches to death without having much more to say about them making the whole thing thematically weaker. Did you not read the post you were responding to?

Again, Satsuki isn't thinking about these things and just reacts. It's afterwards she starts questioning herself and it's not so much looking at death as it is wondering if she did the right thing. You cite guilt for not saving her mother, something that we only learned in the latter half of the manga, and I cite why can't she have guilt for saving someone... which she was also facing here in this manga and you seem to have forgotten about it?

Last edited:
Contributor
Underwelming ending but well, it can't helped, better so than drag for months i guess.

Dex-chan lover
The manga might not land the ending very well but it has been a fun journey. I'm sure to remember this manga and the characters (and the art - I love the art!!) for quite some time. I really like themes in this manga. Thank you very much for the translations, for bringing this gem to us!!

Dex-chan lover
...Yes, he did. You're forgetting that reason he didn't kill more people is because Satsuki was stopping him.

Also, please do something like poisoning someone and when arrested for it try the legal defense of, "Well, yeah, but I didn't kill them DIRECTLY." Because one of the things Prez tried was that. And Satsuki stopped him.

Not letting people die = being a superhero.
I guess the next time someone is choking on their food and needs someone to do the Heimlich Maneuver, I'll just look on and not doing anything because that's superhero shit and I can't be involved in that.

CPR? Superhero shit. And I'm not wearing a cape.
ignoring the part where u literally walk up to classmates and tell them ur going to die you gonna ignore that part too?

Dex-chan lover
Your arguments for why it should continue are what's not really developed. Your suggestions are not related to the main ideas of the story.

...You better have a damn good explanation why showing Satsuki applying her powers and dealing with their use is not thematic to the manga because that's originally what it went off of.

You even brought up another completely unrelated and totally different series as an example, with this idea of Satsuki and Komachi working with the professor to understand their abilities. That's not what this series was or is about. At this point we have a fundamentally different understanding of story writing and I can't bridge that gap here.

...Do you want me to point out where Satsuki sought help and understanding from Sensei all the times she was dealing with dead bodies and how he was helping her out with her powers after learning about it? How the fuck is something that literally happened in the manga not relevant to the manga?

I swear you guys are forgetting all this happened.

Users who are viewing this thread