Asebi and Adventurers of Sky World - Vol. 10 Ch. 55 - Emperor and message

@WillLi Asebi's father didn't kill off the emperor the first opportunity he had, assuming he was using the facility for a long time (the timeline he was operating is from before Asebi was sent out so he had a lot of time, personally, I believe crimes against humanity can warrant a death penalty) which makes the offing the emperor thing kinda moot, at least before this hullabaloo happened.

As for stopping the brainwashing, that was what I was referring to. The dad would rather have the people reintegrate to society presumably to remove the tech, which they probably have the know how to make or use, so opening the pods is kinda not on the agenda.

Dex-chan lover
@Rebelos that's why I said we have to wait till next chapter. Because now with the info she has she knows stopping the emperor is the best thing for everyone. Up until this chapter, she didn't have the full story so her actions were better (though still super selfish, cause she left the MC group for dead, since they lost both the people capable of maintaining that very important shield in one go, they just lucked out and managed to get there without anything going wrong) If Licorice knowingly chooses her family over the safety of everyone(not like they can't come up with a way to not brainwash some people anyway, Asebi's sister did say "Let's leave her family out of this") then she is a bad person. If she stops the emperor and then with teh group comes up with a better solution, she's not bad. But we have to wait to see what her choice is when she's not being misled.

@shouldsleep I just don't get the first part of your post, I think you missed a few words cause you don't qualify why killing the emperor is moot. As for the second part, you can open a single pod, they might all be on the same 'system' but if you go up to one of the pods and physically tamper with it I bet that wont cause every pod to open. So like cut the power to the emepror's pod, for it open and get rid of him. I'm sure there are other bad people, but pretty sure it's not everyone.

Double-page supporter
No, you're wrong. Licorice is already a bad person. Left them to die and had Asebis core killed. Fuck her.

Fed-Kun's army
Why didn’t she heal herself BEFORE sending the message again?

Dex-chan lover
The Doctor is only 'wrong' because he was doing the entire thing for revenge - also that unrelated people were getting wrapped up in his little scheme.
He's way more right than Licorice, even before the Emperor casually walked in and proved his point even further. Licorice is a little too uh... trusting I guess. She's delusional believing that they would be beneficiaries to an undeveloped society. I wish the Author wasn't so quick in proving the Doctor right to allow tension to be maintained.
Honestly there's not really a right answer to this situation which is pretty fun to me IMO, there certainly are wrong ones however. I'll be interested to see what ends up happening. I mean technically these people have been 'dead' to the rest of the world for ages. What rights do people who were gone for so long have over the survivors still living? If you had to choose between the two you would certainly choose those who carried on right? Rather than the former who have been in cryostasis.

I've got a feeling it'll all just 'work out' for that happy ending. Which will be pretty bland. Like "It was only the Emperor who was evil!" or "The Combat Modules lied!" or some nonsense.

@WillLi correct me if I am wrong but Licorice didn't order the robot to "kill" Asebi and even ordered Dahlia to help them, also by following the robots the fight stopped.
Even if she decided to ignore the doctor and wake up her people I can't say she is completely evil and I can see her point of view. As I said it's a hard decision to make and the video game Last of us is a great example.
Licorice situation is similar to Joel's. They both must make a choice to sacrifice something dear to them to save the world. In the game Joel chose to sacrifice the world to save Ellie killing the people that sacrificed everything to achieve this and let's not forget his female partner who stayed behind and died so they had a chance to save the world.
In many discussions I had about the game many people said that they would made the same thing Joel did and even the ones that didn't agree admitted that it was a very hard decision to make. The main difference in this situation is that the game made us care a lot about Ellie but in the Manga we don't know the characters so it's easy to not care much about them and see the correct choice. Licorice care much about them however has to sacrifice her parents, her love and her civilization. Seeing from her POV, it's a really hard choice.

Dex-chan lover
Uh suddenly everything is rushed and everyone acts like they're badly written stage play characters.

Wonder if the doctor can shut off life support to the Emperor's pod. That'd be a good way to get payback for his daughter.

Dex-chan lover
I think what annoys me most is that with so few chapters remaining there will be no way for a satisfying ending to happen. I'm seriously gonna be pissed when Licorice most likely gets away with everything and is forgiven just like that. This is ridiculous.

@Rebelos, you're remembering right, everyone's reading comprehension is just shit because they're too busy being angry. A bunch of these comments are ridiculous and impose things that did not happen at all: Licorice didn't order anything, Nazuna's been acting on authority greater than hers the entire time and Licorice has only been surprised and shocked by each new revelation and action. That is to say she had no idea what is going on and is just as in the dark as Asebi has been until something reveals itself. She was shocked when Nazuna shot Asebi in the head, doesn't know about the world shattering calamity's cause, and did not expect them to straight up execute Ayame- she's been played like a fiddle by the security department. This isn't like Gram knowing exactly what he's doing with his overtly villainous behavior and simply not caring because his end justifies his means; Licorice has been a naive patsy ever since Nazuna convinced her to side with Brant.

@WillLi It was moot prior to the current events because Asebi's father had all the time he needed to kill the emperor but didn't.

It's likely to be a morality thing because he had all the time he could need to fix any technical problem but he chose rehabilitation for people who chose to kill off most of society.

Same goes for the pod thing. There's also the added variable that when you open one pod and then you release a bunch of problems such as:
A. He doesn't know what agenda said person/people could have
B. Their knowledge is too advanced for current society, just look at the know-how of Licorice for example.
C. You're setting loose potential mass murderers.

tldr. Him killing the emperor or selectively opening pods is moot(as in not worth considering) prior to current events complicating everything as he never did it in the first place when he could have done it anytime and had the time and potentially the means to do it.

Dex-chan lover
@Rebelos @TheGTF You guys are confusing 'evil' with 'bad person' I never said that Licorice ordered Asebi to be killed. I said she 'left them for dead'. Do you guys remember the team's strategy to actually get to Brant? It involved a shield that relied on Waldecian tech that only Licorice and Nazuna knew how to fully operate. Both of them left with Licorice. In other words, if that shield failed(which luckily it didn't) during that time, the MC party would've died. And again whether or not Licorice is bad depends on what she does next chapter, now that she has all the information. Prior to that is was simply her choosing her family over her friends. Which is a dick move, but not 'bad person' material because they're equally weighted.

@shouldsleep Him having all the time in the world to kill him but not thinking about killing him is exactly my issue though. It makes no sense that he -didn't- just come up with eh idea to off the emperor and the people he knew were corrupt. Yes potentially more people are corrupt, and yes he potentially could've got innocents. But his currently plant is guaranteed to 'kill' innocents. All because "They're all on one system so I can't selectively brainwash people" There is literally no narrative reason at the moment for him to not have just downloaded the emperor's brain and killed him by breaking his individual pod.

@WillLi I agree, Asebi's father's plan makes no sense. He'd be way more successful in just choosing specific targets such as the emperor(who is confirmed to be living garbage) and removed them from existence and then proceed to take leadership in his own hands, to guarantee control over the other corrupt but less powerful and important people. This would be a solution which wouldn't involve sacrificing numerous innocents for "the greater good". We don't know what happened in the old Waldecian empire exactly, but it's almost impossible for every single one to deserve having their personalities erased or changed by force.

As for this: " It involved a shield that relied on Waldecian tech that only Licorice and Nazuna knew how to fully operate. Both of them left with Licorice. In other words, if that shield failed(which luckily it didn't) during that time, the MC party would've died."
This is too much of a what if scenerio to hold against Licorice, yes it could happen, but it's pretty much the same as entering a plane expecting every single flight to turn into a possible accident. Which is actully a lot less realistic thing to happen. Machines rarely break if properly mantained, and for this they need neither Nazuna nor Licorice, I don't know if you guys remember, but both MC and the old captain's daughter are qualified to fix any part of the ship outside of specific Waldecian tech. Licorice was important because she was much more experienced and talented, but she wasn't really irreplaceable for anything aside from the shields.

@WillLi I think TheGTF was talking about ppl commenting things like "Licorice plz die, etc..." when he addressed some comments as ridiculous and not yours.

The part I disagree with you is that she didn't left them for dead she just prioritize her people which is the logical thing to do considering they are in a more dire situation and she share a deeper connection with them. She tried to make the best of a bad situation that's why she left dahlia to help them.

@shouldsleep That's the problem here, it should've been in the agenda. His plan is wrong from the very beginning. This hypocritical solution of "reintegrating within society" is ridiculous, also the real truth of what has happened in the past has never been fully revealed, so no, Asebi's father is not necessarily in the right. Yes the emperor is scum, and so are other politicians and nobles(if they have nobles), however it's almost impossible for every single one of them to have been involved in what happened to the world. Even in my country which has a lot of corruption there are still quite a few politicians who are innocent and properly trying to help the country. To simply brainwash everyone, it goes to show how much Asebi's father is blinded by hatred. Also like I said there's no such thing as "reintegrating within society", there's a reason why heinous criminals get death penalty, some people are simply incapable of change, otherwise there's also the fact that what the emperor has done is unforgivable, either way, the guy should've been killed regardless of what plan you had for the world.

Users who are viewing this thread