Call of the Night - Ch. 199 - A Fascinating Tale. You Should Become a Writer.

Dex-chan lover
I just don't get, with just one chapter to go, what this approaching ending is for.

Romance? Nah main couple split, and the previous couple died
Friendship? Nah, all of MC's connections were still there months ago; and some of the latter ones are "out of the picture" or not too much relevant at the moment
Personal growth? Nah, doesn't seem so, he's still the same
Powers? Nah, he still has that morph power but it's not used for fighting

It doesn't address anything, things are just flowing by with no apparent closure. I'm like "ok but now what? Aimes, goals, whatever?" but I doubt things will change much in just one chapter 🤷🏻‍♂️ happy to be proven wrong, but I don't have much hope.

Also...what fate will await MC? The year thing is real?
Wait a bit, did we read the same manga?
Yeah, there was romance and they split up, that kind of shit happens, but the romance was still there
Yeah, he has friends, most of this chapter was him interacting with them, and he made a lot of friends during the whole series, he's just not around them 100% of the time, and thats normal
Personal growth? Man, this boy was straight up a depressed drop out at the start of the series, look at him now
And one of the main plot points of THIS CHAPTER is that he wants to help the Detective with her vampire cases. And the only reason he can actually be helpful is because no character in the series even compare to him in terms of raw strenght and power (He is still naive and not really experienced at fighting tho).

Dex-chan lover
I still don't get the consternation some people have about the ending to Dagashi Kashi. Hotaru floated the idea of marrying Kokonotsu, vowed to meet him again, and then actually returned in the final chapter. In one of the 4-koma omakes for the final volume, Hotaru gives permission to Kokonotsu to fool around with other girls with the knowledge that he will be marrying her which is equal parts scary and attractive.

What was wrong with her leaving, then coming back?

The romance between Kou and Nazuna is indeed the engine of this narrative, but Kou's original problem wasn't "I want to become a vampire"-- it was "I'm fed up with other people". He wanted to become a vampire because he found freedom in the night, he found freedom in the night because he ventured into it, he ventured into the night because he became frustrated with his stagnation after withdrawing from society and wanted a change, and he withdrew from regular society because he found it (and the people within it) unbearable. And why did he find it unbearable?

Because he struggled to understand other people, girls or boys. He recognized that early enough (ch. 45, p. 9-11), and it was the reason he was struggling to come to love Nazuna at that point.

If you just focus on the "romance" aspect, most of this narrative goes to complete waste-- even most of the parts that said focus would recognize have much less value when examined with such a constrictive lens.
When people start to read any kind of romance tagged manga, they expect to see maybe 100~200 chapters of pure flirt with no direction, then 1 chapter of "Yeah, they fucked, married and everyone is kinda happy forever ngl"
And, c'mon I do read these kind of cheesy mangas too.
But Yofukashi no Uta is not that, like you said the story started with Kou being flawed and unable to function in society, everything that happened to him, including Nazuna, was a way for him to grow stronger as a person and develop his character and his lacking emphaty.

Double-page supporter
I'm kinda glad and sad that we wont get the ending where it started cliché(chapter 195 page 14 made sure of that)

C'mon guys, the story does not need to end with the main characters fucking and havin 8 bazillion kids and living happy forever for it to be good.
My issue isn't that. It's that it's pretty much the same as his last story. If she shows up and they magically get together then it will be just that. If she never shows up again, then I'll give the author credit for leaving them apart (even if it does kinda suck). However, I do expect her to show up at the last minute. I hope I'm wrong and we'll see soon enough.

oh for sure we didn't except that now instead of waiting 100+ chapters from any romance manga to get the main cast telling about how they feel and going out, now we smart author subvert expectations that will show original and complicated we are.
Wait what ? some other manga and western books already managed to make good stories with bittersweet ending without being completly anti-climatic ? Bah you're a imbecile you don't understand what this manga is about. what is it about again ?

Can't imagine how the last chapter is gonna play out, happy to have been here since start. What a beautiful ride, wonderful manga. One of the series where I waited for maximum comfy time every week to read it.

That said it's gonna leave a void when it's finished.

Dex-chan lover
When people start to read any kind of romance tagged manga, they expect to see maybe 100~200 chapters of pure flirt with no direction, then 1 chapter of "Yeah, they fucked, married and everyone is kinda happy forever ngl"
And, c'mon I do read these kind of cheesy mangas too.
But Yofukashi no Uta is not that, like you said the story started with Kou being flawed and unable to function in society, everything that happened to him, including Nazuna, was a way for him to grow stronger as a person and develop his character and his lacking emphaty.
To be fair, despite what I've said in this same thread and elsewhere (admittedly, I get too angry seeing the responses here and run my own mouth, which is why I avoided the section in many previous chapters), I think most readers actually do appreciate what this series is. They're just smarter than me and not slinging shots here in this section.

Dex-chan lover
When it comes down to it, I think most readers (here at least) don't even begin to recognize even the earliest and initial plot points of the series. Which is why it's all largely a waste and why people feel like nothing has really happened.

Case in point. They're so far removed, they really simply shouldn't have read this in the first place....because they weren't even 'reading' it in the first place either.

At it's most extreme, trying to match it to the rags they usually read, and getting disappointed when it doesn't conform to their ridiculous assumptions. When it comes down to it, you realize at least some people's criticism of this series tends to be limited to comparisons to other series or conversations about it's genre, as if certain set expectations are objective rules for a good story. They simply do not understand it. There's no other way for them to attack it.
So many words to clumsily express that you think of yourself as some kind of literature connoisseur authority while also revealing your inability to grasp anything but the surface level of a work.

Dex-chan lover
Well just 1 chapter left and honestly, whether thats Nazuna or Ko and her end up we can at least say Ko grew into a better person. Hes no longer alone hes more social naturally and happy, his first love might not have panned out but most dont at thats fine. We can speculate on what his half shift form means or how Nazuna being a half wouldve affected the bite your love and you die thing means, but we can also understand that from the characters perspective in story they would not want to risk them both dying on a "chance" that it'll be different this time when the 2 previous examples they have with full vampires show a death turnout.

I have a feeling that he was turned a long time, but since he wasn't turned by a Vampire, but by a hybrid he became a even more human-like Vampire hybrid.

If that's true then that also means the one year thing was moot, because it's based on common Vampire knowledge and not based on knowledge about hybrids.

So yeah, I still hope for a happy ending.

WAIT there might be hope... question wouldnt ko turn back into a full human if the 1 year time limit passed? he turned into the half vampire because of nazuna and neither of them were in love.... so maybe just maybe he wont turn full vampire but if nazuna drinks blood from him again they wont die?? i mean she was born as a vampire so loop hole?

Users who are viewing this thread