Votes: 1,944 76.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Staff
Admin
@nonamethanks

You're the one is keeps bringing up storage and bandwidth like it has some relevance on CPU/RAM usage for the scale we need. How does a 6TB NVME server help us with processing so many requests? I can tell you 100% for sure it will be dwarfed by the CPU/RAM availability we have on our new servers - that we actually NEED to keep the site going. Once again, storage space is not what keeps a site going.

If it weren't for MD@H we couldn't afford to run the site. That's why we are careful with our server buying and only pay for stuff we actually need.

TLDR - You don't know what you are talking about.

Head Contributor Wrangler
Staff
Super Moderator
@nonamethanks

>6TB
That fits less than half the regular archive.
>16TB
That fits the regular archive, but there's not enough spare for the data-saver archive and HDD arrays stopped being able to handle our outgoing requests more than two years ago.

That server also has significantly less total CPU power than what we use. We don't have Cloudflare to significantly cut down on requests reaching our infrastructure either.

Yuri Enjoyer
Staff
Developer
@nonamethanks That was merely to give you an idea of the scale difference... Don't be so voluntarily ignorant of the meaning of our replies.

> the absurd cost is driven by the fact that you use memcache instead of something better like redis
surely it's memcached's fault yeah lmao
What's next? MySQL too bad, we should be using MongoDB instead? Maybe also some kinda serverless arch? Event-driven setup?

Spouting names of (cool) techs whose tradeoffs you have no understanding of doesn't make you sound smart to the educated ones, you know

> That fits less than half the regular archive.
Sorry, do you mean image archive here?

Anyway, my post was not mean to attack, merely an observation that this kind of site always seems to follow the same patterns. I could sperg out about how the moment I mentioned lower costs the automatic answer was "you don't know anything", or keep arguing about this all day, but I guess I'll just have to wait and see (out of curiosity) if the cost you're sustaining was justified or if the site will just implode again in a month.

Aggregator gang
@blurgh123
1 master database server
1 slave database/image archive servers
Can you stop using master/slave terminology? The industry has moved on. Major databases now use terms like source/replica.
That's the most absurd "woke" nonsense. There is no real world impact from that, and ZERO benefit to changing it. There are real problems/injustices in the world, and this isn't one of them by any stretch of your fevered imagination. "Issues" like this are a laughing stock. And after you go "raising awareness" of such silly non-issues, no one is still listening when you raise an actually good point. And just why would you expect to be taken seriously after that? You deserved to be mocked.

Let me tell you something AMAZINGLY obvious here. The master/slaves refer to computers, not actual human beings. Those are the most appropriate terms given the roles of those respective machines.

Staff
Super Moderator
@nonamethanks Specifically, the combined filesize of all the images served in chapters, yes. Not including site assets, thumbnails, volume covers, etc.

Staff
Admin
@nonamethanks

I know it's not an attack.

But if we don't say something when people are waaaaaaaaaaay wrong about our spending/needs it will become internet fact and I'll be reading about on Reddit in a month as 100% proven, verified, totally genuine fact.

And yes, you don't know anything. You have no idea how much CPU usage we need, or how much RAM is used, how many database entries need updating, how cache is handled, how many workers we need for the API, etc, etc, etc, You're standing on the outside looking in and basically making assumptions you have no idea over.

And your grand solution from that was "24TB HDD archive servers are totally amazeballz". Kinda proves the point.

Dex-chan lover
Should just kidnap the weebs to use their brain powers to host MD images XD, brain power = unlimited, especially weebs. I do not volunteer as a tribute, please pick someone "smart" like noname

Hold up, so the archive server is the one listed as "1 slave database/image archive servers - $140", correct? Then the two $250/ea slave servers serve db reads only (not counting the API)?

I mentioned the NVME+HDD because that's how another booru used to handle it, fresh data on the NVME and rarely-queued data on the slower HDD.

I ask this mostly out of curiosity, I don't want to come off as if I'm preparing some retarded argument or something.

Group Leader
Fucking nerds fighting over nvmes and hdds
Just run the site on floppy discs

Dex-chan lover
Master-Ichika
Slave-Nino and Miku
Just as god intended, ICHICUTE is ICHIBEST
Also, Boys should date boys, I'm appalled that people even care about whom girls date.

Dex-chan lover
@bk3k

ZERO benefit to changing it

Those are the most appropriate terms given the roles of those respective machines.

Wrong. These are databases. Source/replica is technically more precise than master/slave when describing what they're actually doing. But if MD's database of choice uses master/slave in its documentation, then by all means continue doing so.

honestly if you made this website a subscription based like for even one or two dollars id pay and you guys would get a ton of money

All of the manga i'm reading just have a "failed to fetch" message on the reader now, it doesnt load the images, is there a way to fix this?

Staff
Super Moderator
@puffleluffle Disable browser extensions, try in incognito mode. The site is fine, so it's something on your end.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread