For Certain Reasons, the Villainess Noble Lady Will Live Her Post-Engagement Annulment Life Freely - Vol. 1 Ch. 6

Dex-chan lover
That's completely backwards though, poverty is a result of overpopulation. Too many mouths to feed, not enough resources. There's no denying that great eras of prosperity occurred after pandemics and bloody wars reduced populations. Also before soap work on plumbing and running water but that's expensive and complicated.

Thank you for this new chapter! I'm looking forward to see how they will spread the habit of washing hands widely in the country ^^

Double-page supporter
This story at least gets some points for not pretending that soap didn't exist and having the reincarnator invent it...

@Kevadu Yeah. I had a distinct sense of relief when I read that. They always make the societies too backward. Like, I once dropped a manga because apparently dresses did not have frills or any decorations until the reincarnator came along.

Fed-Kun's army
@Kevadu Next she'll somehow find out how to gild things, grow sugar, etc. The worst one I saw was that people didn't eat rice because it was "animal feed" so the MC saved them from famine... It's like the mangakas/authors have never been hungry before and don't realize that humans have eaten literally anything and everything to survive lol.

Dex-chan lover
I honestly hated shoujo for the longest time. But since Shonen has gotten so samey this is a nice breath of fresh air to me.

Group Leader
Why would soap be expensive? It's literally just fat/oil and ashes. You could say poor people can't afford meat, but you don't need edible-quality fat. You can skim the fat from boiled offal, or use used vegetable/cooking oils. Basic soap wouldn't be cheap enough that starving homeless people can buy it, but it should be cheap enough that noble-funded charities can give appreciable amounts away.

Fed-Kun's army
I was excited for epidemics, but these are rather disappointingly bland diseases, unless our MC misdiagnosed them.

For one of those symptom sets, I instantly thought "oh god, it's cholera - this is actually gonna be a challenge", and instead it's... seasonal food poisoning? What?

@SakuraShower

What bugs me is that when they make them a weird mix of too advanced and too backwards at once.

For instance, double-entry accounting was invented in the Renaissance in our world, for chrissakes, and it's very difficult to support a bunch of nobles in outfits looking like they could walk into the court of Louis XIV (the "Sun King") without the tax officials and merchants in the society already using that system. I'm not even going to name names on series that use that one as the "holy shit, what is this magic from the future?" the reincarnator brings, despite the world looking like one that couldn't exist without it, because the list would be too long.

Honestly, I'm actually a bit surprised the prince is just going along with her, since germ theory obviously isn't a thing here, and handwashing wasn't even accepted as necessary to prevent infection in a hospital setting, let alone daily life, until the late 1800s. Everybody should be staring at the MC like she's grown two heads when she suggests you can prevent disease by washing up.

@omnilynx
Why would soap be expensive?
So here's a really interesting factoid: there was a period of time in England where they had a really high soap tax, making it a luxury only the upper classes could afford . Tax officials would even be present to ensure that industrial-scale soap boilers were locked up when they weren't around to monitor how much soap was being made, so the soapmakers couldn't sell it on the sly. I'm not even joking.

I'm not sure whether that has anything to do with the situation in this manga (it probably doesn't), but there have been points at technological levels near what we see here where bathing was generally infrequent at best, and/or only the upper crust could afford soap (and you'd get fucked for trying to make it yourself).

Dex-chan lover
Wow, the super educated noble daughter doesn't know about seasonal epidemics that ravage the lands twice a year. The "pinnacle" is pretty low.

@EaterOfBooks I think the prince just went along with her because she did just save a bunch of people from a mysterious disease. Furthermore, she told them about the treason plot. They probably think they might as well go with it since there's not really much harm in it and well, she did save a bunch of people from a mysterious disease.

Also, is the series you mentioned Common Sense of a Duke's Daughter? I don't really know much about history but I always had the impression that series took place in medieval times.

Fed-Kun's army
@SakuraShower

Common Sense of a Duke's Daughter is one of the ones that uses it, but there are a number of others.

I always had the impression that series took place in medieval times

That's what I mean about these settings often being pretty schizophrenic on their tech level and what eras of history they're drawing from. Judging by fashion and architecture (and sometimes by the social rules), most of the shoujo/otome game isekai settings are somewhere around 1700-1800s Europe, well after double-entry accounting was invented and in widespread use.

Part of the reason I prefer time-travel 'isekai' like Nobunaga No Chef, Jin, or Thermae Romae, is because their authors usually bother to do the research, instead of coming up with off-kilter mismash settings with bizarrely varying tech levels in different respects.

Dex-chan lover
One look at the horse's expression is enough... *fuck me* is the thought.

Fed-Kun's army
So, how exactly did she become so lazy? In her previous life she was a hard-working person, in her current life she was able to find out about a potential civil war by being aware of her surroundings etc.

Double-page supporter
It baffles me, how did the KING and the PRIME MINISTER doesn't know about an impending civil war against the monarchy?
Is this country intelligence system just the second prince?
Considering that the MC was able to suspect it from just a visit and then able to confirm it, put a shame on the country abilities.

Also regarding soap: in the real world there are multple possible sources of substances with saponification properties (polar head, apolar body or viceversa), also soap for nobility were mixed with perfumes and other additives, that increase the cost.
We also doesn't know the durability of the normal soap and the substances contained in the nuts, it may be unfeasible to cheaply stabilize them to long-term usage, so preventing the making of cheap soap for the poors.

Oh my god they actually didn't know about it?! You mean the first one to notice a fucking civil war on the horizon is a noble girl who didn't even graduate from school while the bloody king and the prime minister and the rest of the government were basically blind the whole time??
Well I guess we now know why's the prince so stupid 🙂
And I don't think that was a good way to mention the slums because I'm pretty sure that the girl who noticed the civil war in her free time should at least have some basic knowledge about her country right?
Ignoring the above I'm interested in the direction of the story. There's no bad romance or some petty drama and I hope it continues like this.

Users who are viewing this thread