Gaming rants/news (Mega Thread?)

Aggregator gang
Gamers get the industry they deserve tbh. If the customer base isn't willing to change its spending habits or rearrange the faces of some greedy corporate excecs, then the criticism just comes across as impotent whinging and the industry as a whole will never improve. At that point, the only options are either to stay and suffer or leave to find a hobby that doesn't center on the passive consumption of media.

Dex-chan lover
Games still have replay value. Granted, I don't know what games you play, but off the top of my head there's Slay the Spire and Hollow Knight. Both have a lot of replayability baked into the game design. Different deck building strategies for Spire and different routes in Hollow Knight (edit: completely forgot about HK's alternate endings).

Replay value isn't necessary if other aspects take its place. If a game delivers a well told story or gameplay, I don't need to play it again. Yoshi's Island and the Donkey Kong Country games are fantastic games that don't offer a lot in terms of replay value. Collecting red coins and flowers or bananas and KONG letters is about it.

Dex-chan lover
@wowfucktron
Games had replay value.
I know game companies today like to pump out the 'mega immersive story and world experience you've been waiting for all your life and are willing to sacrifice your firstborn for'-type games that end up being ten hours (on the far end) of linear gameplay with maybe some collectibles or achievements to slow your pace down a bit, but linear and low replay value games aren't anything new. Ocarina of Time is hailed as one of the biggest chungus games of all time, but I wouldn't replay it unless it had been a few years (or a remake came out).

Games are like movies in that the big budget ones are usually crafted in boardroom meetings where corporate finds out how they can appeal to the lowest common denominator. This is why actual great games and movies come from the visions of a few people at most, in an environment where no one's breathing down their necks to appeal to X demographic or add shitty jokes to retain short attention spans.
Indie gaming isn’t that much better.
some people delude themselves into believing it’s enjoyable beyond sifting through endless shit for an ever increasingly rare gem.
The rare gems are found by the gamerTM community and are given the ability to blow up thanks to gamingTM's modern ease of accessibility. There are enough top tier indie games alone that you could never grow bored. [Insert SpongeBob diaper meme with Spelunky, Stardew Valley, Enter the Gungeon, Slay the Spire, Hades, and
Untitled Goose Game (what did you think I was going to say? Minecraft?)]
The franchise died after Black 2 White 2
This is true. The 3D games increasingly lost their magic with every new title. And the main series games may be continually shafted in favor of FreeTM non-Nintendo-console releases like Pokemon Go to the Polls.

@bigtiddyoneesan
Replay value in my mind means you don't feel like you're forcing yourself to replay the game. Like there's actual enjoyment in a repetitive task.
Like Morrowind/Oblivion, Spore (great game, fite me), MMOs like Neverwinter or old WoW, Baldur's Gate, FPSes, or even something like WarioWare.

There are enough top tier indie games alone that you could never grow bored.
I like indie games, but let's not kid ourselves, they have the same pitfalls as AAA games do.
Instead of marketing teams that dig themselves into holes, you get internet addicted devs like Yandev who dig themselves into holes.

And the main series games may be continually shafted in favor of FreeTM non-Nintendo-console releases like Pokemon Go to the Polls.
Chicky Nintendies recently moved GameFreak's Pokemon dev team into Kanda Square (the big boy Nintendo dev area), so it seems like Nintendo plans on whipping them back into shape after the Bored and Yield controversies.
Kanda Square is apparently known as The Plantation internally (per 2ch) because Nintendo micromanages everyone there obsessively.

I'm apprehensive, I think they've lost their touch and are just riding the brand's tailwind.

Dex-chan lover
God I love artillery truly the best unit you can have in a Total War game.

Dex-chan lover
@wowfucktron
I hope the mainline Poke games are revised and bettered enough to impress. Their target demographic being kids is an understandable but painful excuse for the lack of meaningful innovation to the series. Not like they'll have a problem with sales either way though.

@bigtiddyoneesan
Their target demographic being kids
Pokemon's main demographic nowadays are young adults and millennials. Nintendo knows this, its why every game has been advertised on Comedy Central in the US.
Children are the merch demographic and even then they don't buy much.

I hope the mainline Poke games are revised and bettered enough to impress.
Kanda is where Anouma forced his team to rebuild BotW.
Nintendo will most likely either use this as an attempt to buy the IP off of GameFreak or force them to stop being "smarr indie company, prease understand."

edit: everyday I stray further from coherent thought

I just want Riot to change it so spray patterns in Valorant are set like in CSGO and not just rng. Like there was so many times where I spray 3 bullets and the 4rth goes hard right like the enemy has some force field around her. I can’t even adjust my aim in time because it is rng.

Dex-chan lover
@wowfucktron
Pokemon's main demographic nowadays is young adults and millennials.
Do you have a source on that?
Source?
A source. I need a source.
Sorry, I mean I need a source that explicitly states your argument. This is just tangential to the discussion.
No, you can't make inferences and observations from the sources you've gathered. Any additional comments from you MUST be a subset of the information from the sources you've gathered.
Sample size? Time span of the data collected? What variables are you controlling for?
You can't make normative statements from empirical evidence.
Do you have a degree in that field?
A college degree? In that field?
Then your arguments are invalid.
No, it doesn't matter how close those data points are correlated. Correlation does not equal causation.
Correlation does not equal causation.
CORRELATION. DOES. NOT. EQUAL. CAUSATION.
You still haven't provided me a valid source yet.
Nope, still haven't.

(I'm not actually adverse to believing this, but there is a difference between who plays the games and who they're targeting to play the games. And idk how much surveys and shit would help due to sampling issues.)

GameFrick can go to heck either way!

EDIT: D:<

Dex-chan lover
ioMDrvP.png

Dex-chan lover
The FGC (Fighting Game Community) is one of the most ego-inflated, sheep communities in gaming, all the while they sit there taking the biggest craps from their devs with little to no pushback. Recently this has changed but only because someone of higher notoriety in that community pointed out that the FGC is a bunch of cowards because they refuse to criticize the games and devs they support when they absolutely need to.

The guy then gets a ton of excuses as to why they don't or why they shouldn't bother or why fighting games are just harder in general - the man proceeds to shoot all of them down with the clarity and precision of a high powered telescope but people STILL wanted to push back. One of the issues he addressed was Netcode and how fighting games in comparison to other genre have absolutely garbage online play. As more prominent members started giving their 2 cents and saying he was right, the community changed it's mind. It took all of 6 months (at most) before game devs started responding to the criticism.

The amount of bickering and arguing and excuse making that went on in the early days of that conversation was nuts, because no one asked for anything other than basic stuff games SHOULD have. But here's the kicker. People were arguing this stuff LONG before this one guy said anything and nothing changed. The FGC wonders why it's not more popular with people and it's clearly because few of that community have the courage to stand up and say "Treat us better, we're paying customers!" No one wants to play a game genre where the games barely function as game.

All the while acting like their games are superior because it's "more difficult" (it isn't).

Game devs don't make games for fun (only), they make them for money. Your money. You have the right to demand that a product made to satisfy YOU should be better if it wants your money.

Dex-chan lover
@MawMaw How is it possible to make someone love and hate you so much at the same time? What is this witchcraft and wizardry?

Dex-chan lover
Why must the sns be so complicated man I swear hh are easier to use than this shit.

Contributor
Just skimmed the latest Nintendo Direct; the amount of entitled salt in the chat was enough to season a planet.

Dex-chan lover
What got announced? I'm pretty casual when it comes to nintendo games these days. Only got BotW and SSBU.

@bestboy
Skyward Sword Switch port, Pyra for Smash, and Splatoon 3 (😩).

I’m probably missing something but I only care about the above...

We’re probably getting a Pokemon direct in the next week or two, if historical precedent is followed.

Users who are viewing this thread