I'm in Love with the Villainess - Ch. 40 - Dancing Maiden

Dex-chan lover
I had to catch up with last few chapters, and for how much this story likes to be as convoluted as possible and adding plot twists on top of plot twists, that was... suprisingly straightforward for such a "crazy" plan, just use that magical artifact that does exactly what we wanted to accomplish? I'm not sure why was it important to get Misha to directly help, was having everyone hear it even that important for the plan to work?

But of course they had to add something out of left field to top it off, so I'm kinda looking forward to the next episode of His Majesty's Secret Service Agent Rei lol, probably with double agents, triple agents, betrayal, magical gadgets and who knows what else.
Misha's mastery over sound allowed Yu to make the declaration and announcement without being overruled by another voice. In addition, she ensured that everyone in attendance heard Yu clearly so there was no way to cover it up with something that sounded similar.

b58

Double-page supporter
Misha's mastery over sound allowed Yu to make the declaration and announcement without being overruled by another voice. In addition, she ensured that everyone in attendance heard Yu clearly so there was no way to cover it up with something that sounded similar.
Sure, but I guess I don't understand why that announcement matters at all at this point. My understanding is that the whole point of doing this during this ceremony is because they don't let Yu outside on any other occasion, but as soon as the transformation happened, why does the audience need to hear it? They more or less see what's happening anyway. Sure, the king and the queen then could plausibly deny it with some bullshit about an imposter, but I feel like the end result would still be the same, Yu can presumably renounce the claim to the throne in private and they would probably send her together with the other nuns anyway. So at this point all this does is unnecessarily involving Misha in the conspiracy.

Unless of course we just assume that telling people the truth was simply important to Yu. The king covered that with some bullshit anyway though, but I suppose they don't have to believe the official version at this point.

Dex-chan lover
Sure, but I guess I don't understand why that announcement matters at all at this point. My understanding is that the whole point of doing this during this ceremony is because they don't let Yu outside on any other occasion, but as soon as the transformation happened, why does the audience need to hear it? They more or less see what's happening anyway. Sure, the king and the queen then could plausibly deny it with some bullshit about an imposter, but I feel like the end result would still be the same, Yu can presumably renounce the claim to the throne in private and they would probably send her together with the other nuns anyway. So at this point all this does is unnecessarily involving Misha in the conspiracy.

Unless of course we just assume that telling people the truth was simply important to Yu. The king covered that with some bullshit anyway though, but I suppose they don't have to believe the official version at this point.
Yu wanting to publicly confess it was part of it. But there's a high chance that if Yu did this privately then she would've been locked up and resubjected to the curse before anyone was the wiser. By making it such a spectacle the castle needed to give a different explaination.

Explaing that fem Yu is the default state would have resulted in the castle admitting it abused a person for political gain and lied for over a decade about it. So instead they went with "male was default, the stress of the curse ruined his mental health please pray for him". Which deflects from them. Make sense?

b58

Double-page supporter
Yu wanting to publicly confess it was part of it. But there's a high chance that if Yu did this privately then she would've been locked up and resubjected to the curse before anyone was the wiser. By making it such a spectacle the castle needed to give a different explaination.
I'd argue it was already quite a spectacle even without the announcement (people already recognized Yu and were confused about what they saw, not to mention the whole kerfuffle with Rei on the royal balcony), although I'll concede it does make it harder to weasel their way out of it, and I suppose a more foolproof plan is better.

Dex-chan lover
Tell me you don’t know how much gay seggs happens in a prison without telling me you don’t know how much gay seggs happens in a prison
Not to mention that Yu is still the child Of the king and a high-ranking church member. She will have a lot more authority and freedom than a commoner sent to a convent because they wouldn’t behave or couldn’t be fed

Dex-chan lover
It’s kind of funny, even though it makes no sense in the story, the TL purposely made the audience immediately switch to using the correct pronoun despite literally going “but wait is that a girl?” after calling them “She” over and over.

Even though it makes no sense, you’d rather not misgender her in a single sentence then have the entire story line makes sense. Kind of fitting.
Ha! Quite so, Jackist, quite so. It'd be funny if weren't so pathetic. Oh, what the heck, I'll laugh anyway!

Dex-chan lover
That was an awesome chapter, a lot going on there. Thanks for the translation

Dex-chan lover
The Twins, Rod, Thane, Silas, The King, the Bauer queens, The parents of the main characters, and Lagretta's fiance are the only straight characters we actually know of.
Then she gets a noble status, and then our babies get hitched and run off into the sunset~ happily ever after...

Dex-chan lover
A wild ride, I was really looking forward to this chapter, and it delivered!
:bocchiwave:
And once again, the manga version proves to be the superior one. As much as I enjoyed the light novel, I can't deny it is also very cluncky and weirdly plotted at moments: this arc, for example, features Rae suddenly coming forward with Yu's secret, followed immediately by the revelation she cares deeply about her situation, as if Rae's just remembered it.

The manga reworks it in a more effective and satysfing story, with florishes that make it land even better - Misaki helping out, either as a ghost or as a dream vision, that's a nice, touching addition.

I'm glad Inori Sensei now has the benefit of experience and hindsight. I will be looking forward to the next issues, featuring
Rae Taylor On His Majesty's Secret Service!
:salute:

Contributor
Ooh, so Rod and Thane knew the truth. And they dearly love their little sister. Enough to conspire against the queen herself. :glee:

Yu, who was a political slave to her destiny laid out by her extremely ambitious mother, finally broke free. She threw away nearly everything to gain personal freedom, but now she can start over with a new life that she has control over. Better a life from zero with an opportunity to be happy than a full life with guaranteed unhappiness for a lifetime.

Misha likewise basically threw away everything for love (even willing to be bi-curious, based on her words, though best case she's closeted bi) and apparently joined Yu in the convent. Yu becoming a boy was probably a dream come true deep inside for her if she were completely straight, but the fact that she threw away that selfish desire to let her loved one live free is a thing of beauty. A toast to this ship sailing. May a beautiful romance be in store for them.

The plotting queen is devastated at the unraveling of her ambitions, but I'm surprised she hasn't done something like publicly push for Rae's execution or some equally harsh sentence. She did try to have her secretly poisoned, but given her high position I wasn't expecting some covert methods to be used.

I guess it helps that her reputation was salvaged by the official story sent to the presses, sacrificing Yu's own reputation in exchange. She has renounced her place in the line of succession anyway, her reputation as a royal means nothing now that she's been shipped off to a convent to live a private life far away from the prying eyes of the public.

Heck, I thought even expulsion from school isn't off the table, but Rae has also many dependable allies in high places. So the king himself has decided he can use her talents, and instead of punishment has recruited her into his service.

Last edited:
Back then I read this novel and enjoy it at first, but then suddenly the writer decide to make everyone gay or incest. The only proper straight relationship in this novel is incest. Damn. Some said that it was not all gay, but none of the character is proper straight. Well, it just my unpopular opinion, but hey why everyone in proper Yuri manga is gay, heck even to the point the side character is also gay. And hey, is not this character in this story supposed from a straight game? Why the hell suddenly all the girl become gay. This just make the story become the main character dream rather than she reincarnated into. I enjoy Yuri manga and almost finish every manga available in mangadex, but that was my biggest question I ever had.

In common media, the gay itself often sidetracked by say they are just close friend, this is exactly like, except in this case the story make every possible character become gay. They are same, rather than let the story flow slowly, the suddenly drop the bomb with easily put label that the girl is straight or gay, and in this story case by make the prince is actually princess. I hope one day I can read story about Yuri MC in a good story, rather than a story about Yuri MC.

Don't mind my opinion. I just wish someday we can get story like Jujutsu Kaisen with gay MC rather than entire story with main focus about gay character.

Ps: I think Gundam Witch from Mercury is one of example

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
Back then I read this novel and enjoy it at first, but then suddenly the writer decide to make everyone gay or incest. The only proper straight relationship in this novel is incest. Damn. Some said that it was not all gay, but none of the character is proper straight. Well, it just my unpopular opinion, but hey why everyone in proper Yuri manga is gay, heck even to the point the side character is also gay. And hey, is not this character in this story supposed from a straight game? Why the hell suddenly all the girl become gay. This just make the story become the main character dream rather than she reincarnated into. I enjoy Yuri manga and almost finish every manga available in mangadex, but that was my biggest question I ever had.

In common media, the gay itself often sidetracked by say they are just close friend, this is exactly like, except in this case the story make every possible character become gay. They are same, rather than let the story flow slowly, the suddenly drop the bomb with easily put label that the girl is straight or gay, and in this story case by make the prince is actually princess. I hope one day I can read story about Yuri MC in a good story, rather than a story about Yuri MC.

Don't mind my opinion. I just wish someday we can get story like Jujutsu Kaisen with gay MC rather than entire story with main focus about gay character.

Ps: I think Gundam Witch from Mercury is one of example

This work, like any other, can be and should be subject to criticism. I would understand if you found the story of WataOshi to be too focused on personal drama instead of adventure, action, magic, politics, or whatever else. Or if you found the drama to be too basic, not compelling enough. I might even agree with you to some extent. But if there are not enough straight girls for your taste, that does not constitute a flaw in the work.

The yuri genre has no obligation to represent or cater to straight people. The quality of a yuri work, and the percentage of straight girls in it, are completely unrelated matters. G-Witch is excellent, one of the most exciting yuri anime in the last decade, but that has nothing to do with how many of its characters are straight. Even if starting tomorrow all new yuri works were to exclude straight characters completely, it could never make up for how mainstream media has treated everyone who isn't straight.

If you want to see straight girls, you are free to read or watch anything that isn't yuri. That's most media anyway.

Dex-chan lover
The Twins, Rod, Thane, Silas, The King, the Bauer queens, The parents of the main characters, and Lagretta's fiance are the only straight characters we actually know of.
I mean, if we're listing out the gay (not bi) characters, we get a similar number. Rae, the nun whose name I can't remember off the top of my head, and maybe Yu (IDR if she ever expressed definite romantic or sexual interest towards anyone tbh, but the one I think was most likely candidate for her interest was Misha)...

Claire and Misha are the only confirmed bi characters, but there's no good reason to believe that anyone else isn't bi, except Rae and the aforementioned nun (who both said they're 100% gay), and I think a couple of the others were kinda put off by Rae's candidness about her sexuality - then again, Claire was too but we all know how that turned out.

Users who are viewing this thread