I'm the Villainess, but I'm Being Captured by the Heroine?! Anthology

reu

Dex-chan lover
@MrViktor even in japan? Because I could have sworn that both shonen and shoujo-ai were used to describe explicitly pedophilic works.
Which makes sense. Why call it literally lesbian pedophilia if it isn't? "Yuri" is obviously figurative, but I didn0t think that "shoujo-ai" also was

@reu man, the description of Mangadex itself is self-explanator
"Yuri is a genre that depicts homosexual relationships between women. Japan typically uses this single category for all forms of these relationships, sexual or not. In the West, the term Shoujo-ai categorizes stories that focus on the emotional aspects of the relationships, while Yuri categorizes more of the sexual aspects and explicit content. As Anime-Planet's audience is mostly based in the West, we use the Western definition for both Yuri and Shoujo-ai. (Source: Anime-Planet)"

Group Leader
@reu that’s only the meaning if you’re dealing with an eastern site/description (and even then it doesn’t mean lesbian pedo, more like lolicon.) In western culture, it means lesbian relationship without explicit sex.
Shōjo-ai
In the 1990s, western fans began to use the term shōjo-ai (少女愛, lit. "girl love") to describe yuri works that do not depict explicit sex. Its usage was modeled after the western appropriation of the term shōnen-ai (少年愛, lit. "boy love") to describe yaoi works that do not feature sexually explicit content. In Japan, the term shōjo-ai is not used with this meaning, and instead denotes pedophilic relationships between adult men and girls, with a similar meaning to the term lolicon.

Also, about yuri, your description is what it is literally, without connotation of the fact that some terms differ slightly between the Japan and western fan culture. Like, they would count Sailor Moon as very yuri. You (and anyone else who wants in on this conversation) can read more about it on the wiki page, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yuri_(genre)#Yuri. That way we’ll all be operating on the same definitions.

but we westerners use the Yuri tag for works that focus on romance, while the shoujo-ai tag is used in works that use a more emotional narrative, that is, more focused on friendship (known as the famous "subtext")

reu

Dex-chan lover
@MrViktor Didn't know md had those descriptions.
Either way that's eye opening, the term has been bastardized to the point that people who don't know what it actually means get salty, understandably so. All I can say is if you want to enjoy something you should take the time to see what it is intended to be(you plurar, not you MrViktor).
This is like a vegetarian being surprised that a slaughterhouse sells meat when it literaly has "slaughter" in the name. I wouldn't expect them to like it but is silly to not expect it.

edit: guess this is also a response to you @Barajou

The aspirations I had for this series... Just a let down all around. Hopefully the attention it got and the amount of people who expressed interest in actual lesbian otome isekai will show creators there's a gap in the market and an enthusiastic audience.

Group Leader
@reu Thing is, that IS what it actually means when you’re talking in a western forum. If you want to use metaphors, then going onto a western forum and expecting everyone to use the original Japanese definitions instead of the standardized western ones is like walking into a chain Asian buffet in America and expecting authentic Chinese cuisine instead of the mild mainstream westernized stuff. If you want the real thing, you go into a hole in the wall family run place, like if you want people using the original Japanese definitions, you go to a Japan-run forum. Maybe they are not like the original dishes, but you know that going in. No one walks into a crappy Chinese buffet and expects quality, authentic cuisine. They expect sesame chicken and cheap meat on a stick and limp dumplings.

Dex-chan lover
@reu
Lol since when Shoujo AI is about lesbian pedophilia?
It's actually translated into young girls love.
This terms doesn't apply in Japan and in western it only explain about girls X girls relationship thats not necessarily explicit or intense.
Most of the mixed one are CGDCT genre.
Sometimes they're falsely flagged or mostly fanservice because the girls acting slightly gay.

Yuri is exactly about love between girls. Even doesn't have to be "explicit" and focus mainly about girl relationship.
If the romance doesn't fall to this category which is on some chapter of this manga was then it is not Yuri and it is may or not be Shoujo ai.

Japan would mark it as one because it has it but probably the customer reviews might not be so great either.

Dex-chan lover
If you guys asking about he Japanese reader themselves,
Go to the Amazon page see review section.
It's all 1 star lol.

reu

Dex-chan lover
@Xaelath
5 star 56%
4 star 21%
3 star 12%
2 star 3%
1 star 7%
Why would you lie like that when anyone can check with a single click?
If that was on purpose and not some honest mistake then that's genuinely pathological.

Dex-chan lover
@reu
The basic rules of review is not about the star rating.
But people who actually review and the number who found it helpful.
The 1* is on top most helpful and mostly have a valid reason.

First time buying shit online?

@reu I have the same sentiment as the others. This is still a let down and I will continue to be disappointed.

Out of all five stories, only one of them had actual yuri. The rest were all just friendship between girls and that’s it. This is my first time reading a yuri anthology with so little yuri so I’m rather disappointed because these stories could have turned out a lot better.

Being friends is considered yuri? I came here seeking a garden of lilies but was kind of disappointed to find only one... like it's just very, very slight hints of shoujo ai
except the first one ofc

Reviews on Amazon japan say similar things, how misleading the title is since there is almost zero yuri except for the first chapter.

The last story was so pointless as a one shot , since it had only plot (pretty lame at that )and zero romance so overall just bland, boring.

And I don't know what the author of the third chapter was smoking.

What a let down XD the art in all the chapters is good, but the stories itself and the lack o romance is quite dissapointing, the first one was good, the second is a big meh, the rest of them, why do you even bother on creating them for a yuri anthology ending them with being BFF´s :/ glad im reading this on this page rather than spending money on this

Group Leader
I expected too much from this anthology
sigh-aioi-yuuko-nichijou-ep01.gif

Users who are viewing this thread