Isekai Munchkin -HP 1 no Mama de Saikyou Saisoku Danjon Kouryaku-

OK, its probably the first time i ran into an isekai that has DnD incorporated into its 'rules'.
story wise i like it and its quite novel, the concept and all.
I do have about 20+ years of PenNPaper Xp though and know a lot of rulesets from ADnD through 3rd ed and 3.5 and up to 5th with additionals in pathfinder and some other D20 based systems.
what i've read so far is heavily influenced by DnD/D20 rules and mostly in the DnD spirit but i don't see it being any system i've played so far.
they all sound and seem reeaaly close to rules i know even across several rulesets, but not quite. sometimes they are way to OP for the level they are currently on.
the most recent things i've read for example would be:

Ranger Skill Rapid Shot: As a fee action, you may make a ranged attack against a target with a lower initiative score than you.
i know a Rapid shot and it gives you an additional attack when making a full attack, in trade for a -2 on all attack rolls this round and also not as a free action. it also has another feat as a prerequisite and a minimum dex value which i don't see her not having.
the thing about having a higher initiative value is a thing of it being the first round in combat and therefore her reacting faster than the enemy which results in them being caught 'flat-footed' therefore they cannot react fast enough. that in turn would be nice for a sneak attack but she is no rogue. after the first round none of the enemies are flat footed anymore and therefore her feat should be useless.
you might argue that she still has a higher initiative roll, but that is not what initiative is about. its about determining the order in which combat participant acts. in theory you can delay your action in a round so as to be the 'first' in the next round which would, if this version of rapid shot would remain valid after the first round, enable you to always have an additional attack each round with no penalty.
that would not be in the spirit of feats as i know them.
if this is a class ability then it would be ok for the first round i guess even though still a bit OP.
feats are supposed to give you an increase in abilities. most of them are rather bland and the ones that give you an advantage in combat always require conditions or special situations that you actively have to aim for or give you penalties in other areas.

Fighter Skill: Heavy Blow
in exchange for a -2 penalty on your next attack roll, you deal an extra 1d6 damage.
this one seems to be somewhat ok, but in my opinion also kinda weak.
i know of two versions of a feat called power attack that operate similarly and both versions would be better that this. you take a penalty to attack and gain double that value as damage bonus(for 2-handed weapons).
as 1d6 averages out at 3.5 you just wouldn't use this ability anymore once you gain power attack in later levels. there might be a case here for making a dual-wield build but it would be weird as she is 2handing i think and also the wording of the 'skill' is quite unclear.

with what i have read up to now i get the feeling that the author might have played either a few rounds penNpaper or played some d20 games, but clearly has no clear idea of the rulesets or maybe even intentionally changed them to not be on point with the official rules. for what reason i don't know. i don't know if copyright is really an issue. or maybe there are no good translations of the rules.
or the author was just inspired by the ruleset and just has no real idea how to design a rpg which is also ok, i mean he is probably not in the business.

i can see how some people might be triggered by rule inaccuracies in this manga but if you focus on the story part and not too hard on the ruleset and such you can enjoy this manga.

also Octopus is best waifu in the story.

@Funkel
adding: a mindflayers mindblast is cone shaped attack not a circular aoe

and multiclassing is normally a lot harder than it seems in this manga where the mc levels at the same rate as his companions

This feels like a really bad replay of the writers D&D game. Sticking strictly to the D&D ruleset is vaguely novel, but only in that its a recognisable "ruleset" as opposed to the largely generic ones these things usually use. But then they ruin it by talking about shit like doing "1d6" damage in "real life". What the fuck is the in universe explanation for that d?

when it finally get to the point where he finds his sister i'll start reading it again till then i have it on pause

@Uthred think the number part of the d6 or such could realistically translate into the "force multiplayer" of a sword or draw weight of a bow and the chance part reflects deviations from the "perfect hit" a 6 would be everything going great, which isn't that common in combat according to most sources supposedly.

In melee terms I view Attack rolls as hitting the target, not HOW you hit them, I think the damage could be edge alignment and such, a 1 being flat of the blade maybe. For a bow, maybe you don't fully draw back or something.

I could be over simplifying it but that's my take.

Dex-chan lover
so I pitched this question on the latest chapter I read but given this is the thread for the series as a whole felt reposting this question here might help too.

Um so yeah with how WotC(Wizards of the Coast) and Hasbro blew up any form of Fan goodwill they had beforehand is this series in Trouble because it's based on D&D and blatantly pulls out the rules or can it pivot to pathfinder or something

Group Leader
I haven't even started reading it yet and I'm already worried about whether or not after 82 translated chapters he has already found his sister...

Dex-chan lover
Um so yeah with how WotC(Wizards of the Coast) and Hasbro blew up any form of Fan goodwill they had beforehand is this series in Trouble because it's based on D&D and blatantly pulls out the rules or can it pivot to pathfinder or something
Maybe a bit delayed response, but you can't copyright rules. Characters, sure. Monsters and races, sure, if they're unique enough. But on the whole, I think the series is pretty safe. There's not much Hasbro can actually do, and if they do pull off what they can, they're going to lose even more goodwill.

Dex-chan lover
One of the underrated isekais. Judging from other comments the rating is only low because people don't like/are confused by the DnD mechanics used on it, which is a weird reason to dislike a manga.

Dex-chan lover
how is one piece over 1000 chapters and luffy still hasnt reached it
We're still not even sure what One Piece is. I mean the best bet, for now, is some kind of information that will rock the status quo of the world and possibly destroy both the Marines and the Heavenly Dragons grip on the world authority

Dex-chan lover
So far the MC is a manipulative piece of shit, who does whatever that benefits him.
I'm gonna drop this series

Dex-chan lover
Before reading this I didn't know what "munchkin" meant to D&D players. I just figured he'd reincarnate as a halfling or something. 🧝

Users who are viewing this thread