Japan’s new invoice system will threaten (mangaka and assistants)manga industry and japanese softpower

Contributor
Here an article.

Now, every freelancers in Japan need to pay a new tax (10%). But right now the industry of manga is really bad because everything works by number of page.

What it means is :

The editor propose to buy the pages at this price JPY 1000 for example. The Mangaka keep JPY 1000.
The Mangaka propose to hire the assistant for help by counting by pages too, another fixed amount JPY 500. The assistant keep JPY 500.

Right now they need to pay 10% for the tax.

The editor won't increase their price by 10% that's for sure so it will remain JPY 1000. The Mangaka will keep JPY 900.
The Mangaka can't increase the "salary" for the assistant, so it will remain at the same price JPY 500. The assistant will keep JPY 450.

Also, each freelancers (Mangaka and assistants) will need to hire an accountant before working in this industry is really time consuming.
At the end, their entry will be less by 10% and their expenses will be the same + accountant salary.

And that's just for manga, anime it's worse I think.

~30% of mangaka will need to fire an assistant...

Don't know if it's understandable, but yeah. And I can't find a good article talking about this issue.

Dex-chan lover
Historically, businesses with annual sales of under ¥10 million ($67,500) have been exempt from the consumption tax. This isn’t going away. Tax-exempt businesses technically can continue as they were. But since purchasers need qualified invoices, and only registered taxable businesses can issue them, tax-exempt businesses will be at a significant market disadvantage.

Small businesses that were previously tax-exempt may need to register or risk losing clients — but if they do register, they will have to pay an additional 10% in taxes.
:questionblob:

Animators, who largely work on a freelance basis, earn on average just ¥1.1 million per year in their 20s, such a precarious level of income that animators will face difficulties whether or not they register with the new tax system.

:question: I can understand if they are lazy to register and paying people to maintain their finances, but the average animators are exempted anyway and so are other freelancers under that sales amount.

“Tax compliance will be the biggest issue for freelancers,” Mizoguchi says. “If freelancers agree to issue qualified invoices, they should offer the counter-suggestion that their prices will increase 10% as a result.”
:thonk:

Contributor
the average animators are exempted anyway and so are other freelancers under that sales amount.
I heard that (onthe radio), freelancers won't be exempted anymore. The minimum income's level has disappeared.

"they should offer the counter-suggestion that their prices will increase 10% as a result"
Hmm, in the animation and manga industry freelancers are already not well considerated, this solution is almost non-feasable...

Dex-chan lover
I heard that (onthe radio), freelancers won't be exempted anymore. The minimum income's level has disappeared.
Thats bad then, are freelancers are also the "freeter" found in manga? I guess the jap govt trying squeeze out more outta these freelancers, looks like they already have vat/consumption tax too.

Dex-chan lover
If you look at the news, when their payroll AND PAYOUT systems become digital, government cares jack ass about it. You know IT gives government FULL CONTROL over their pay.

They are being strangled by the neck and what they are doing is giving the mugger a brochure/petition form.

Users who are viewing this thread