Jitsu wa Watashi wa

just finished this manga.
and while it does drag slightly , and it does have a typical happy ending, it IS a comedy so that's expected.

not a typical harem- which is good, the anti-harem is hilarious (read the manga...)

the art is NOT bad, but does take getting used to- in fact i put off reading it because the mangadex cover, Youko's smile is disturbing on a big screen. also the colours seared my eyes leaving imprints
( tho it might just be my screen) this artist eye to mouth ratio, makes his suitable for drawing a truly scary horror, even in a cartoon style.

now for everything bad i said, this manga still gets a rating of
9/10 from me

not a masterpiece but very close to being one.

Wow.. what a journey that manga was. First off this is one of the funniest manga I have read I awhile, while I'm sure there are more comedic manga out there, this is still pretty high on my list. The use of the horror faces they author draws is simply wonderful and while that is most of where the comedy derives from, even from 190 chapters it's still pretty damn funny. Some people may get tired of the horror faces since it is used quite frequently, for me it was still make me laugh even at the end of the series.

My favorite chapter is probably when Asahi and his guy friends all go to the maid cafe for the first time, that chapter had me laughing out loud for so long just from the 3rd page.
My favorite recurring moments are actually all from Youko, the way she always says "uwow" when around water had me chuckle everytime, the same for even in random scenes and it shows her in the background and her stomach growls is just so funny.

With the comedy out of the way, the series is quite long, 196 chapters. I myself am not a fan of long manga and usually avoid it until I have absolutely nothing to do for a few days(like this time). But this manga kept me so entertained that I was forgetting just how long it was. That said I agree with some people saying it stretches on a bit, I feel like they could have resolved some issues faster or just not have those particular issues since they kind of felt useless in the end. The romance of the manga was pretty good, I dislike harem and love triangles in manga but I guess this wasnt so bad with it, I still disliked it as a personal preference but it did not deter me from disliking the series. All the girls are cute, they have good character development and it felt fitting in the end. I would have loved some final chapter or two about what happens in the future like 10 or 50 years since they are important to the story but we didnt get that which was disappointing, so if you're hoping for a 'what will they be like after the story ends', you arent going to see. Nevertheless it was a great series. I read mostly romance manga honestly, and this series easily jumped up to be one of my favorites.

Tl;dr: Fantastic comedy, great romance, long story(if you like that), great characters. 9/10 highly recommend. At least put it on your plan to read for the future because it is most definitely worth it.

Dex-chan lover
A good romcom to me is not just only showing the flirtation of both MC, it includes plot, story structure and the way to present ' love'.
I have read Nisekoi, strawberry 100%, to love ru, we can't study! and many other classical romcoms. But concerning with the criteria mentioned above, this one will be a legend among all romcoms.
9/10 no doubt, you won't regret to read this, and this romcom will be unforgettable in your life.
Till now, a year already, the MC will always re-appear in my brain after I looked at the cover of it, every single time, with a smile on my face.
Thanks for your work, Eiji-sensei, hope I can read more legendary romcom that are written by you 😊

Dex-chan lover
I hate giving 10/10 to anything, but this series never fails to deliver laughter, tears, and love.
High school for me was in the early 90s, and I wish I could have lived ⅛ such as this series... even without the supernatural parts!
This is the best romcom you're gonna read, and sets the standard.
Seriously.

Fed-Kun's army
hey was the ending a real romance ending ? cause i just read last chapter and it doesnt seemed so

Supporter
Damn, this one's as good as Helck, it starts out a little slow, but by the end you'll laugh, then cry, then laugh until you cry.

Btw, @migh yes, it is.

Double-page supporter
@migh YES explicitly so! the main couple get together like halfway. the major conflict is resolved towards the beginning of a the final volume. i like to call the last batch of chapters "eiji masuda taking a victory lap" its SO RIDICULOUSLY SATISFYING.

gonna reread this in preparation for new manga cause Oooggggg im so happy

@migh spoiler,
they already had children and grankids that come visit them in future soo yeah,very

I felt like the author was dragging out the manga for a while.

Turns out it was just so each character gets some final development and closure. So even if it feels long, it has meaning.

Doing a bit of cleanup for chapter 1. The original upload by VicPhant was the better volume release by Pretty Anon, except that he deleted a couple of their B&W spread pages and replaced them with the color pages from the lower-quality Underdog magazine chapter.

I'm uploading what I have from Madokami, which had two alternatives:

1. The original Underdog release, with the addition of a few nice extra pages from the volume

2. The Pretty Anon release, with the Underdog color pages added in alongside the B&W versions, plus the same extra volume pages.

Overall nothing big, but a few pages added for posterity that were missing before.

Update: Woops, I left one of the volume extra pages out of the combined chapter. Just uploaded a V2 that's added what's now page 9 (the notebook page with TOP SECRET at the top).

I read this one (unfinished at the time) about ten years ago. Saw the great art while flipping around the main page and just had to start it again. I had forgotten how incredibly hilarious this was. Masuda Eiji Sensei has a riotous sense of humour and is a genius at getting his gags across (American comic officianados should think of Mort Walker and the late Carl Barks). Since it's been so long and I only read it once, I decided to take it slowly and enjoy the surprises and the laughs. Definitely a masterpiece.

Dex-chan lover
This is one of my favorite manga of all time. I love the art, the characters, the story, everything.

The repeated gags? Hilarious. I cried with laughter every time
shima got arrested
. The sudden horror panels where the art style shifted dramatically? Terrifying. The Backstory? Gut-wrenching.

Not that it doesn't have its flaws - the arcs related to the
future
are like... awful. They make no sense, and often just add more confusion. Case in point, everything to do with
future class rep
was a giant waste of time. However, the payoff in the
past arc
makes it all worth it. And that's what I like about this manga, things that seem to be annoying for a week or 3's worth of chapters tend to end up being well worth it.

I rarely give 10/10's but i think this one deserves it. I'd love to see an epilogue manga down the road some time, i'd love to see more of these characters.

Fed-Kun's army
Anyone out there thinking of starting this, if you like comedy if you like romance you'll love it.
This was the third romcom I read due to having nothing better to do and getting caught up in it all due to a show that was airing.
After I got caught up with said show I got some recommendations to completed stuff.
I finished the first one moved onto this got instantly hooked and binged it in 3 days and maybe 2 minutes or so after finishing the last chapter I immediately started buying the physical volumes.
I normally hate finishing things I adore.
As the other comments said it does it all and I ended up loving it.
I was happy at the start happy in the middle happy at the end and instead of being sad it was over I was keen to start collecting it.
Genuinely can't recommend it enough.

After seeing the great reviews and rating thought id give this a try, and man was I disappointed. Maybe its just not for me but the constant screaming and some way over done characters really just grind enjoyment to a halt....maybe ill give it another try sometime but man is this a hard read to get through for me.

Users who are viewing this thread