Komi-san wa Komyushou Desu. - Ch. 398 - 3rd Year Summer Festival.

Dex-chan lover
am I the only one who thinks the polygamy end is actually kinda good? Am I weird?
Kinda lol. Like I wouldn't have minded Komi,Tadano and Kawai having a relationship,but these point against it:
1) Kawai had to be part of the gang before Komi and Chadano became a couple and develop feelings in a normal way.
2) The whole Komi/Tadano/Rumiko triangle wouldn't have happened,what would have meant Rumiko would have been reduced to probably a background classmate.
3) I would approve it if Kawai was a least a little bit normal and not a total nutcase.

Now if you would have asked me when the whole Komi/Rumiko/Tadano triangle ended if I would have been fine with a polygamy relationship between these three,I wouldn't have hesitated.

Let's be honest: Chadano is probably the only one who could treat each girl equally and feel loved equally by him.

Football guy and Rumiko may look nice,but I will always prefer Rumiko and Tadano. I feel like Rumiko got (hot) leftovers. I almost forgot Rumiko and the guy interacted before they started focussing on it again after the whole Komi vs Kawai thingy.

Dex-chan lover
Wakai-kun is kinda chad there.

But please stop being such a pussy holy fuck get a grip, grow some confidence already, you're in the soccer club, not nerd manga club or something.

Dex-chan lover
Not gonna lie seeing Tadano Komi Kowai trio is kinda funny. I think its a good idea to take a bit seriousness from the main couple for now and focus on other couple like Manbagi and soccer boy.

Double-page supporter
If their just going poly, which is fine by me, why couldn't it have been Chadano x Komi x Rumiko?!

Dex-chan lover
It's funny how everyone is so twisted from modernity relationship memes that they are taking the joke seriously. Tumblr was a mistake.

Dex-chan lover
I think Najimi is some sort of mythological creature who came to earth and decided to become everyone's childhood friend for fun

Double-page supporter
Glad Rumiko has fully moved on. If she hasn't, I can't imagine how she must feel seeing another girl being "lovers" with Tadano, managing to have threesome (relationship) with them, and the thought that she could have done the same.
Yeah, I know it's unofficial, and the two haven't really agreed to it, but not from Rumiko's point of view.

Double-page supporter
Unrelated to the chapter, but does anybody notice that almost everybody so far Is not on a first name basis? Besides najimi and manbagi iirc.
That’s rather odd considering everybody knows each other so well.
Japanese people can only really do that with family, close friends of the same gender, and lovers. Being on first name basis with an opposite gender will make people think you're in a romantic relationship.

Dex-chan lover
Kinda lol. Like I wouldn't have minded Komi,Tadano and Kawai having a relationship,but these point against it:
1) Kawai had to be part of the gang before Komi and Chadano became a couple and develop feelings in a normal way.
2) The whole Komi/Tadano/Rumiko triangle wouldn't have happened,what would have meant Rumiko would have been reduced to probably a background classmate.
3) I would approve it if Kawai was a least a little bit normal and not a total nutcase.

Now if you would have asked me when the whole Komi/Rumiko/Tadano triangle ended if I would have been fine with a polygamy relationship between these three,I wouldn't have hesitated.

Let's be honest: Chadano is probably the only one who could treat each girl equally and feel loved equally by him.

Football guy and Rumiko may look nice,but I will always prefer Rumiko and Tadano. I feel like Rumiko got (hot) leftovers. I almost forgot Rumiko and the guy interacted before they started focussing on it again after the whole Komi vs Kawai thingy.
Agreed. With the development of the story thus far, Kawai really came off as a "last boss" character, the one final hurdle Tadano and Komi had to cross before they go sailing off into the distance. In turn, that implied to the audience (through her introduction at such a late stage) that Kawai is entering the stage having gone through a similar amount of character development as Tadano, Komi, and Manbagi offscreen. I expected a really long arc where we see Tadano and Kawai have some alone time, and in doing so, accomplishes a few things

1) establishes that Kawai is a fleshed out character in the same way Manbagi is.
2) Add tension to the story by-
2a) Giving Kawai and Tadano the opportunity to reconnect and to show how both of them, now more matured, show more chemistry between Tadano and Komi
2b) Give Tadano the opportunity to grow and to show his struggle as he sorts his feelings about a past love reblossoming versus a new love and a new life
2c) Give Komi the chance to grow and to show her wrestling with genuine jealousy as she looks towards a rival who she thinks might be a better match for Tadano in compatibility/romance/growth/life. If she loves him, does she hold him as tight as best she can, or does she let him go?

Obviously, none of this happened to the extent that I wanted, and instead Kawai gets a bog-standard "new quirky/gag friend arc." Needless to say I was v. disappointed. I can see that there's still the opportunity for Kawai to have a significant character development arc (in the same way Manbagi had hers with the class play and trip to NYC), but I can't really envision how Oda-sensei would pull it off.

In the same vein, I really despise this current subplot with Wakai and Manbagi. Similar to the current portraying of Kawai, he feels extremely shoehorned into the story and that this new relationship is being forced down our throats. While he's been around for some time, the relationship doesn't feel authentic. Maybe Oda is being inspired by My Dress Up Darling, and maybe I'm a Kometani fan high on copium, but these are my thoughts and feelings.

Dex-chan lover
In the same vein, I really despise this current subplot with Wakai and Manbagi. Similar to the current portraying of Kawai, he feels extremely shoehorned into the story and that this new relationship is being forced down our throats. While he's been around for some time, the relationship doesn't feel authentic. Maybe Oda is being inspired by My Dress Up Darling, and maybe I'm a Kometani fan high on copium, but these are my thoughts and feelings.
The problem with the current subplot is that we only have seen Wakai and Rumiko interact once before (they start focussing on their relationship so many chapters ago) that half of the audience forgot he existed. They didn't have time to let it glow slowly like Komi and Tadano or Ase and Naruse had. While it is obvious they both like each other, I can't feel too invested in it. It feels more like an apology after Komi and Tadano became a couple.

Dex-chan lover
It feels more like an apology after Komi and Tadano became a couple.
I never thought about it this way, but it makes so much sense. A sizable portion of the Japanese audience was probably vocally upset that Manbagi lost against Komi (as was the same reaction for the international community), therefore Oda felt the need to apologize by properly sending her off with her own good ending/happily ever after.

Users who are viewing this thread