Kouritsu-Chuu Madoushi, Daini no Jinsei de Madou wo Kiwameru - Vol. 8 Ch. 48 - Beginning Of The End

Dex-chan lover
@Vergilx69 Unfortunately I haven't read the final novel yet, but according to the data and synopsis in Alphapolis (the publisher), it says that volume 8 of the novel is the final installment of the series released in 2017. The synopsis also mentioned the event happening in the manga right now as it's content, so it's safe to assume the manga will end soon since there's no more novel to adapt after that point. The author actually has written some extra chapter after the last published book but has abandoned it since 2017, basically yeah it might be an axe, and the author no longer even care about it. He has long moved on to write a new novel series since then.

N2O

Dex-chan lover
Wtf is this bullshit :p this had better be some sort of illusion that makes him experience his worst fears or something like that, because if that actually just happened I don't even know what to say. I don't mind killing of main characters and stuff but this is just way too out of left field

@Kuraiaku

I see... a shame... I was aware the WN translation stopped because the chapters got deleted from the website, but I thought the novel was still ongoing... at least just from NU info...
It seems we'll have to settle for the original ending of this manga.... like you said, this is probably the very climax of the story, so I guess we'll have two or three more chapter before the final...

This chapter has done something i did not think was possible for me. It led me from being hyped to being ready to drop the series in few pages. For me this manga stopped last chapter.

Dex-chan lover
@TNT261 and @Rhin
It's not bad writing to introduce something during the story.
You are presented with the rules of magic as Zeff knows them and he's probably one of the most knowledgeable given that he's had a whole lifetime to learn before starting again.
It doesn't mean that's all there is to magic in that world.

I do agree that it's a little questionable that Grain actually trained several years (subjective time) instead of a month (real time).
But it seems like the author is establishing here that subjective times matters.
This wasn't introduced before because none of the characters knew about this possibility. And the few cases they had before where people who gave up and went insane. Grain took this as an opportunity to try something new and his obsessive personality helped him push through.

I do agree with the point that the punishment of spending a near-eternity in subjective time is a little stupid and dangerous, even more so when the punishment is a secret.
Killing the prisoner and publicizing it would make much more sense.
A secret has no deterrence value. Keeping him alive and rendering him insane has a much higher cost on the association. Only downsides, and not even a moral upside to compensate. (Killing someone is not much more moral than rendering him vegetative.)

Dex-chan lover
@TNT261
A huge part of writing fiction (not set in our world) is making and adhering to rules and mythos you create. Not doing that is bad writing.
I disagree. It's generally bad writing, but it doesn't mean you can't make exceptions.
In this case, the rules we know are the rules Zeff knows. (Actually less than that, we discover his knowledge of magic as he uses it, so there might be more he knows but we don't, yet.)
So there is room to introduce rules that he doesn't.

It's different, for example, from a story that establishes something from an objective or absolute point of view. (actual demonstration from someone, exposition text, literal word of god, etc.)
Showing someone repeatedly shooting fireballs, only to later have that same character mention that you can't start a forest fire with magic would be inconsistent.
On the other hand, having a character mention that you can't make fire with magic, to have another character later shoot fireballs does work. That helps underline the lack of knowledge of the first character as opposed to the second. Which is basically what happens in this chapter. On a much larger scale.
Rule breaking is only bad writing when it is established by the author himself in a definite way. Not when characters do the rule exposition.

That said, it is a delicate trick to use. It is easy to do something wrong when breaking a supposedly established rule.
This case is very touchy because of the concept of subjective time used here: the mage was not supposed to actually spend years in confinement, it was only supposed to feel like it.
Grain saying that it's enough to accumulate years of knowledge and experience is a fragile excuse directed - in part at least - to the reader. Although I do consider it valid, I can understand that not everyone will accept it.

Dex-chan lover
Wow, this just fucking sucks.
It's not dramatic, it's not tense, it's just...
It's like popping a balloon, there's a big noise, and then just disappointment.
Killing off established characters without blinking doesn't make the villain seem strong, it reveals that the author has all the delicacy of a motorized sledgehammer, and just shits all over everything that came before it.

I think i now hate this author on a personal level.

Dex-chan lover
I'd be more interested in a plan where the MC use his longer life experience to psychologically attack that guy's mind capitalizing on his emotional instability fueled by his grudge against him and his mental disorder caused by living millions of years in complete isolation. And then make him self destruct or surrender or something.

But we all know it's gonna be solved by a couple of gigantic asspull power ups triggered by seeing his nakama "dying" (not really) just like what happens in every generic battle shounen we know and love.

Double-page supporter
Okay lets ignore how this guy happened to perfectly remember the entire world system including the five heavenly mages and their headquarters over the course of 1000 years. We'll just say he created some memory magic so that he didn't forget anything over that course of time. No, not just not forget, but recall everything that he had forgotten prior to creating the memory magic. But wait if he made a memory magic that allows him not to forget anything, then why did it take him so long to recognize Zeff? Yeah... Nevermind, lets move on from that one.

There are some other problems that have been introduced.

If Magic is just knowledge in this universe, then the MC should not have started over at level 1 when he was reborn. MC already had the knowledge, but still has to build up abilities. Now we have a villain stating that knowledge is the only thing that matters. This is contradictory to everything else that has been setup by this series up to this point.

There's no point to the ratings system that shows your max potential
There's no point to the leveling system that allows you to get stronger as you go along.
There's no point to the training that the MC has done or the "special massages" that he has been giving to Redia.

Basically the author just stated that everything he has been peddling since the beginning of the series is bullshit.

I mean in a broad sense that's fine. You can have a tonal shift in a series, but if you are going to invalidate everything you've written so far there should be a better reason than "I need an end boss". I mean you already brought parallel worlds into play with the random Yamato sighting. You brought in science and technology in the same area. Now you are removing all limits to magic that were initially established. Plus you have a character is almost perfect recall of every event that has happened for 1000+ years.

Where are going with that sort of story?
Unlimited potential backed by science, and the ability to traverse different universes or even planes of reality. Not to mention the initial premise which was time travel.

I can't really see this working out well.

Finally not a cliche development that this kind of series usually have and all it get is hate? I mean if you want everything sugarcoated then just don't read anything with a villain, neither expect the established cast to always win regardless the options they take thru the plot, because here they gave that said villain the chance to surpass everyone and instead of wasting it he took it, fucking everyone up.

Is it good? no.
Is it bad? no.
Is just a reasonable development given the way that villain and setting was handled, he had a goal of revenge and resent toward every other character (and a special focus on the MC) and a will stong enough to keep him pushing foward, the "good guys" took a stupid decision of giving him literally thousands of years to develop himself (to the point he created a new type of magic capable of breaking the known world limits), and so it came back to them and hit them like a truck. This is the prime example of the phrase "play stupid games, win stupid prizes".

Get fucked MC! WELL FUCKING DESERVED.

Manga went to shit the moment Time Prison got introduced. At least with this, the manga's over.

@Wyrm Not sure if it's a typo, but it was a thousand years, not 'several'.

Like they literally put a psychopath in a hyperbolic time chamber as a punishment.

Double-page supporter
That's what you get for being a massive beta fuck, MC. Grow some fucking balls you bitch-ass loser beta fuck coward piece of shit trash. Also, the association got what they deserve. That's what you get when you don't just fucking kill the trash who care nothing about anyone else but themselves you fucking losers. Hope the whole world gets destroyed and the story just ends because it's just utter garbage and this story doesn't deserve anything more than just a mention of "and then the world ended and everyone died" - no wonder if the actual story ended up getting axed, because this part of plot was just utter shit. Not that this story was, at any point, any great piece of work anyways, but at least it was passable.

Double-page supporter
@AoKami The author by writing this garbage point into this story. There were a billion and one ways for this to go, yet now there's only two ways the story could, in any sensible way, continue. And those are, either the MC (and apparently everyone else too) dies and the story ends or the MC wakes up from his stupid-ass dream and none of this whole "travel back in time" portion of the story never even happened and he's still old and useless. Anything else is just bullshit, since he doesn't have the necessary power to reincarnate (or travel back in time) currently, and there's absolutely no chance nor reason for the villain to spare the MC nor would he do that even to humor himself as he's now fully aware of what could happen. So, the story is officially over.

Users who are viewing this thread