Dex-chan lover
OMG just date already!
Also that final page "awwww" was so dam cute bit I would have gone with:

1492084191479-Screen-Shot-2017-04-13-at-124842.png
"... Steam discounts... "
"... Aaah..."

Dex-chan lover
Poor math, continues to get no respect.

Though to be fair, the stupidity and hard theoretical nature of some of the questions does cause one to wonder what the question maker was on.

It causes actual mathematician's no end of frustration, too. I highly recommend reading A Mathematician's Lament by Paul Lockhart - it's a short enough article.
I wouldn't bash the system so hard...
"A musician wakes from a terrible nightmare. In his dream he finds himself in a society where music education has been made mandatory. “We are helping our students become more competitive in an increasingly sound-filled world.” Educators, school systems, and the state are put in charge of this vital project. Studies are commissioned, committees are formed, and
decisions are made— all without the advice or participation of a single working musician or composer.

Since musicians are known to set down their ideas in the form of sheet music, these curious black dots and lines must constitute the “language of music.” It is imperative that students become fluent in this language if they are to attain any degree of musical competence; indeed, it would be ludicrous to expect a child to sing a song or play an instrument without having a thorough grounding in music notation and theory. Playing and listening to music, let alone composing an original piece, are considered very advanced topics and are generally put off until college, and more often graduate school.

As for the primary and secondary schools, their mission is to train students to use this language— to jiggle symbols around according to a fixed set of rules: “Music class is where we take out our staff paper, our teacher puts some notes on the board, and we copy them or transpose them into a different key. We have to make sure to get the clefs and key signatures right, and our teacher is very picky about making sure we fill in our quarter-notes completely. One time we had a chromatic scale problem and I did it right, but the teacher gave me no credit because I had the stems pointing the wrong way.”
In their wisdom, educators soon realize that even very young children can be given this kind of musical instruction. In fact it is considered quite shameful if one’s third-grader hasn’t completely memorized his circle of fifths. “I’ll have to get my son a music tutor. He simply won’t apply himself to his music homework. He says it’s boring. He just sits there staring out the window, humming tunes to himself and making up silly songs.”

In the higher grades the pressure is really on. After all, the students must be prepared for the standardized tests and college admissions exams. Students must take courses in Scales and Modes, Meter, Harmony, and Counterpoint. “It’s a lot for them to learn, but later in college when they finally get to hear all this stuff, they’ll really appreciate all the work they did in high school.” Of course, not many students actually go on to concentrate in music, so only a few will ever get to hear the sounds that the black dots represent. Nevertheless, it is important that every member of society be able to recognize a modulation or a fugal passage, regardless of the fact that they will never hear one. “To tell you the truth, most students just aren’t very good at music. They are bored in class, their skills are terrible, and their homework is barely legible. Most of them couldn’t care less about how important music is in today’s world; they just want to take the minimum number of music courses and be done with it. I guess there are just music people and non-music people. I had this one kid, though, man was she sensational! Her sheets were impeccable— every note in the right place, perfect calligraphy, sharps, flats, just beautiful. She’s going to make one hell of a musician someday.”

Waking up in a cold sweat, the musician realizes, gratefully, that it was all just a crazy dream. “Of course!” he reassures himself, “No society would ever reduce such a beautiful and meaningful art form to something so mindless and trivial; no culture could be so cruel to its children as to deprive them of such a natural, satisfying means of human expression. How
absurd!”

Meanwhile, on the other side of town, a painter has just awakened from a similar nightmare…"

Dex-chan lover
As not just a math guy, but the math guy (like founder of HS math club guy) I never really understood why it attracts so much hate in pop culture and real life. It's logical and beautiful and tantalizes understanding of the wondrous chaos that is our world...and chalk dust stains on the fingers are dope, yo :haa:

Also, this:
mz0q03r5j3wa1.jpg

Inspired to finish my April 1 submission this week :thumbsup:

Dex-chan lover
As not just a math guy, but the math guy (like founder of HS math club guy) I never really understood why it attracts so much hate in pop culture and real life. It's logical and beautiful and tantalizes understanding of the wondrous chaos that is our world...and chalk dust stains on the fingers are dope, yo :haa:

Also, this:

Math is a beautiful language

Only if you speak it

Dex-chan lover
I liked math in school and it was usually my highest graded subject, but I always had trouble with the abstract questions and those paragraph setups. Give me the numbers, the formulas/rules, a few examples, lots of paper, and tell me exactly what is expected out of the answer and I'll have a great time grinding away at the problems.

Dex-chan lover
I wouldn't bash the system so hard. Problems with conceptualization are normal. There are a lot of people who have a difficulty with abstract, and they SUFFER when (not only) maths problems get from concrete to abstract. The process of mathematical education is constructed in such a way that it follows the path from concrete to abstract quite smoothly for an average person, but it still is too much for some people. Those people have their own strengths and when you give them enough time and concrete examples for which the conceptualization works. In the case of moving P, maybe comparing the width of a road/track would help? And with the tanks, there are many concrete uses that lean into physics later.

As for you, the biggest mistake ever is to go for a hard memorization. I always had the worst time memorizing dates, but when you think of the history as a series of continuous events instead of those events happening on their own at a specific time, it gets way easier. Only after you understand the events, you go for putting them at the time axis.

And literature isn't mostly about suffering! I mean, films and TV series and comics and manga are also literature.

...I'm a huge nerd, ain't I?
I just think of history like a big, long ass manga that spans millions of chapters and just remember some arcs
or just think of it as human lore

Group Leader
About page 7, what does the "GOLD FISH" text sfx mean in/out of context?
Thank you for the chapter
The sfx is 'paku paku' which is literally the 'sound' of someone quietly opening and closing their mouth, so I went with 'goldfish' as the English sfx because it makes as much sense as anything.

Dex-chan lover

Also, this:
mz0q03r5j3wa1.jpg

15 miles

Dex-chan lover
Goddammit... They're so fucking cute together. They'd be WAY cuter when they realize their own feelings for each other.

Dex-chan lover
Math is easy
One is an idea origin of all keys
Two, opinion, revealing what should be
Three is wisdom, who can make a whole
Four is so powerful to a miracle, yeah!
Five is passion circling to himself
Six, harmony, different notes combine well
Seven is order in nature's design
Eight is love, everything is shared so right, yeah!
As for nine, it is restraint (Uh)
How about ten, the completed and the great
Let's talk about zero, lonely at the core
(What's that?)
Positive, negative, neither less nor more
And thus spoke 37

Users who are viewing this thread