Votes: 559 91.0%
  • I don't think we need one.

Votes: 55 9.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Group Leader
Yeah, it would be helpful. Kinda getting tired from scrolling through 'reincarnation' tag to find some decent villlainess. Hell, maybe some good one didn't even have that tag on (since it's not isekai but time-travel.)

We have a lot of tag by female type, what's the bad deal of adding one more.

Kie

Contributor
Just another note to make the case for the tag: there exist a number of tags on MD that have work counts of less than 100 (aka less than 100 works use the tag). These include Ninjas (70 titles), Traditional Games (55 titles), and [url=https://mangadex.org/search?tag_mode_exc=any&tag_mode_inc=all&tags=81]Virutal Reality (77 titles)

If we expand that to tags that include less than 200 works, then we'll see these tags: Wuxia (143 titles), Philosophical (166 titles), Magical Girls (152 works), Superhero (177 titles), Medical (144 titles), Aliens (197 titles), Mafia (140 titles), Reverse Harem (130 titles), Samurai (123 titles), Gyaru (104 titles), Police (185 titles), Incest (197 titles), and Zombies (114 titles).

The Villainess tag would have at least over 200 titles. It's a tag that, by the numbers, would be more than justified in having.

Dex-chan lover
Since we're down to repeating ourselves to reinforce our argument, I just want to reiterate that if you want to shove this genre of works (antagonist but not really) into the "Villainess" tag, there's inevitably going to be a "Villain" tag request. Just think of a better tag word to encompass them all.

Group Leader
@Halo And see? That's the problem. You don't get to choose the demographic as a fan, the publisher chooses the demographics of the work. The magazine they run the manga in determines the demographic. Not what you think it should be, it is Shounen because the magazine is shounen. It is demographic, the target audience as determined by the publisher, not who the fans think it appeals to more. By this logic, most korean and chinese manhwa/hua shouldn't have those demographic tags at all, those are just what the scanlator thinks they should be, as Shounen/Seinen/Shoujo/Josei are Japanese publisher tags for magazines. Virtual webcomics work in different demographics, for example, from what I know of popular korean Kakao Page, they have Pure (female-oriented), Drama, BL, Boys (male-oriented), and Action/Martial Arts. Those are the categories, the "demographics" they appeal to. But MD was built around more traditional Manga ideals, thus the japanese demogaphic tags. In all honesty, I think it should be done away with, because people don't understand what demographic means, and just because it is a demographic doesn't mean it doesn't actually appeal to a different demographic more.

Sorry if it comes off as ranty, but people really don't understand the demographics of manga and I wish they did 😭

Group Leader
@BestBoy I would honestly like a Villain tag, one that indicates the protagonist is an actual villain (so I guess Villain Protagonist for a more proper tag term), for things like Overlord and Youjo Senki, where we actually get a villainous protagonist. A couple Villainess might cross into there (since there's a couple truly villainous ones), but not most (because Villainess means something entirely different from Villain Protagonist).

Dex-chan lover
@Solistia As I've already pointed out, there exist "character thrust into villain role, but aren't villains" with male MCs. They wouldn't fit in a "Villainess" tag.

Dex-chan lover
Villainess means something entirely different from Villain Protagonist
what in the tarnation are you into? Villainess -> feminine form of Villain.

Dex-chan lover
Wait, so this "Villainess" tag is just actually the "Antihero"?

Fed-Kun's army
If you want all the tags, go on Mangaupdates. 90% of all sites use the same tags as MD.

hey op...may i advertise poll for votes somewhere else also...like on novel updates forum..pretty please><

Dex-chan lover
@NixenSya yea, those tags you mentioned (ninja and gyaru), I find are weirdly specific. Tho I stopped really thinking about tags much when manga like this got tagged as Gender Bender when it was one scene so far. Well at least my opinion is known.

I will reiterate that I like tags that you use in conjunction with other tags to find something like the combination, as others have stated, just because it's tagged villainess, doesn't exactly mean the protag is the villainess, but then we have manga like this that uses the tropes of "the villainess", where a villainess is misunderstood as bad, has villainess in the title, but the protag isn't female (well maybe, there are two protags, but I consider the lead to be Prince guy) and all that. If it was like "villainess lead" or smt, i'd be less worried, but then that sounds too specific, since the tags like Gyaru are just added if those are present (not exactly if they are important to the story, but nuances, blah blah.

TL:DR I like using combos (if possible) rather than specific tags, and the current suggestion is a bit too vague (as stated by others) and also there is a villainess manga without a female lead, so I was wrong (lol?)

Dex-chan lover
The call to action chapter, current total views: 19,854
Current yay: 385
Don't care = total - yay.

Behold!
1NS8kFS.png

Ouch. Yeah, I think I'm over it. Just let OP have their tag.

Group Leader
@Coffee_2512 Feel free!

@Halo I'll take your support as a win 8D And nice graph!
And yeah, most people just want to read, but for those that care about tags (like me), I started this campaign 😍

here are my views. I don't know why the admins are opposed to adding this, so if someone can tag me and tell me their stance , It would be really helpful.

Why can't we add additional tags, if it really help, like a lot of people to find to find similar Manga which they love to read.

I would take back my words if someone tell me a effective way to search all villainess manga present on this site.
you can't.
so it would be really helpful if they could add a villainess tag.

I don’t understand why adding more descriptive tags is never not a good thing tbh. So like +1

i support. i say we add both villain and villainess tags, but i don't think it should apply to the stories where they're thrown into the role. in those cases, they usually turn complete 180 and go nice a few chaps in, then become the nice guy and that doesn't support "villain(ess)."
i say only apply to the stories where they stay a villain(ess) for at least half the story. then we get some legit evil mcs. cuz half (fuck it, most) the stories with "villain(ess)" in the title have dense, naive, and way too nice mcs. like come on, i want some evil schemes and some big brain plots. those are much more fun.

@meijune A villainess that stays as villain would be an exception, not the rule. I can think of only one or two stories that fit that description. Your asking for a tag that is yet to be made to be even more niche.

I just can't believe people that arguing against this don't even read/know the villainness trope.
It will be really helpful for the readers and don't do much against to the non-readers

Actually the "reijo" tag is a lot more akin to what I was looking for before. I understand the villainess one is a lot more iconic but is a far more circumstantial then the reijo/reijou suggestion. :/ Oh well

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread