Reader update (tl;dr - if you need the data saver mode, you have to turn it back on)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Double-page supporter
Thought it was Holo posting for a second...
L70Y0EV.png

- In desktop mode, the sidebar collapse button has been moved. Enjoy your perfectly centered images (or get annoyed that you already got used to them being slightly off-center).
I prefer to keep the sidebar open, so not much changed 🙂 Good effort though.

cool, can you work on the comments section at some point ? not being able to reply to someone directly and not being able to like/upvote/downvote comments kinda sucks (i know you can @ them).
Also there is no way to tell which notifications have been read and which haven't.

Double-page supporter
- In desktop mode, the sidebar collapse button has been moved. Enjoy your perfectly centered images (or get annoyed that you already got used to them being slightly off-center).
- There is a new setting called "Language-based chapter filtering" which shows or hides chapters of the manga you're reading in languages other than the current chapter. Other languages are hidden by default.
pYzgDr5.jpg

EDIT: I agree that a proper mention/notification update would be nice. To hell with likes/upvotes/downvotes, though. There's reddit to circlejerk with comments I like and shun all else; I'd rather not have that here.

Dex-chan lover
Looks promising. I usually read with "no resize", and have to change it when spreads occasionally come across. Now I'll (probably) only have to click this only button to enjoy them in fullest without scrolling or resizing. Thanks guys
Also (as a tradition): f**k SL

Double-page supporter
Is it possible to revert the readers settings button back to just a cogwheel without the text? On mobile I always misclick it whenever Im trying to access the comments due to muscle memory of where it use to be. Though if not I guess Ill have to just get use to not misclicking the giant readers setting button

tri

Group Leader
Always nice to see updates, thanks :)
I was wondering, how did the advertisement experiment go?

Custom title
Staff
Developer
@Samhill posted:

the data saver option has been turned off for everyone, including guests,

Why?
We always preferred serving uncompressed images to begin with, but at some point, the strain on our web/image servers got so bad we didn't really have much of a choice other than to create the data saver mode and start using it by default. It wasn't until later that MDaH essentially solved the bandwidth issue for us, so the compressed default has now become unnecessary (actually, that happened a good while back, I just hadn't gotten to doing this earlier). The reason why it had to be forcibly turned off was that in order to create a new default and to ensure we have most people back using high quality images, I changed the key to the setting so that they wouldn't be stuck with the old value.

Custom title
Staff
Developer
@MavB_Ver That line is just a bit of a mistake with where I put the css border rule for the sidebar, I'll be fixing it.

@dane17eduard All three points you listed are intended behaviour for the recommendations. It doesn't really make sense for us to implement a different language filter for it, and the unread chapters list doesn't take into account whether you've read an alternative chapter, as we don't even think it should because we don't want to discourage competition.

@Nemgaxad I'm sure you'll learn the new muscle memory soon enough. You'd be surprised how many people had no idea there was such a thing as reader settings.

@tri We'll have a post about the ad campaign and overall future plans soon enough - in fact, we were hoping to have done it much earlier, but other things have gotten in the way. As a teaser, let's just say the result was okay.

I want to compress images by default coz i have an unstable internet connection but it's not the default settings. Also, default preload images went from 3 to 10..i'm not even sure how to feel about this update...i don't even know how data saver works, it was always ON but compressing image by default is more valuable for me. Now it's worse coz it's preloading 7 more pages. This is a debacle.

Dex-chan lover
I like the triangle but I dislike the brightening animation.
The little triangle within the triangle is tiny, so it's changing while my mouse is covering up a large chunk of it. It's an abstract kind of irritating.

Custom title
Staff
Developer
@insert_name posted:

I want to compress images by default coz i have an unstable internet connection but it's not the default settings. Also, default preload images went from 3 to 10..i'm not even sure how to feel about this update...i don't even know how data saver works, it was always ON but compressing image by default is more valuable for me. Now it's worse coz it's preloading 7 more pages. This is a debacle.
You can change the settings, you know? The defaults shouldn't matter, you're not locked into using them. The data saver simply means the images are compressed.

Also, the 3 image preload default has not been accurate, it's been 10 images for logged-in users since like a year ago at least. I just forgot to update the text.

Dex-chan lover
Feedback on the Recommendations button:
- I like the concept. I think it would make better sense to have it in the navigation sidebar than in the Manga Reader though, since it's not really contextual to the manga you're currently reading.
- It's listing chapters that I already read because multiple scanlators posted the same chapter and I didn't read all of them. I would think it shouldn't show something if I've read the latest chapter posted from at least one group and not make me read everyone's version of it.
- Only seems to show stuff that was recently posted (I know that's what it was advertised to do, so this is just a wishlist, not a complaint). I have 5 or 6 series I follow that have lots and lots of chapters but have been completed for months or years, that I read 5 or 10 chapters of every once in a while. It's hard to find those (I have to remember what they are and dig them out of my follows when I think of them). If the recommendations included those (since I haven't read the lastest chapter yet) that would be great.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread