Saijaku Tamer wa Gomi Hiroi no Tabi o Hajimemashita - Ch. 21

SDK

I don't feel like I know what's going on in this manga anymore. The past four or five chapters have gone straight over my head even with summaries from you guys in the comments.

Dex-chan lover
Something about the translation feels off and hard to parse? Anyone else feel like it's difficult to follow along at times? Or wondered what that "He's not mine..." "I am!" was about?

I did get that much, the issue lies more in following along to the details. In large part I think it is because an unknown name appeared ("miss mira"?) who I lack context to understand how they fit into the cause-and-effects they describe, but ie page 22 I don't see how they mean "w know they are probably going to do something" leads to "if we take advantage of that it won't seem unnatural for this place to be short-staffed" (shouldn't it be more unnatural if they leave a place enemy knows they expect trouble at, to be unguarded?). And following pages too - like what depends on who (at first I read it to be that the plan depends on the enemy's movements, but then realized that just doesn't work with the surrounding panels)?
And so on.

Essentially, the grand strokes were apparent, but parts felt somewhat disjointed at times sort of as if each bubble was translated without the context of surrounding bubbles (or at least the "flow" of dialogue felt disrupted at times)?

tell me when it caught up to the manga :glee:
Mira was the female tamer who they were with on the hunting quest before. Ivy kept getting a bad feeling around her and Sora told her not to trust

as for the the plan, only Ivy guessed at there being a hidden room, so the bad guys still think that the good guys haven’t found the hidden room yet, thus it’s just an empty and useless building. Therefore, if they were to lessen the guards around it, it wouldn’t look strange at all. They just gathered all the info they could and so the bad guys will jump at the chance to get their loot ASAP, especially if it’s only being guarded by people on the take (who Ivy and Sora already identified)

Dex-chan lover
I don't feel like I know what's going on in this manga anymore. The past four or five chapters have gone straight over my head even with summaries from you guys in the comments.
sora can detect enemies of Ivy so he knows who’s in the kidnapping gang and who isn’t

those involved include the vice captain, this noble, and a crazy number of adventurers.

now Ivy found the hidden room that the good guys didn’t know about so it’ll be used as bait to lure in the bad guys and capture them

SDK

sora can detect enemies of Ivy so he knows who’s in the kidnapping gang and who isn’t

those involved include the vice captain, this noble, and a crazy number of adventurers.

now Ivy found the hidden room that the good guys didn’t know about so it’ll be used as bait to lure in the bad guys and capture them
I understand all that, that's the very basic outline of what's happening. How it's demonstrating the plot is what's confusing e.g. the transitioning from panel to panel and the dialog flow is just off. It's like watching a movie without subtitles and the audio keeps going in and out. When I come back to read it each time a new chapter's released it's hard to just pick it up again knowing I was just as confused as last time. Enjoyed it a fair bit at the start so giving it a fair go but at this rate it's going to end up as a drop.

Aggregator gang
@Justking14

The Vice Captain Agrop is not part of this kidnapping ring. Margajura in 20.2 pg16 is, whom the Vice Captain was distracting, by calling all the guards to do another inspection of the cellar. So Ivy and company can do their thing without interruption.
The known conspirators with names: Mira and her team, Lyselia (short haired female adventurer from 20.1), Margajura, and now Count Faltoria.

@Shamz
I see where you're coming from. I just view it more innocently? MC isn't a genius by any stretch. She's just coming up with thoughts the other savvy adults have, and the adults around her are just taking her seriously. They're all protective of her, so they treat her really well. I mean, a bunch of these adventurers are Muscle Brains, who can't fathom being betrayed by their friends, while Ivy has pretty much known only betrayal the past few years. She's making the paranoid leaps their pure minds don't want to think about.
No one wants to think their friends (for easily a decade) could ever betray them.

Dex-chan lover
I see where you're coming from. I just view it more innocently? MC isn't a genius by any stretch. She's just coming up with thoughts the other savvy adults have, and the adults around her are just taking her seriously. They're all protective of her, so they treat her really well. I mean, a bunch of these adventurers are Muscle Brains, who can't fathom being betrayed by their friends, while Ivy has pretty much known only betrayal the past few years. She's making the paranoid leaps their pure minds don't want to think about.
No one wants to think their friends (for easily a decade) could ever betray them.
Thats still bad. They are veterans and youre telling me their level of expertise is limited to only "muscle brains"? They live in a world where you have to be smart to not die and to reach a higher rank. And again, she didnt need to say anything smart cause one of the adults actually was going to advise the same thing and i remember the last few chapter the same thing happened. "Huh? You already thought of what we all have thought of? How very unkid of you" Very needless writing.

It would have been much better if shes only providing them with her slime threat sensor ability because thats enough contribution from her as the key to solve the mystery and the adults would teach her how to handle the situation better and her being a reincarnated person would learns faster than a 9y/o. Then it will be a much better story instead of the "mc holds all answers" writing. Just my opinion tho.

Dex-chan lover
So why ask questions that are answered in the thread?
Because that's the questions I were left with after having read the chapter. I wrote it when I still had them fresh in mind, read the thread, added replies (edit: I must give a compliment to MDs forum system here, as the way it retains state makes this easier than most others, even over multiple pages), and then finally posted. But kept the original stuff as I originally wrote it because it provides a better thread of consciousness (or was the phrase "stream of consciousness"?) / chronological sense.

Dex-chan lover
Mira was the female tamer who they were with on the hunting quest before. Ivy kept getting a bad feeling around her and Sora told her not to trust
Thanks, that does clear up some stuff. I thought mira was a teammate, which confused some stuff for me.
as for the the plan, only Ivy guessed at there being a hidden room, so the bad guys still think that the good guys haven’t found the hidden room yet, thus it’s just an empty and useless building. Therefore, if they were to lessen the guards around it, it wouldn’t look strange at all. They just gathered all the info they could and so the bad guys will jump at the chance to get their loot ASAP, especially if it’s only being guarded by people on the take (who Ivy and Sora already identified)
Oh, aside from the whole "guarded by people on the take" I did already understand most of that. I thought they planned to have seemingly too few guards and catch ppl trying to sneak into the room (and were wondering why they decided to leave proof in the room to get disappeared instead of using it), not that they were planning on using it to create proof that guards were corrupt by recording state of room before leaving them to guard it, and then record state afterwards to prove they hid or destroyed evidence (ie. by burning down entire mansion to muddle which guard did it or hide that the room even existed).

Dex-chan lover
So I was right the first time. Asking questions without reading for answers.
No? You said I didn't read the thread. I explained how I did read it. What I didn't do was edit the message (still pre-post) after reading it. Unsure how I can be clearer about the timeline?

Dex-chan lover
I understand all that, that's the very basic outline of what's happening. How it's demonstrating the plot is what's confusing e.g. the transitioning from panel to panel and the dialog flow is just off. It's like watching a movie without subtitles and the audio keeps going in and out. When I come back to read it each time a new chapter's released it's hard to just pick it up again knowing I was just as confused as last time. Enjoyed it a fair bit at the start so giving it a fair go but at this rate it's going to end up as a drop.
I’d definitely recommend picking up the LN then. This is honestly my favorite volume (v2) and I ended up reading all 300+ pages in a day and a half. Also, the anime is probably gonna cover this too in a few weeks

Dex-chan lover
Thanks for the chapter :glee:
Ujzxnrz.gif

Man these people suck at their jobs if this nine year old has to dictate everything to them.

Dex-chan lover
This got an anime recently right? Anyone check it out?
There are some notable variations from the original, but I think it's really close.
  • The information from her past self is more prominent. I think this is fine, but some people are annoyed by it. IMO, it helps to justify Ivy's overly precocious skills (e.g. that we're seeing here).
  • Another instance, in LN/manga Sora hops off and heals Anandara on his own. Vs. anime, where Sora only does it after Ivy shows compassion towards Anandara. This choice gives Ivy more responsibility for the healing, but OTOH it shows Ivy as being dangerously incautious.
  • Parts of the story presentation are re-arranged a bit.
  • Some plot points are skipped (have to trim stuff to fit in an anime).
Animation is very good, seems almost cinematic. Feels very relaxed. Really, it's one of the best LN/manga -> anime translations that I've seen. (But again, some people are thrown off by the changes.)

Aggregator gang
Thats still bad. They are veterans and youre telling me their level of expertise is limited to only "muscle brains"? They live in a world where you have to be smart to not die and to reach a higher rank. And again, she didnt need to say anything smart cause one of the adults actually was going to advise the same thing and i remember the last few chapter the same thing happened. "Huh? You already thought of what we all have thought of? How very unkid of you" Very needless writing.

It would have been much better if shes only providing them with her slime threat sensor ability because thats enough contribution from her as the key to solve the mystery and the adults would teach her how to handle the situation better and her being a reincarnated person would learns faster than a 9y/o. Then it will be a much better story instead of the "mc holds all answers" writing. Just my opinion tho.
Agreed, it's not a great story telling method. But, I can forgive it, because it gives her some agency? And some use? Excluding the Slime-Dar, she doesn't really /do/ anything. She doesn't have any fighting power, she is a literal child(so in other stories she would be ignored until she gets kidnapped/killed), and she's a target for pedos(Nope to infinity). Other than giving her some Brains, she is a macguffin for the story. It would be an even worse story, if this entire arc was resolved in a flashback told by the adults. 'Hey Ivy, we used your slime, and found all these criminals'. If you went the reasonable adult route, you would just have one of the adults have Sora in a Bag, while Ivy was chilling it at the Guild Hall under lock and key.

And I didn't mean that they're all dumb, hunting monsters uses a slightly different skill set compared to hunting criminals. I'm saying that their friendship is actively clouding their decision making. The closest analogy to modern times, would be Military people who served in a war together. They trusted their lives to someone, it's a pretty big leap for them to understand they've been betrayed. And they were made aware that Mira was a traitor 2 days ago? You need some real time to process that sort of betrayal.

But yeah, I agree with you, it's pretty weak to force this in like this.

Dex-chan lover
I can forgive it, because it gives her some agency? And some use? Excluding the Slime-Dar, she doesn't really /do/ anything. She doesn't have any fighting power, she is a literal child(so in other stories she would be ignored until she gets kidnapped/killed), and she's a target for pedos(Nope to infinity). Other than giving her some Brains, she is a macguffin for the story. It would be an even worse story, if this entire arc was resolved in a flashback told by the adults. 'Hey Ivy, we used your slime, and found all these criminals'. If you went the reasonable adult route, you would just have one of the adults have Sora in a Bag, while Ivy was chilling it at the Guild Hall under lock and key.
My only problem was her baseless ability to advise the adults without us knowing her credibility by experience or wisdom. She was useful not only with the slime but also with the baiting and her incredible instinct so shes really not lacking in purpose. A fact to not be forgotten is Ivy is a tamer and so the slime is her ability and Ivy is actually smart and capable to survive alone. Ivy is under their protection so Ivy being around them should be needed plus how i dont think the slime and Ivy would be okay with them being separated. But it is what it is and the story is how it is.

Ive read too much manga that i cant help but get tired of the same crap theyre doing. Once upon a time, I enjoyed all and everything that I was reading. But unfortunately, not anymore. So if you enjoy this good for you.

Fed-Kun's army
I started reading the manga because of the anime lol

For some reason I assumed this was the kind of story that would get a shitty adaptation but the anime is actually pretty well done. Beautiful visuals, nice music and it doesn't seem to be in a hurry to cover too much. Also it's comfy as fuck.
Read the manga bc of the anime too, and to be perfectly honest, I think I prefer how the anime is telling the story. Maybe it’s bc I breezed through earlier chapters but it all felt fast paced and rushed compared to the anime, idk. Still invested in the story and gonna continue reading tho

Dex-chan lover
Her original life has to be someone important, a normal person wouldnt be able to figure these things out like this

Users who are viewing this thread