Sono Bisque Doll wa Koi o Suru - Vol. 13 Ch. 100

Dex-chan lover
can't wait for this to be another huge bait like akira hating marin (I'm still mad about that)
I totally agree with this one, it made me mad too. Just when you thought Akira had a personality that doesn't mesh well with Marin's (Which is totally fair, not everyone clicks with one another) and had a cool distinction to it which could've evolved into Akira "working" together with Marin for some cosplays and gradually building a tolerance to her and becoming like cosplay friends or something, the author preforms character assassination on her and turns her into the cringiest marin simp alive, because of course, everyone and their mothers have to like Marin..

Group Leader
To be quite honest with you I am fed up with the character of Gojou. At this point I would not mind him being slowly written out of the story in favor of another love interest. I see Marin as the sort of girl who tends to end up with an influential and wealthy executive of some sort. Her parents are upper class anyway, right? They'd want her to marry into a family with a similar or higher social standing.

It's the logical path for her life to take anyway. She gets into business with the professional cosplay agency, gets noticed by some wealthy client, gets invited on a date by him and is seduced by the money and glamour and adult lifestyle. It's happened to god knows how many young women before.
The manga did go to lengths to show you, the audience, that Marin finds the sort of men that someone like her would normally date to be shallow and frustrating to deal with. Also her dad’s just a middle-class widower.
In terms of a surprise romantic development, I’d prefer something like Juju jumping the queue and asking him out first, since so far she’s the only other female character that seems to have some kind of crush on Goujou.
That's a clear mislabeling. And it's not like "cosplay" or "shogi" is a genre. The key point is what the plot revolves around. In Nagatoro-san, no matter what characters do, whether it's painting, judo, snowboarding, or school activities, the plot is always centered on romance. They go snowboarding to spend time together, they train hard for a judo competition to confess, they improve themselves and gain the courage to stay with the person they love, etc. etc. There is nothing like that here. The plot always revolves around cosplay.
“Mislabeling” bullshit, do you even remember how this story began?
Their partnership/friendship/whatever started with a comedic meet-cute for fuck sakes, of course it’s a romantic comedy manga. It’s not JUST that of course, but I’d say if cosplay SOL is the body of the manga, then romance is the soul of it. Goujou and Marin’s shared experiences, their feelings towards each other, and the development of their relationship is undoubtedly a big part of the story; and credit to this arc, at least it’s steering things back towards exploring the main couple’s feelings for each other.

Dex-chan lover
It dragged for too long. The outcome isn't bad on itself, but it took so long that it got boring. Most likely editor's fault.
More accurately, people annoyed because of the time extension effect. When you read these chapters one after another and move on to the next, it's amazing. Waiting a month for each and the average person gets impatient and stops caring about what is being built up and created, they just want things to move forward in ways they want.

Dex-chan lover
More accurately, people annoyed because of the time extension effect. When you read these chapters one after another and move on to the next, it's amazing. Waiting a month for each and the average person gets impatient and stops caring about what is being built up and created, they just want things to move forward in ways they want.
That's why monthly mangas should be longer (as in more pages) than weekly mangas. The author could have easily condensed this cosplay - from beginning to end - in less chapters with the same effect if each chapter had more pages. Stalling in weekly mangas is common, doing it in monthly mangas has been happening a lot in the recent years.

Dex-chan lover
That's why monthly mangas should be longer (as in more pages) than weekly mangas. The author could have easily condensed this cosplay - from beginning to end - in less chapters with the same effect if each chapter had more pages. Stalling in weekly mangas is common, doing it in monthly mangas has been happening a lot in the recent years.
No. I will not ever condone trying to force mangaka to work themselves to the bone even more than they already do. Art and length of chapter are the primary reasons for monthly chapters, and it is already more than sufficient at 29 pages (assuming no pages were culled from raw that the author did but weren't explicitly part of the chapter internally, like has been done in the past), especially at this quality.

Dex-chan lover
No. I will not ever condone trying to force mangaka to work themselves to the bone even more than they already do. Art and length of chapter are the primary reasons for monthly chapters, and it is already more than sufficient at 29 pages (assuming no pages were culled from raw that the author did but weren't explicitly part of the chapter internally, like has been done in the past), especially at this quality.
But out of those 29 pages, like 20 pages were about cosplay photos of Marin (amazing quality, but the same thing as in like 4 chapters before it) and explanation of comiket stuff. If you want to cover those things with maximum possible quality, i dunno, it doesn't mix well with intended genre and audience...

But time will tell. If this ark to end soon, and manga to return to bi-monthly releases, even with "less" quality (sorry, but i honestly see no reason to make each panel so refined (?) and quality from the very start was just as good, IMO) i think people will be OK with it. Otherwise, dunno.

Dex-chan lover
It mixes great with the intended genre and audience.
Ah, yes. Intended genre. Enlighten us, that is this "intended genre"?
Something about cosplay, yes? Like this?
https://mangadex.org/chapter/df955632-3129-4974-b3e8-202ec578aeaa/18
or maybe this one. Cosplay admirers, i assume.
https://mangadex.org/chapter/9ddef053-ab17-4a48-854e-4121073527d5/2
or maybe this?
https://mangadex.org/chapter/9ddef053-ab17-4a48-854e-4121073527d5/7

Do i need to continue?

This manga was perfect mix of comedy, ecchi, romance (that started like in chapter 15), slice of life, DIY about cosplay and cosplaying, with some drama about personal growth. Until mangaka decided to just throw most of it out of the window and focus solely on cosplay and forced drama. Forced, because to make it "work" she basically re-wrote Marin character.

Dex-chan lover
No one said anything about forcing the "mangaka to work themselves to the bone", the issues here is clearly from the editor that made the author overstretch this cosplay's arc.

Dex-chan lover
No one said anything about forcing the "mangaka to work themselves to the bone", the issues here is clearly from the editor that made the author overstretch this cosplay's arc.
I honestly doubt that it was editor fault. Yes, editors probably wants to drag this manga (any manga that's popular) as long as possible. But no one could force mangaka to just draw 4 chapters of people taking photos of Marin and explanation about Comiket rules.

It could be easily done by just making Marin yo touriComiket for some chapters with fun things happening along the way, as it was before. And a couple of chapters of her cosplaying.

Dex-chan lover
Ah, yes. Intended genre. Enlighten us, that is this "intended genre"?
Something about cosplay, yes? Like this?
https://mangadex.org/chapter/df955632-3129-4974-b3e8-202ec578aeaa/18
or maybe this one. Cosplay admirers, i assume.
https://mangadex.org/chapter/9ddef053-ab17-4a48-854e-4121073527d5/2
or maybe this?
https://mangadex.org/chapter/9ddef053-ab17-4a48-854e-4121073527d5/7

Do i need to continue?

This manga was perfect mix of comedy, ecchi, romance (that started like in chapter 15), slice of life, DIY about cosplay and cosplaying, with some drama about personal growth. Until mangaka decided to just throw most of it out of the window and focus solely on cosplay and forced drama. Forced, because to make it "work" she basically re-wrote Marin character.
This intended genre: https://mangadex.org/chapter/61cffe95-b283-467a-89e0-8cd69383973a/47 (Page 47, chapter 96, Potteto's iteration, if the link fails)
Where it is a romantic comedy second and a celebration of cosplay first. Where the focus is primarily on the cosplay, on the artistry, with their growing relationship as a secondary facet and fanservice is tertiary at most, without executive/editorial meddling forcing such aspects in. Where what the mangaka actually intended to make is what is made. (If I knew where they all were I'd link them too, but the mangaka has too many end card notes of thanks for cosplayers and various stores she visited to get accurate information on cosplay et al; not gonna go hunt those all down)

Dex-chan lover
This intended genre: https://mangadex.org/chapter/61cffe95-b283-467a-89e0-8cd69383973a/47 (Page 47, chapter 96, Potteto's iteration, if the link fails)
Where it is a romantic comedy second and a celebration of cosplay first. Where the focus is primarily on the cosplay, on the artistry, with their growing relationship as a secondary facet and fanservice is tertiary at most, without executive/editorial meddling forcing such aspects in. Where what the mangaka actually intended to make is what is made. (If I knew where they all were I'd link them too, but the mangaka has too many end card notes of thanks for cosplayers and various stores she visited to get accurate information on cosplay et al; not gonna go hunt those all down)
xGKHmmi.png

What I take from this is that it was the editors team that made the manga as popular as it is and now that it is popular the author has more freedom. The problem is that a large part of the fanbase was hooked by the editors' team's requests for the manga. I think the frustration that many are feeling now that the author can focus on what she wants is quite understandable.

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
What I take from this is that it was the editors team that made the manga as popular as it is and now that it is popular the author has more freedom. The problem is that a large part of the fanbase was hooked by the editors' team's requests for the manga. I think the frustration that many are feeling now that the author can focus on what she wants is quite understandable.
I disagree that the editors made it as popular as it is, but I will agree that some of the fans got hooked because of the editorial/executive meddling. I never said that their frustration isn't understandable, only that, to quote myself, "It mixes great with the intended genre and audience. Some people who also happen to enjoy it just have other expectations." in response to someone saying the intended genre and audience was them, instead of who the author has been cultivating herself.

Dex-chan lover
Oh...shit, no, please no.
This is the sign of an ensuing misunderstanding drama, like before. 😅

Dex-chan lover
Cool. I do read those panels, but you're basically saying that mangaka attached the whole lot of a crowd of "cultured" people, people who like romcoms and them just baited them into reading manga that, in future, will be about cosplay only, with no romcom and ecchi elements for tens of chapters? What could go wrong? The actual amount of people who are here for cosplay is most likely minimal. Bait and switch in the purest form.

without executive/editorial meddling forcing such aspects in
I would be very interested to know how popular her manga would be without those elements. Probably none of us would ever heard about it.

I think the frustration that many are feeling now that the author can focus on what she wants is quite understandable.
And i honestly don't get it. Manga IS popular. Editors DO want to drag popular manga. Mangaka had all the options to draw that SHE wanted, between the chapters for the people they attracted. Why not just make it in a way that would make everyone happy? Unless she already have solid plans for ending and it's soon. Which is unlikely, because she admitted that she wants a manga about making cosplay and cosplaying. And that can go for a long time.

To me, it looks like: "now i'm popular and i'm going to do whatever i want. To hell with the crowd that made me popular, now it's a manga for cosplay elitists".

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread