Sousou no Frieren

@Prominis
I do agree it's a story about Frieren trying to "learn to value things on the same temporal scale that the everyday human does", but action seems to play an important role in how it happens - be it on simply learning/teaching magic, how characters reafirm themselves (the whole 'coward'/deplorable journey part, past and present), and how the past is 'confronted' (surpassed or in a new way, as we'll see with this new arc). That said, 'good vs evil' seems very relevant plot wise to who will read this story (what the 10 years were about, plus what we'll be seeing from now on). 'Overpowered' and 'no hard work' may seem harsh, but that's mostly what I think about the mentor act by Freiren... the story itself may not be a 'cheesy action flick', but the 'characters' main internal conflicts' require action to be relevant... Stark to follow his master wishes (as a warrior), Fern who could simply live, but chose to stay as a magician and follow Frieren(who is on her way to the demon king castle...).
Also, when I mentioned "events/dialogue" will "come out of nowhere", it was mostly about Fern's personality, not to referencing the slice of life part... but rethinking it, I'm starting to consider this story more plot oriented, with the author being plenty criterious on which events he writes about...
The characters being flat would be more like, the characters being one dimensional, very rigid on what are their motivations to follow Frieren. Each event being a retrospective does not change that, unless it actually adds something to their choices... different from what they already would've picked, or that could, at least, solidify who they are... this may change, but, so far, everything seemed too detached to me.
The demons being evil was just considered no sense to me, although it could be part of a future plot, so I didn't say it was a flaw... but considering you mentioned it, you could take it as an example of one dimensional or 'event taken out of nowhere': something that exists by itself, without considerations to whatever should matter for it to exist... chapter 14 was open enough for me to expect it to be important for the plot, but it is not the "demons are evil/enemies to humans" part that was the problem...

I'd like to thank this manga for leaving me sobbing on the first chapter, truly a great start to a story. As I continued to cry throughout the second chapter, I decided not to continue because I value my heart and don't want to keep crying. Rest in peace, Himmel and Heiter and prob the dwarf next chapter 💔😭

Why did 97 people rate this 1 star !? People have a right to their opinions but it's just idiocy and immaturity at that point.

Double-page supporter
@Paulo27 Well, you could also say that. Its up to intepretation i think. But Frieren the Slayer is more badass 😀

Fim

And now, on a not completely unrelated note, a few german words and their english meanings:

frieren - 1.) to feel very cold; 2.) to freeze (liquids)
Himmel - 1.) sky 2.) heaven
Eisen - iron
heiter - 1.) cheerful, in a good mood; 2.) fair (weather, meaning no or just a few clouds)
Strahl - ray
fern - far away
ewig - eternal
Merkur - mercury (1.) the planet and 2.) the roman god it is named after. Not quicksilver, that would be "Quecksilber", and the plant would be called "Bingelkraut")
Größe - 1.) size; 2.) greatness
Qual - agony, torment, suffering
Glanz - 1.) gloss, shininess; 2.) glamour
Flamme - flame
Bredt? maybe the author meant Brett - board
voll - full
Ende - end (the noun)
Wille - will (the noun)
Riegel - locking bolt
einsam - lonely (also possible: 2. alone)
stark - strong
eng - tight, narrow
Graf - earl
Granat - garnet
Lügner - liar
Linie - line
Draht - wire

That was all of them, from the first 17 chapters.

This is not depressing. It's the assumed view of what the life of someone who lives for thousands of years among other short-lived beings would be like.

I think it's very interesting.

Im pretty sure its because of the people from kissmanga but goddamn the ratings went up by so much. The series deserved it though

Double-page supporter
The names are really goofy if you can speak German.

Story is a pretty deep and well-written Tear Jerker though.

@SasugaAinzSama @MonkBonkie
Yes please. I only felt it was immature (sorry if I came across as salty/seething) because 1 star is considered "appalling." Meanwhile, there are so many "normal generic fantasy" stories that for some reason have way more follows/stars then this I don't understand
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻. I've only read the first 5 chapters so far, but surprisingly just that was enough for me (and many others to find) this as a refreshing read. I'm taking a break from this for a bit because I'm weak to tears, but if you have any recommendations that are better than this one I'll really appreciate it.

Currently without a job and just enjoying my slow days, this manga is a blessing.

I'm always a sucker for mangas that has a nostalgic tone to it. Overlord has some of it.
Glad the manga has picked up the pace, even though the manga in the earlier parts has set up that it should be already a peaceful world.
It is still possible I guess, I'll leave the rest of the journey to explain itself.

Dex-chan lover
I can't enjoy this manga, but neither can I stop reading it. Feels like a charm

Users who are viewing this thread