Tearmoon Teikoku Monogatari ~Dantoudai kara Hajimaru, Hime no Tensei Gyakuten Story~ - Vol. 2 Ch. 9

...you know, the more the story goes on, I think the three who had her executed just hated her for various personal reasons. It had literally nothing to do with justice, they just chose to justify it with a rebellion, and the revolutionaries were fine with it. It would make more sense for them to go after the key government officials, not her. I hope she doesn’t become best friends with the three who killed her before, because that would be messed up.

Dex-chan lover
@Zephyr247 How do you figure? I mean they figured she'd personally attacked her, yes, but on the notion that it was true, someone who does that is inherently a bad person not just someone 'you personally dislike'. She DID selfishly hoard funds for her luxurious meals as her people were starving. And indeed, we've been shown that in the original timeline Tia genuinely did do all sorts of awful things, mostly out of ignorance, but also she did actively bully this lady in other cases according to previous chapters, which is more than ignorance, even if it was fueled by jealousy.

The current Tia isn't really a bad person even if even now she sometimes does mean things that get misinterpreted, and most of her actions are selfish instead of genuine good will (which is fine), but her past self absolutely was at times malicious and always ignorant and uncaring for others.

One of my favorite things about the series, honestly, is even now some of her old flaws still exist, but are dampened and also happen to work out in good ways instead of bad, to act like she wasn't actually a bad person in the original timeline is just silly.

As for key government officials, not to mention her parents, I'm sure most of them were more at fault, yes, but was it said anywhere that the revolution didn't take out all responsible? Her being guillotined doesn't mean other people didn't also face repercussions in addition, most revolutions would definitely go after everyone responsible.

Those three were definitely justified even if they did misunderstand this one incident that set them on a path against her, there were plenty of legitimate cases against her. They're not the same people any more regardless.

@Fari I get where you’re coming from, but I find it really interesting that within the story, the people who are judging her are incredibly powerful nobles themselves, not the commoners. These powerful kids have legitimate issues with the nobility and Mia, for them, put a face to it. But they are still nobility, and their hatred of her is more personal. They’re more concerned by her arrogance than the famine. She’s something between a scapegoat for the nobility and a symbol of how inept and corrupt the nobility are. The three framed it as justice, but it feels more like their motivation was revenge.

This villainess story is fairly unique in that it acknowledges that nobles aren’t the only people that exist, and that commoners do have power. But it’s focus is narrow. The only commoners we see are the ones who love Mia, and so far we haven’t seen what the wider pool of nobles are like. That’s partly because Mia is selfish and self preserving, but it also means that we don’t get as much context. Mia is more of a villainess, mostly due to arrogance. But almost all nobles in any society ever are like that, even if they were charitable to commoners. Until the story shows me the people who had power and what they are actually doing, it’s going to be hard not to see Mia as a bratty girl who was like most of her peers, and was executed for it because she was royalty.

Dex-chan lover
@Zephyr247 I don't totally disagree, I'd assume nearly all nobles were like her, on the other hand, it has been noted that the saint lady did actively do lots of good supposedly, the guy also was fervent in 'righting wrongs', and the country girl, if nothing else is a 'pseudo noble'. Still a noble, but one of infinitely less power than than most others it seems.

I mean don't get me wrong I'm of the opinion that in such a system all nobles are inherently at fault to a degree, so those 3 aren't just great people, but I don't think they're totally hypocrites either, at least. I would agree it was at least partially personal, but not unjustified as such.

The idea that it's bad really falls to how many other people were also executed IMO, if they did wholly scapegoat her and most other nobles got off scot-free, then they definitely simply let grudges carry them forward, if the vast majority of the nobility also got taken out, pretty much all but those that actively helped the cause of commoners, and maybe those low enough influence to not realistically have the means, then Mia's treatment seems reasonable. How it was we'll probably never see, but it is interesting to think about.

All in all, yeah, I agree that they did vilify her more than necessary for what was largely ignorance and not particularly outside the norm of nobles, but I also don't think she necessarily deserved special exemption amidst getting rid of bad nobles. I mean hell, super early on even mentioned how she said things like "let them eat meat", a reference to the famous "let them eat cake" line, something considered particularly inciteful of revolution, even if it wasn't actually said by Marie Antoinette, in this case, Mia did say the equivalent, while also indeed living an extravagant lifestyle which personally could've solved all the problems of her country (and totally will in this redo) which is more than many nobles actually could've done indvidually, not to say some individuals or many gathered couldn't have.

There is an inherent burden of being royalty, holding the most power (as non figureheads, she seems to have acted like a figurehead but genuinely had funds to not be one) also comes with responsibility to the people, which she did wholly fail to fulfill in the original world. All these nobles owed the commoners better too, but she had the most to give of them, besides from presumably her parents, who yeah.

Notably when she was executed she was 20, if they'd actively killed her off while she was this age it would've been vile, and granted, these 3 did already set their eyes on her, but didn't actively do it til she was already older, at least... Certainly the older royals would be the most responsible, I think she might be next in line of responsibility though. Even if not too far ahead any higher up noble, all the nobles were at fault, just yeah. .

Anyways, I don't totally disagree, the notion of befriending the ones who murdered you is a bit much, I do believe that if she chooses to like them over time that's okay, but if she chose to permanently avoid them regardless of future treatment, she'd also be in the right. I also agree the fact those 3 were nobles, even if they did act differently than she did, are less justified than if they weren't nobles.

Ultimately Mia probably did lots of things in her original timeline that further and further justified her death, and we'll continue to see some of these events in the future, after all her diary still isn't sorted out despite the things she's done so far, and some things we'll never see. Either way, pretty good story, eh? Most villainess series couldn't get this kind of discussion I think.

Rereading this the 3rd time, Keithwood's claim that the princess might be involved is kinda... rushed?

Like the imperial princess would bully a low-tier noble from the countryside, and the only evidence pointing towards this is that the nobles -- who don't even directly act under her service since, you know, they're not servants or anything?

In the original world it made sense since Mia bullied her there, but here the suspicion is kinda weird lmao

Dex-chan lover
@Kibotsu: His whole conjecture seem to circle about the hanky that had the empire's embled+hierarchal mindset of their country

Dex-chan lover
Ah so Keithwood is the one who is part of the faction that wants to kill Mia. They are slowly but surely feeding the Prince the idea that Mia is a diabolical villain. Keithwood just instantly shifting the blame onto Mia is way too sus. Sure it was one handkerchief but why would she even hand them her handkerchief in the first place.

Anne is the real mvp 😭💞

also, i'm thinking that the three of them executing her has nothing to do with the empire's fall or justice thingy. either they did it for personal reasons, or maybe for the revolutions to be concluded you need to execute the people who has a connection to the empire? idk but i kinda dislike them for it

Keith wood is kind of annoying
he's like the character that is trying to seem realistic
but is just pessimistic overall.

Group Leader
@v4v lay off with the epic meme arrows and fuck off to reddit my lad.
The "epic meme arrows" are how you do quotes in formatted plaintext.
I know most people have never used an internet forum but this has been a recognized standard since 1992 with Setex.
It's why when you do it in something like discord it shows as a quote, because it's text formatting is based off of Markdown, Setex's successor.

Users who are viewing this thread