The Apothecary Diaries - Vol. 7 Ch. 33 - The Devil's Trumpet

Dex-chan lover
@sedition If he was totally innocent, you'd think he would have hesitated at least a little bit in Maomao's case and at the very least listened to what she's saying. It would have cost him nothing, as he could have still denied her entry. But it looked like he wanted to silence her. In fact what you said, could also work against him: If he already knew something, he would also know only the conspirators could save him, if we assume the mastermind has a really high position. So, he would have no choice but to cooperate, trusting they will get him out of trouble once the dust settles. Other guards might be sent to the salt mines, but he alone would get a transfer to somewhere nice with gold in his pockets. It would be possible he firmly believed that if he had tried to tattle, he would be caught by the cospirators and lose his life. So, it could be not a matter of benefits outweighing the risks, but a matter choosing between death and possible benefits.

Dex-chan lover
@Kaarme His reaction fit the stereotypical guard attitude perfectly, he's a soldier and his job is to stop unauthorized people from entering the ceremonial building, so when she taunted him and questioned his motives he got mad and wanted to kill her, if the other soldier hadn't held him back I imagine he would have definitely killed her, as I mentioned before her life is worth nothing in his eyes so he's fully within his rights to kill her if she talked back to him like she did.

As a soldier with some authority he looks down on the maids as they're just uneducated commoners that you can find anywhere, his attitude was what you would expect from someone like that and I didn't personally find it suspicious at all, A soldier is just supposed to do his job and that's what he was doing, preventing her from entering was exactly his job in this situation, and without any foreknowledge of the plot going on behind the scenes he was more likely to get in trouble for letting some random maid disrupt the ceremony than trust her about the danger.

Also I should mention that women weren't equal to men back in these times, even the most influential ladies from powerful families were just chess pieces used in political marriages to curry favor and build relations with other families. So in his eyes the commoner maomao is essentially worth less than a child, from his viewpoint she's just some worthless bug that's disturbing his duty and causing problems, and when she insulted him she was basically writing herself a death sentence in any other circumstances. If she hadn't been rescued by the old official that came over and convinced the guard she would have most likely been dragged off and beaten to death.

You're looking at the situation with modern sensibilities, but if you look at it with the viewpoint that it's written in what he did was completely natural and something you would expect.

Dex-chan lover
This is my type of mc.... 20% mad scientist 80% wicked. Huehuehue... People around her was already used to her wits and detective skills they're not even surprised with her at all. Also by this time she might already knew what's jinshi's true identity.
Well done to the artist.. Her expressions when she grin like she has evil plan inside of her head and her expressions on the last panel was perfectly drawn. dang it gave me chills...lol nobody can stop mao mao to the road of her new discovery not even those open wounds!! Lol.

Thank you soooo much for the translations.

Dex-chan lover
@sedition Not really. He would be an extremely poor soldier if he was so single-minded. While in the simple technical terms his job is to prevent unauthorised entry, it doesn't mean he should ignore any threats reported to him. His real job is to keep the important people inside safe and make sure the ceremony isn't disturbed. However, if people inside die and the ceremony is thus automatically disturbed, he has already failed his job, even if he had kept 1000 angry barbarians from invading the place (as a distraction). So, he shouldn't be able to afford to simply ignore people like that, especially some tiny runt like Maomao who obviously is not capable of personally overpowering anyone. The guard should have called for a superior.

In any case, since Jinshi did ask who beat up Maomao, I've no doubt that particular guard has already been questioned and punished appropriately. Probably harshly since Jinshi has fallen for Maomao, and no man who loves a woman will forgive anyone who hurts the woman. I can live with that, even if the story never gets back to it.

Dex-chan lover
I might be the only one in the comments that don't want an anime adaptation.
I don't want a dumbed down version of Maomao neither a girly romantic one, just to make it appeal to the regular viewer. And because this adaptation is not an exact copy of the original, i wouldn't want to risk having to see the image of such brilliant maniac ruined, by a lousy adaptation.
Leave MaoMao alone!
This is definitely on my list of manga to buy!

The way everyone was just over he risking her life to save Jinshi (who she didn't even know was Jinshi, just a stranger) lmaooo . My sweet girl!

Dex-chan lover
I kinda wished they spent more time worrying over, but at least it showed she healed pretty fast I guess
I love all of her maniacal faces 🤣
Thanks so much for the chapter!

Dex-chan lover
Darnit kinda sad they skipped over jinshi’s reaction to her self-sacrificing recklessness but good chapter I’m glad the plot moves at a regular pace

Users who are viewing this thread