The Story of a Manga Reader Site that After Many Trials and Tribulations Reached its 6th Year of Existence!

Fed-Kun's army
Thank YOU for providing us with such an excellent platform to read free manga. Since Kissmanga has closed (Rip), you've been my safe haven. Again, thank you !

Aggregator gang
I went from Mangarock, to Mangaman, to Mangakakalot, to here. It’s been a long journey but now I can read all my stuff without constant pop up ads and that’s been awesome. Hoping for more of MangaDex in the new year!

Dex-chan lover
Happy birthday! 6 years huh... I think I joined after about 1 year of it being around. Good times. As the years go by, I also grow more paranoid, so lately I'm backing up my stuff periodically just in case, but may MangaDex live forever!

Wow, has it really been 6 years already? Here's to another 6 years and beyond. Cheers!

Dex-chan lover
A belated happy birthday to MD, and thanks for all the hard work you guys have put in! 🥳

It's truly been fun to read manga here these last few years, and hoping that there'll be many more to come! :win:

Last edited:
Lost track of how many different sites I'd been on to read manga before shambling my way here. But I've been here for some time, now, and it doesn't feel like it's been a while. Congrats on 6 years, here's to many more. Thank you!

Dex-chan lover
Thank you everyone for their hard work and support. Though I'm just a simple reader that don't financially support this site, it's nevertheless my favourite manga site above all else. You guys are doing great, keep at it lads.

Thank you for this amazing team!!! You guys are always appreciated! Cheers to more years to come

I only have fond memories of this website, I first found it when I was still in high school, here I am now, almost graduating from college and still using it, thank you for all these years!!

Dex-chan lover
Hey y'all!

First of all, I want to wish a slightly belated happy birthday to us!
You better believe it we are still here and kicking, 6 years from the inception of the site. We've survived the tumultuous transition from the closing of another english speaking front-facing scanlation scene site (not unlike a certain manga-reading app), the spaghetti code our former overlord @Holo left for us on MD v1~v3 and the -not so recent now- attempted attack to our site by malicious parties which did make us go dark on hiatus and kill MD v4 (which tbh was already on life support by then), before pulling through thanks to the great effort of our volunteer devs, mods and admins as the current re-imagined MangaDex v5; which couldn't ever happened without the support of both scanlators and readers - a warm thanks to y'all.

It's time now to recap what's changed since last year. While most has been focused on internal infrastructure to support the millions of you out there, there are a couple of milestones that we can proudly share this year:
  • MangaDex daily unique users have grown almost ~30% (both readers and new scanlation teams of english and foreign language) thanks to our updated and easy to use platform and the continuous polish on our (currently on beta) language interface picker.
  • The biggest and most popular chapter release of a certain title with more than a quarter million views on the first 24hrs following it's release.
  • The impressive count of most overall chapters read, a whopping 20.5+ million on just one day.
  • And most of all, more than 3 million of you have registered to our site this past year only to use the full perks of MD (custom lists, chapter read tracking, rating, comments and more!).
Here are some features added since last year too:
  • Spanish as a site-wide interface language option.
  • Persistent settings, your user settings now synch across all your devices when logged in.
  • We added a Custom Theme creator, so you can create and share your favorite colours wrong original dark theme is the best to browse the site and read your mango.
  • Advanced Title Search update helping both our readers to find their favorite title to read and the site to survive the extensive use this feature requires from our infra.
  • Neat quality of life features for scanlators like individual image editor, auto slicer for long strip series, duplicate image warnings, scanlation group comments, and more...
And some things to be excited for the future:
  • Custom List v2.
  • The re-implementation of view chapter count.
  • Re-integration of the comment system on site (no more forum re-direct).
  • User profile customization.
Remember that you can always take a sneak-peek of these features by joining our Discord's #frontend-early-access channel.

As always, we appreciate y'alls patience and support year over year. Thank you for reading!

Now to our traditional Staff (and friend) quotes for the year:

ixlone - Admin

Lymus - Admin

Teasday - Developer

panda__________ - Developer

AlexEliot - Developer

Asyncantiunredoify - Developer

carbryvietia - Developer

Xnot - Developer

rdn - Developer

tristan9 - Developer

eralfl - Developer

Bottersnike - Developer

Zephyrus - Moderator

kouyo - Moderator

Electromaster - Moderator

Daviot - Moderator

AntsyLich - Moderator

Woulez - Moderator

glad-barfs - Moderator

Richman - Moderator

BraveDude8 - Moderator

Kafka - Moderator & PR

Henny - PR (Public Relations)

Holo - Former Overlord

Plykiya - PR (Pet Reindeer & Honorary Ex-Staff)

Bocchi - Ex-Dev & VIP

P.S. Custom theme contest participants, do not despair, winners will be announced very soon™️ :wooow:
First, based pfp, second, congrats for 6 years, lets hope it lasts more than 10 at least...

Thank you for everything, this service is what got me seriously into manga reading. Enjoyed reading the original DBZ here.

Tyvm for everything even tho I'm new to this site it's amazing and I really appreciate those that made it possible . Happy belated bday 🎂

Aggregator gang
I don't want to believe that it's already 6 years. Damn time goes really fast.

Hope you always with the community. Thanks for the services.

Users who are viewing this thread