Twitter Plays a Visual Novel - Ch. 13 - Alternate Ending

Dex-chan lover
@deathmailrock

But by definition, the curse is an unnatural way for people to die and is guaranteed to shorten their lifespan immensely as evidenced by the little girl dying when she could have lived much longer. To me, that feels more tragic than the uncertainty of how their lives could possibly play out.

Still, I don't believe either ending is worse or better so long as we take ourselves out of the characters. They both have their pros and cons. If we do consider our investment in the characters, however, then whichever ending is superior is probably more clear-cut.

Dex-chan lover
Literally shaming into submission, smh. Well, even if Life is Strange taught me one thing, it's waifus over towns, so I'll take this rather than the other cut-hair-move-forward bullshit anytime.

Supporter
Now that you guys have seen both endings, which one do you consider the "happy" ending? Or does a happy ending exist at all in this sad VN?

Edit: This is probably the 2nd time I see this kind of story. Between the lives of other people/the world and the life of your loved one, which one weighs more on your own scale?

Dex-chan lover
@minhnghcm7 They are both bad endings. Knowing the melancholic style of the mangaka, it's not too surprising. The only happy ending would be one where the curse would be destroyed without the main characters or too many side characters dying.

The MC dude was damaged irreversibly in both endings. I have to say I don't like that kind of VNs. There are many dark VNs in Japan, though, so apparently the market is significant.

Dex-chan lover
@Tersione Sorta yes and no. What do you define as natural? A random curse that doesn't target specific people but just hits randomly... can it really be considered unnatural? Or maybe it can be considered in the same vein as a disease or infection. Those can be deemed natural causes after all.

The curse just now seems to exist.

@Kaarme To be fair, this situation isn't pleasant. But that's literally life. Your loved ones could die or other random people could die. Hell, people DO die... it's just rare that you know about it and have the option to stop it.

This is a tragedy for him solely because he could stop it, not because the people die.

If his girlfriend's death wouldn't end things, then this wouldn't be a tragedy. Instead, it'd be her just giving other people more time. The tragedy comes solely because the choice exists.

And while there are a lot of manga like this, it should be noted that there are just a lot of manga. It's like why Isekai seem overboard. Not because it's a huge majority, but because a lot of manga exist. Of course, it gets a lot of attention... because people want to complain about something... but if you look at the whole picture, you'd see that there is a large variety of manga. Just like there are a large variety of books coming out for Western markets, with a large variety of genres and tropes and plots.

Power Uploader
It's the kind of ending like when you get a bad end in a VN(heh)... They aren't exactly happy... but it is better then nothing I guess? I feel it is at this point where it just cuts back to the main menu instead of going into credits.

Dex-chan lover
@deathmailrock There's nothing natural about the curse. It was created by sacrificing children. Thus it's always a tragedy when outsiders die/suffer because of it or an outsider must die to stop it.

Dex-chan lover
@Kaarme Yes, but a disease epidemic could be started because people left the dead bodies of children lying around. Sure, it might have started from something bad... but now it's just left over...

And just because it's natural doesn't mean it's not a tragedy. Many people died due to the Corona Virus. It's a natural cause, but it's still a tragedy.

Dex-chan lover
Seems like this would be the “normal ending” in some vns were the problem isn’t exactly resolved

Dex-chan lover
@deathmailrock In this context, natural is the actual antonym of artificial. The curse was created artificially and is therefore the literal opposite of something natural. Therefore, you're as wrong as you can possibly get about this, despite your weird and misplaced obstinacy about the issue.

Where is the true ending where we collected enough light orb of happiness to counteract that curse and banish it forever?
This is Clannad reference.

Logically, if she stays alive, she keeps holding onto the curse and lets more people live longer. Even if she dies, the curse still affects others. This is the difference between the dividends of giving people more time over her entire life and the investment of the rest of those initial people’s lives.

This doesn’t even consider future research with other people to stop the curse altogether by testing her powers.

Double-page supporter
somehow the way it's told make it so much worse than the other end

Users who are viewing this thread