Usotsuki Hanayome to Dousei Kekkon-ron - Vol. 1 Ch. 5 - Consequences of a Secret

Dex-chan lover
Leaving aside what everybody said upthread... FFS Japan, smartphones shouldn't display on the lockscreen the text and the sender of received messages for all and sundry to read!
I know it's a narrative trope, but after seeing it used a number of times to artificially create drama I'm starting to find it grating...
They do unless you go out of your way to change the setting. Even if you have a password/face id.

Dex-chan lover
Don't condone it irl but it's nice to see gay ppl being as messy/dramatic as some straight couple drama is (well, i guess bi in this case if she does end up leaving her husband or so)

Dex-chan lover
Leaving aside what everybody said upthread... FFS Japan, smartphones shouldn't display on the lockscreen the text and the sender of received messages for all and sundry to read!
I know it's a narrative trope, but after seeing it used a number of times to artificially create drama I'm starting to find it grating...
TBH mine does that too but i don't use a lock screen tho it's usually a reply/preview of a text depending on what they write, but even seeing the husband/a male name would prolly give her enough to piece things together

Dex-chan lover
I decided to reread the whole thing because it's just a few chapters so why not. What I really noticed on reread was how Shigisawa has had a constant trickle of negative thoughts about Gotou's behavior going back to the moment she saw her at work. I had to remind myself that while it was just her POV to interpret it as cunning / red flags, not necessarily fact, her perspective as someone outside of society norms herself might have made her better at noticing someone just as off-grid as she was. Only someone paddling with the flow and not against like her.

Gotou felt off to her because they are both similarly out of place, yet making opposite decisions. And the fact Gotou remembered a coworker she hardly interacted with on the steret as well makes me think the visibility was mutual. Their gaydar wasn't off, but they were so drastically opposites in facing the same crushing environment it was more like being ships in the night.

Now that they met up again I keep waiting for Gotou to actually be that cunning person with a plan. To me she comes off as someone who has made every compromise towards norms along the way that now she finds herself at the end of the line empty handed anyway, but for a piece of luggage and a contact list of fake friends. In contrast, Shigisawa is totally self sufficient and non-compromising in who she is. She has a home. She might be snake bit in romance and unhappy at work, but she hasn't given up an inch of herself. She's even got an actual friend in her phone concerned for her.

Now that Gotou finds herself in Shigisawa's home they both are having these odd romantic outbursts they don't seem to know what to do with. I'm not sure if it's just Gotou feeling safe to be able to act on her own impulses for once or what. I don't feel like she's a master manipulator using her mooching powers to mess with the single lesbian for laughs or whatever. To me she seems genuinely caught up in things at times because inside Shigisawa's home societal norms stop at the door. The pressure can be forgotten for small stretches. For Shigisawa's part she has at times forgotten to be guarded, bitter, or expecting the worst for stretches too. Gotou replaced her fantasies of her old gf even.

They both have reasons this can't work. Gotou has it thrown in her face that she's still the same old Gotou. She's reminded can't find a job and stand on her own, hasn't sorted out her husband, and the hospital seems to be saying she can't have what she thought she wanted there either. And for Shigisawa she has her former GF doom scenerio thrown back in her face only in the late stages where she already knows barring some kind of drastic shift in Gotou there is no point. And Gotou is still at the stage she's sitting frozen in a dark room about to throw herself thru the cracks in society instead of doing one thing to help herself. She already did that once when she was found on the street, but I'm not sure she'll show up in a better place the next time.

I guess we'll find out in a month and some change how they'll find each other again. Feels like it's going to be bad next time we check in with Gotou. Hoping I don't forget everything again between chapters. I really like the dynamics, but I'm so bad about slow releases.

Double-page supporter
I mean I know people who do that. They like to read the message without having to unlock.

Users who are viewing this thread