Yonakano Reiji ni Harem wo!! - Vol. 4 Ch. 21 - The Reason I Avoid People

Dex-chan lover
@monkey123
Reiji stopped going to school because his mother let him. And I bet most of us here when faced with similar circumstances would have been forced to go by our own parents instead. We all had our own reasons to not want to go to school one day, but if the reason wasn't good enough for our parents, we could only really "not retreat". And for some of us here, there was also a threat of violence at home, and that could be more terrifying than some school bullies or shitty friends who would betray you because someone asked them to.

@pip25
I wouldn't say that they ran away nor swept it under the rug.

Reiji's mother had an idea of what the problem was. If it were the school or the lessons, it could still be resolved without transferring. However, the problem was the classroom itself (the classmates) and that sort of thing can't be fixed with the use of authority or a change in management. Imagine your mom asking the teachers to tell your bullies to be friends with you.

The change in environment was inevitable, but then I'd argue that she could have said a bit more than just "Mom's on your side". Maybe she's the type who wouldn't pry if not consulted? Or maybe she knows better than to play therapist? Then again, not being a busybody is fine too.

Aggregator gang
B-b-but that's the title.

Being betrayed hurts more than being punch or kicked. especially at a young age. I was bullied but got befriend him since I knew he wasn't that of a bad guy, plus I have a friend that could blackmail him.

Aggregator gang
Alright folks that's all. No more harem now. This manga is finished.

Fed-Kun's army
now that's relatable. bitches and backstabbing cunt truly belong in the hell

@Hamin wym the harem plan was a success all the girls have feelings for the mc so theres no need for the book anymore

MD@Home
@jonsmth

Err... play therapist? She is his mother. If parents cannot talk with their children about what is not going well at school, then something is very-very wrong with their relationship. Especially in elementary school (grades 1-6), when the kids are not even teenagers yet (which later might make them more reluctant to share stuff even if they get along well with their parents).
His mom should not have made a call based on guesswork. If she found out what exactly was going on, and then decided to transfer her son out of school, then at least she could say that she made an informed decision. (I would still disagree with it, however - if such conflicts cannot be worked out within a class, then the educational system is pretty much doomed. We are talking about kids ignoring someone for a single day, not even physical violence or recurring bullying.)

Dex-chan lover
@tuatara1 As far as we can see, she is a single mother trying she best for her son, she could force her son to go to school, but that wouldn't solve the issue that even if the other students started talking to him again, he would always know that they can betray him at any moment, the trust between him and the classmates was broken for good, and it's not like he gave up on everything, he's still a good person who is very helpful to everyone around him, he amassed a harem through it, but the fact remains that he cannot trust anyone to not betray him again.

As a single mother to a very young son, she did all she could.

Dex-chan lover
Wow, a normal BG-story. That felt right. No over the top drama, but something down to earth. And it happened, when he was a child. Now he is a teenager, that didn't overcome that blow, that impacted his character. Also feels sensible, as it has been "only" a few years since then. Okay, those years are a looot time in that age, yet still. No matter if people call this boring, it adds tons to the quality.

He himself also knows, that it isn't a big story. That reduces his emo-prince levels quite a bit, too. Now he just has to really notice and feel deep within his heart, that he's a little bitch and should just take on the free mea...offer, to intercat with other people. ...And yes, I know, that I misspelled interact, but intercat is cute and I keep it this way.

As someone that is approaching his 30's and has self esteem issues from primary school bullying... By the time I was MC's age I trusted people even less than this guy does, even now a decade into adulthood now I still have trouble with it.

In fact, as far as a manga goes this was a rather solid and relatable portrayl of it, if a bit hamfisted. So for the few of you taking this as unrealistic... well, it's really not.

Dex-chan lover
@pip25
A bad attempt at playing therapist would do more harm than good.
Reiji's description of her, "I mean... mom's like that after all...", implies that she is a bit of a special case, and she probably knows that herself.
Her saying that she's on his side and nothing else was probably the most prudent thing that a mother could say. She isn't blaming anyone nor telling Reiji to do something differently. At the very least, she gave him some reassurance and a sense of security.

> If she found out what exactly was going on, and then decided to transfer her son out of school, then at least she could say that she made an informed decision.

How long would that have taken though? The problem at hand is that Reiji was distressed enough to not wanting to go to school. The longer Reiji is out of school, the more behind he will be in his studies.

> if such conflicts cannot be worked out within a class, then the educational system is pretty much doomed. We are talking about kids ignoring someone for a single day, not even physical violence or recurring bullying

Reiji thinks that it was terrifying though, enough that it took only one day for him to stop going to school. We can't relate, so we see the root of the issue to be mundane.
Even then, I don't see that this sort of conflict as something that can be resolved immediately without moving someone out of that class... like everyone else other than Reiji for this matter. It was something that the entire class decided on and organized.

NIB

Dex-chan lover
Jesus fuck, being betrayed is a absolute shit. I feel your pain and fear Reiji.
Now that's a great mom, it's not like the ones who you can usually see with some mediocre artists, support your son in any circumstance of his life, simply don't ignore the problem with poor comedy.

So, manga's canned, show's over, move away. Sad but that's life for ya 🤣

Still, that's one brilliant character writing. Its' perfectly normal, not exaggerated of forced for drama sake, it really the thing that could happen to a little boy to turn him into such loner. Reiji's Mom is da best.

Users who are viewing this thread