You'll never believe what happens if...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I only buy physical books, which I can buy in a book-off near my house..
but since I can't really read kanji that well I just put them up my bookshelves for collection purpose only.

Literally never, but I've only ever bought manga once in my life like a decade ago so I think I'm an outlier on this data set anyway.

Contributor
I don't buy paper books anymore. I live in an area that gets hit by a hurricane every so often and I lost way too many manga to go through that again. If I can find an English translated digital copy then I may buy it. My biggest complaint with official translations though is that they do an absolutely horrid job of translating jokes. Just the other day I was reading a chapter on here that directed to the official translation and it completely missed a joke about "doing it in the kitchen" but then another character reacted to the joke, and it made absolutely no sense the way it was done.

These links are useful. Sometimes I buy volumes of the series I want to support. They are just sitting in my collection. (I spent about 100-300 usd)

I think asking the question as the title was better than that like really ? clickbait for that ?

Group Leader
I don't use the links even though I update them myself. Purchase all my physical manga through CDJapan, AmazonJP, and YahooAuction for the out-of-prints. Only recently buying digital through BookWalkerJP. I haven't really kept track of cost but it's to the point where I really need to stop buying so much every month.

Fed-Kun's army
@Aronida I agree. The subject ixlone has raised is interesting and relevant in its own right. Relevant indeed, on a website for readers of manga.

As for the questions: I'm one of the unemployed gang at present. Still, who wouldn't want shelves upon shelves of manga volumes in one's home? I have every intention of buying in the future.

I've bought quite a few mangas, I've selled some entire collections also, I knew I wouldn't be rereading them (naruto and bleach).
Have to be honest, I've been buying some, I live in brazil and panini publishes most mangas, what has me most hesitant in buying even more manga volumes is the quality of the print vs the price. I've been only buying premium products as they seem a more justified purchase but half the price of a premium for a paperback manga printed on newspaper paper? nope, not even if I love the story itself.

I'll post some links so that you can see the prices.

standard paperback printing:
https://www.amazon.com.br/Golden-Kamuy-Vol-1-Satoru-Noda/dp/8542620208?pf_rd_p=31beb36d-4f68-4a60-a906-20a4fe478efd&pd_rd_wg=EUu7g&pf_rd_r=JFA6RKHFWGJF5S8YG7F6&ref_=pd_gw_cr_simh&pd_rd_w=DQBJC&pd_rd_r=585d5167-cf5d-4e1b-a681-b08f98e88a77

premium hardcover special edition:
https://www.amazon.com.br/dp/8545711204/?coliid=I2XAHA6G4SYIW9&colid=2ZPHQP4V1SJDK&psc=1

Dex-chan lover
I'll buy some manga occasionally especially if there is going to be a sale on them or something
I don't really have that much room in my bookcase though

Group Leader
Does it mean you want to go like CDJapan/BookWalker to offer per volume manga to be sold or you'll go with comixology unlimeted method or you just want to be like MAL by giving list of recommended manga? If you'll go with comix method then I'm in! It's really rare for me to buy something, I prefer to rent rather than buying a thing you know it's more affordable and cost-effective.

Just a tip, if you want to sell something legal (procedure with authority and law) please completely separate the main site with the new site so this site won't get any "dangerous" attempt from authority.

Fed-Kun's army
As I have no income rn, (lazy ass student in college), I have not bought any manga.

But I plan to buy my favorites series once I get a job in 2ish yrs.

At most the only thing ive done is click the links to the official sites(like webtoon or manga+) and read the shet there

Contributor
I don't know how much I spend on Raw manga, but I do buy a few here and there (especially if it's one I want someone to scanlate). I use the Amazon links (since I usually end up adding them anyways). I don't like to buy physical manga anymore since I just don't have the space for it anymore. I store my physical manga in a box. If a series I like gets licensed AND has an e-version, I buy that instead.

Re: list of upcoming releases: sounds like a lot of work that will need lots of dedication. Do y'all have that kind of time available? Give it a go if you can make it happen. I'd be happy if on the cover page, when you upload a cover, you could also add an ISBN, and you would have links to a variety of manga-buying sites with auto-generated links using the provided ISBN. I.e. Spy x Family V1 AmazonJP: https://www.amazon.co.jp/s?k=4088820118.

I have purchased the Eat-Man series a few months ago, but after I lost most of my original collection in a fire years ago, I basically stay away from print media now.

While I don't buy untranslated manga, I have definitely used the amazon links to pick up series like Dungeon Meshi and Kaiju Girl Caramelize through mangadex.

I would love to support series like Heterogeneous Linguistics but unfortunately nobody has picked it up yet. I don't really have the room to keep untranslated books in my house, so I'll just have to wait for it to get picked up, hopefully soon.

Contributor
Have you followed any of the links to Amazon, EBJ, CDJapan, etc and bought any copies of your favourite manga?
I've clicked the links, but only to see how much they would cost if I bought them.

How often?
N/A

And if you are willing to share, how much have you spent?
N/A

What do you actually do with your copies, if you can't read it?
N/A

Would a list of upcoming releases for new volumes interest you if we had it on the site?
Sure, though I don't know if I'd actually use it.

Contributor
I only have purchased digital english titles on bookwalker, and physical original copies in spanish in my country

I bought some manga on amazon, it doesn't really matter to me if i cant read it, cuz i just buy it for collection and just because they look good on a shelf.
I also bought some light novels on english, i basically do the same with them after reading.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread