You'll never believe what happens if...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I generally only click those retail jp store links if I was looking for cover images, ebook samples, or the release dates of tankoubons if they were being scanlated. I'd assume official raw links when available get significantly more click traffic, since they are more relevant to MangaDex readers.

I kinda hate idea of buying manga if its not in paper version, but in my country its simply fuking impossible since they cost like for 4 volumes i could buy new smartphone. i'd support my favourite author if there was some kind of donation place(something like twitch), even these 5$ would be better than nothing, but well, as for now it happens i dont have money so i didnt even search for such place, maybe if someone knows just let me know

Sometimes, it depends on story and how it looks since if I do buy manga its mostly for collection sake - so my taste is rather specific so its not often I will buy it.
Don't really wanna fill my showcase with manga's I don't really care about or only care about to read once and forget they exist.

Oh & about where I get them its mostly local bookstore it has massive manga selection otherwise amazon and some other websites.

I usually buy them from local bookstore in bulk (after a number volume of series is released).
They served as a collection purpose in my bookshelf. Only read it when I feel nostalgic.

In my opinion, buying from store links is not an option, since not all language is provided.
I do respect the purpose of supporting authors, but the problem in most people case is, not every manga is translated in their respective language. And since they are not a Japan residence, the only way to find new interesting series (that will worth the time to read) is from manga website. This is actually an indirect marketing for the author.

Recently, Shonen Jump has actually see that positive side. They decided to make the big move and provide a new chapter of series for free. Of course you cant read the whole volume series, but how they put the pieces is already served the content purpose, as a teaser. People read, found it as interesting, then they will surely buy.

But again, I do wish that all manga could be licensed around the world, so the purpose of supporting authors could actually be true.

I've never bought manga from links on this site. I guess I'm very frugal and either I won't be able to read it (because it's in Japanese) or I can find the scan online (and if I can't, I'll wait and pray) so it's not worth it for me.

The only manga I own physically is copies of my all time favorites and they're almost all in English (save for tokyo ghoul :re volume 8 hehe).

I think a list of upcoming releases would be helpful for me bc I don't usually check official websites. But I guess it should be a lower priority

Group Leader
I buy manga from the local bookstore. Would rather have the physical copy because I like the feel of paper................

Double-page supporter
I only go to webtoon sites and buy from there If I can (not drowning in debt/bills).

I usually will spend 30-50$ I’m a month if I do go into a webtoon. Other than that...I don’t read japanese so I don’t buy anything not in English lol.

I dislike physical copies because I don’t have room for more books. I’m verrrrryyy close to just throwing out all my old manga lol.

Contributor
nope. I never can justify buying manga to myself as someone who also buys traditional books. The price-content ratio is just too large. With a normal book, I get 6-20 hours of entertainment for 10-15 dollars but with manga its something like 2-3 hours for 12-20.

then again I wouldn't even buy normal books if it wasn't for how much I hate reading 12pt font on a screen.

I'm a while behind, haven't been able to purchase much, but used to buy a lot. Last count (went up some after) I had was like 450 vols, many magazines too - every eng SJ up to like 60-70, almost at every New Type USA, and maybe 20-30 misc like artbooks and the like. At the lower end the volumes added up to 4,500$, but it is higher as not all were 9.99$, some went up to 15-17$. No idea on the price total for the rest - probably another few K.

Started getting more figures towards the end of my ability to buy much- about 350(+/-50) gachapon, and another maybe 50 'normal' figures of various scales- little lower depending on which are as they are from onlg games, though some of course some are from games and anime/mamga series. Not sure on the price for this stuff- gachapona between 3-8$ a piece, while large ranged like 15$ up to like 150-200$

This was over the course of years though, maybe first started around like 99-2000. Had to cut back in the last year or two due to massive medical/family problems and even worse family medical issues. Try to support when I can but other needs have to take priority.

Hi ixlone. You got me 😄

Let me answer that. First, No. I don't use those buttons. I'm can't read japanese (only understand a few), so never buy a raw. Even if I want to, I will go to nearest bookstore who sell the raw (We have Kinokuniya around here).

Second, I usually spend around 300k rupiah for manga (around 22 usd, maybe). And I'm not that often to buy it, only if my favourite series are release. If I'm not read it ? Put it on bookshelf, of course.

List for upcoming volume ? Yeah, that interest me.

I recently started to buy manga, since now I have a job. I bought them from bookdepository, I'm not from the states so it's easier that way. Last month I spend around 100 usd in manga. I also usually visit and bookmark the original work for the chinese works, but since I don't know chinese I don't know how to buy it. Also, some of the works I love are not printed so I can't buy it and I really want to because the art is so beautiful that I don't care if I can't understand the language.

If only I could support the author, because:
[ol]you need a credit card[/ol]
[ol]you have to go to it's country of origin, which cost a lot[/ol]
[ol]Its not available to your countrt[/ol]
And etc.

Spent lots on hard copies that were translated. Had a toonmics subscription for a while, was dropped when I moved, planning on getting it again when I het a new job after I move up.

I gave out my hard copies as a bonus tip to delivery drivers and ask them to pass them on or otherwise I donate them to the local library.

I got baited here nooooooooo :x

Anyways, I do follow some of my fav *cough* Yuri *cough* manga volume released on online shops especially on Melonbooks and Animate for extra benefits. I don't usually buy too often tho since the international shipping fee was a pain in the ass, so what I usually did was, whenever I am anticipating some release, I would look for 2-3 more from other series I could get so I'll bulk buy them.
Each volume would cost around 7USD, and some volume with limited extra benefits was around 15USD. I usually get a set of 4 volumes so more or less it was around 30usd (then double the price for the shipping fee x_x).

> What do you actually do with your copies, if you can't read it?
Good question, I don't wanna think much about how I can't read them tbh ... since it'll only make me regret buying them, heh. All my raw manga are mostly for collection and display only. Well, I can say that I just love to support the mangaka and hoping they could make an anime adaptation of their manga in the future, PLUUUUUS having limited merch from the series is enough to make me happy.
(I don't buy raws of a mainstream series btw, just a few ones that I really really liked)

> Would a list of upcoming releases for new volumes interest you if we had it on the site?
ofc, mostly because of the "limited extra benefits" but really depends if I would buy them or not :3

I've only bought manga once so far, when I went to Japan. I think I spent about 8000 yen. I would have bought more if I still had money.

"What do you actually do with your copies, if you can't read it?"
Well I bought them for 3 reasons. All of them because I love the series.
1. To support the author
2. To collect them
3. Read them in the future

A list of upcoming releases for new volumes would be great.

Supporter
Haven't bought through MangaDex'es links (yet), but I've been a regular customer to the local businesses, and even ordered some series straight from Japan (despite me relying entirely on our wonderful scanlation community). Currently in the middle of a lull, due to running out of shelf space, and not enjoying the process of packing manga into storage boxes. :(

I definitely will be getting the Berserk hardcovers, and when I tried to recently form some sort of a shopping list, it only induced despair. 😱

Dex-chan lover
Me personally, I check if there's an official translation or not, then go out to a bookstore to see (in Canada, lots are available). I don't tend to do online shopping tho, just the fact that I know a company is translating helps.

Since I now have some money coming in recently, I buy some books that I really like. However, I only do so only during a sale. I would be very interested in a list although I probably wouldn't look at it too often.

Group Leader
Having physical copies isn't to my liking, i am too adapt to reading online to sit and read through a book. Also i wouldn't buy something unless i read it first and like it but by time i do that i wouldn't buy it as i don't like re-reading stuff. I do however buy merch here and there and sometimes webtoon access.

Sem

Dex-chan lover
Honestly I'm so focused on the new chapters I didn't even notice there were links to official buying sites.

I buy manga occasionally but I'm really only buying Witch Hat Atelier, Dungeon Meshi, and To Your Eternity. I collect a few stray volumes here and there of things like Kemono Jihen or The Witch's Monstrous Paintings. I'm also fond of series that have finished and don't have too many volumes like Pluto. I have to move around a lot so I won't collect physical volumes unless I find a lot of value in having it handy, like using it as an art reference or having a lot of rereading value. Or for shoving it onto friends to try and rope them into reading manga with me. People are a lot more open to trying something when you slide a physical book their way rather than just sending them links.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread