Sono Bisque Doll wa Koi wo Suru - Ch. 100

Dex-chan lover
Whether going pro or not, Marin is going to cosplay with Gojo forever. First she needs to help him get through this self doubt that he's feeling.
The author made that particular speech bubble's dialogue block that particular word in the sentence on P. 20 purposefully to go along with her facial expression to show that she just got a dose of reality. (and recognition of conflicting desires to be explored in the next plot line.)

My theory is that Gojo negative expression in this chapter is less about his relationship with Marin and more about his competence as an artisan. I would expect that an artisan would want their pieces to be appreciated by it's own merit and not through the endorsement of others. In other words, the dressmaker would want their dress to loved because it good and not because the model makes it look good.

In chapter 99, Gojo regretted telling Marin to make people fall in love with her. Perhaps Gojo is feeling this way because he's entirely relying on her to make cosplay work. We've established Gojo has self esteem issues, so maybe these negative emotions are because he feels like he isn't doing enough to support Marin. The wall of people intentionally misleads the reader to think that it's a wall between Marin and him, but another way to look at is it's people who isn't looking at Gojo. People who look are looking at Marin and not at the work he's done.

As mentioned in this chapter, the cosplay only worked due to the culmination of both Gojo's and Marin's efforts, but Gojo doesn't see it that way.

In chapter 96, he clearly stated that the dress isn't up to par and that he is relying on Marin to make it work. He also said something about making people falling in love with Haniel's costume the same way he fell in love when he saw a Hina doll for the first time. This further supports the idea that, as an artisan, he wanted people to fall in love with the costume, but he decided to rely on his crutch of Marin making it work.

Relying on her too much to make his work succeed is making him feel like he's giving up as an artisan, and that's what causing him to regret his words.

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
My theory is that Gojo negative expression in this chapter is less about his relationship with Marin and more about his competence as an artisan. I would expect that an artisan would want their pieces to be appreciated by it's own merit and not through the endorsement of others. In other words, the dressmaker would want their dress to loved because it good and not because the model makes it look good.

In chapter 99, Gojo regretted telling Marin to make people fall in love with her. Perhaps Gojo is feeling this way because he's entirely relying on her to make cosplay work. We've established Gojo has self esteem issues, so maybe these negative emotions are because he feels like he isn't doing enough to support Marin.

In chapter 96, he clearly stated that the dress isn't up to par and that he is relying on Marin to make it work. He also said something about making people falling in love with Haniel's costume the same way he fell in love when he saw a Hina doll for the first time. This further supports the idea that, as an artisan, he wanted people to fall in love with the costume, but he decided to rely on his crutch of Marin making it work.

Relying on her too much to make his work succeedis making him feel like he's giving up as an artisan, and that's what causing him to regret his words.

Not a bad thought but i don't think that's it.
Remember how the Haniel author was like "i drew her impossible. She's mine." ?
Well, Gojou also got obsessed with the costum and wanted, somewhere in him, to make her 'his' and only his.
But then everyone at the photoshoot got between them and separated them, clearly showing him they're in different world.
And it broke our boy :(

Last edited:
Aggregator gang
And so Marin get's an offer of a professional contract, which will only deepen Gojou's opinion that he's just exploiting her and holding her back, especially when he get's put up against a potential legion of Professional Costume Makers.

What will be interesting to see is how Author Dude interacts with Gojou. Because come on its obvious he's going to have more of a part in the story. His editor gets a mysterious call from him late at night after the Cosplay Show of his character who he insisted no one could ever do justice? Yeah I'm sure that was just a random phone call with no plot significance uh huh that's totally how stories work.

Which will be interesting because right now Gojou doesn't really have much of a support network for his craftsman's abilities. Sure he has his Grandfather, but that can be dismissed, of course he's supportive, he's Gojou's Grandfather. All of the other people he talks the trade with are all professionals who are always in the position of trying to help him, something he surely sees as a sign of his inadequacy.

It probably doesn't help that the arc immediately before this one involved Store Bought Costumes that Gojou didn't do much if anything with.

I think it'll all come down to how the Author actually reacts.

I really hate that this is the phrase that came to mind, but I have to say it.
"FOR FUCK'S SAKE, WHAT IS IT NOW, GOJOU?!"

I get it, depression is a bitch, the man's an introvert, probably got some unresolved feelings going on in there, but COME ON, MAN. YOU JUST MADE THIS GIRL THE HAPPIEST SHE'S PROBABLY EVER BEEN, NOW YOUR SOUR FACE IS RUINING IT.

It just feels like it's always SOMETHING with this guy. If he's not driving himself into the ground with artistic perfectionism and self doubt, he's making a miserable face or having some other episode that just casts a long shadow over everything else. JUST BE HAPPY, YOU WALKING DEPRESSANT.

Aggregator gang
FYI, Kougami's name shows up in chapter 87 as a mangaka that is Shiba Tokio's friend (in the interview bits). Senoo was (and apparently still is) his editor.

Dex-chan lover
Thanks for the chapter.
I think it's representing teenagers well. Also, communication is hard sometimes.
Very interested to see what's got Gojou down though. Hopefully he will have some growth as a result of its resolution.

Dex-chan lover
Ah. Well. Seeing that distance spring up between them was well worth the wait, then. 😐

Dex-chan lover
I really hate that this is the phrase that came to mind, but I have to say it.
"FOR FUCK'S SAKE, WHAT IS IT NOW, GOJOU?!"

I get it, depression is a bitch, the man's an introvert, probably got some unresolved feelings going on in there, but COME ON, MAN. YOU JUST MADE THIS GIRL THE HAPPIEST SHE'S PROBABLY EVER BEEN, NOW YOUR SOUR FACE IS RUINING IT.

It just feels like it's always SOMETHING with this guy. If he's not driving himself into the ground with artistic perfectionism and self doubt, he's making a miserable face or having some other episode that just casts a long shadow over everything else. JUST BE HAPPY, YOU WALKING DEPRESSANT.

If Gojou gets you so triggered, then it's better not to go anywhere near the Anjou-san series. :dogkek:

Dex-chan lover
I must admit that it confuses me when people complain about chapters like this.
After a great arc of a craftsman making pretty much his Masterpiece, now we have an arc of the craftsman having to face for the first time the reality that people will not appreciate his efforts. The Model will be praised and beloved, but nobody asks for the Craftsman, and how that affects the relationship of the Craftsman and the Model.
It's quite an interesting and powerful subject to touch, and it'll be fascinating to follow.
But I guess people simply want quick and cheap romance...

Users who are viewing this thread