Harapeko Oyako to Motokare Yanushi - Ch. 4

Double-page supporter
Let's be realistic here. If an acquaintance I haven't met for 17 years asked me to stay at my place all of a sudden, I would've pointed them out to the nearest homeless shelter. Now, that's a different story if it were family and friends though, but acquaintances can manage themselves in homeless shelters.
I mean. That’s your “realistic”. There a definitely people out there who would take in an acquaintance for a while. I’m not one of them, but they’re definitely out there.

Dex-chan lover
You know what, dredging the croquette with one hand like that, her hand won't be squeaky clean like it was shown. The flour and bread crumb will not only stick to the croquette, but all over her hand and fingers, too, creating a big mess and makes it so difficult to dredge the second (well she fried only one of it so she didn't faced this issue). Best practice is to use one hand for the dry (flour and bread crumb) and another for the wet (egg)

Dex-chan lover
I actually read this chapter in a different way than other people seemingly did. I feel like thereˋs some social criticism in there on the last pages where Minori notes how exhausted her mom always was in the past vs. how much more cheerful she is now. Like the author is trying to say „Trying to raise a kid on your own while also working is not good for either the kid or for you. Thereˋs a reason why the concept of a family has included two adults for millenia.“

But then again, people don’t just become single parents. Would be helpful to know what happened to Minoriˋs biological father.

Dex-chan lover
"Let someone who you haven't spoken a single word to in 17 years take advantage of you or you're a mentally underdeveloped child" is an impressive new low for White-Knight simping over some pea-brained waifu blob.
No self-respecting person wants to be treated like a doormat and a wallet by someone who doesn't actually care about them.

Dex-chan lover
The Japanese comments on this chapter are funny because they're split between people who can't make croquettes at home, those who find them too tiresome to make, and those who can make them but prefer buying them because their price is a godsent.

It seems the croquette lore runs deep among the Japanese, lol.
Are they that annoying to make?

Oh, and the daughter is slowly starting to gain fans; it seems like this chapter's hairstyle has captivated a few readers.
My biggest issue with frying stuff is that you get that oily smell in your house for a couple of days, and it clogs up the entire kitchen more or less.
Some times I just have a bit of oil in a pan like MC and fries like that. I have a fryer but I've never used it I must admit.

Dex-chan lover
Man, the more I read this, the less the screeching about the mom makes sense. I thought it was weird that she shows up out of the blue 17 years later but it so obviously a rom com set up I just don’t know what there is to be mad at.

Older male gets back with ex and forms new found family, that’s it.

Dex-chan lover
I hear convenient store bentos can be pretty legit. Living off them is less of a health crisis and more just kinda sad
Yes and no. Can they be eaten as part of a balanced diet? Yes.
But eating only them? That's BAAAD news.

Japanese convenience store bentos are loaded with carbs, sodium / MSG, and other additives in HUGE amounts.

Sure, people might believe they're healthy because they're made with "fresh" ingredients, which, for the most part, they are, and people traveling (especially influencers) make a huge deal about them. But overall, there's a reason why, every time in Japanese media, they want to portray someone as unhealthy, they're eating convenience store bentos.

All the Japanese people I know avoid them like the plague, lol, except when they have a craving from time to time.

Dex-chan lover
Compared to what I expected from reading the comments, yeah, is basically nothing, she barely appeared in the chapter and it was just a nothing joke about she staying in the home to eat MC cooking that MC counter by telling that if she didn't find a place he will stop cooking for her.
I find it kind of interesting that she hints that she wants to stay on living there with listing qualities of his house, but in retort he doesn't say anything about that she can't do that, just that he won't cook for her.

Dex-chan lover
The Japanese comments on this chapter are funny because they're split between people who can't make croquettes at home, those who find them too tiresome to make, and those who can make them but prefer buying them because their price is a godsent.

It seems the croquette lore runs deep among the Japanese, lol.
Are they that annoying to make?

Oh, and the daughter is slowly starting to gain fans; it seems like this chapter's hairstyle has captivated a few readers.
sigh if only our comment section was this entertaining and goofy...instead we get the guy up there saying the MC should groom the daughter

Last edited:
Supporter
Let's be realistic here. If an acquaintance I haven't met for 17 years asked me to stay at my place all of a sudden, I would've pointed them out to the nearest homeless shelter. Now, that's a different story if it were family and friends though, but acquaintances can manage themselves in homeless shelters.
I don't know how homeless shelters are in your country but here in France, they are essentially dormitories where you need to sleep with many people, many of them being tramps or not too clean people (I'm not judging them, there are many reasons to fall down to such state and I'm sure they deserve help). But in any case, if an old acquaintance came to me and asked for help, if I have a free room, I would welcome him or her and not redirect him or her to a homeless shelter.
That being said, I find this story until now very lazily written and I'm still not sure that the author really thought of a believable backstory to the ladies. It seems more like a "What if" scenario until now.

Dex-chan lover
I would honestly have shown then the door.
I can understand that a lot of people empathize with the mother and daughter, but speaking from personal experience whenever someone who I haven't talked to in 10+ years contacts me, it's usually either
A. Asking for a favor (i.e. trying to borrow money etc.).
B. Trying to sell me a Ponzi scheme.

And in A's case it's usually people that got into drugs/gambling/alcohol that have already burned ties with all their existing family and friends , so they try and reach to further circles. What I find egregious is the fact that they haven't SPOKEN in 17 years.
I mean if it was someone you've at least kept contact with it's different, but 17 years is such a long time that you're basically strangers at that point.
I can't imagine that she would rather contact some random guy she dated 17 years ago instead of her friends/family for somewhere to stay at unless she did it under false pretenses. In that case I wonder why she decided to go back to her backup option for the guy.

I really do hope they show more going forward in the manga, because currently I can just scratch my head at the current premise.

Users who are viewing this thread