I'm in Love with the Villainess - Ch. 45 - Stalemate

Dex-chan lover
In the LN, rather than Rod, it's Claire that points out that marrying him would not disrupt their relationship and in fact believes they could be even closer as they'd be the same status then...
Yes, I wish they kept Claire's pleading with Rae that they'd actually be "closer" and more secured this way. I think it really cements how she genuinely believes marriage is a political obligation that is unavoidable in this system but also genuinely wants to be with Rae for life.

She thinks this is their only compromise and the only way they can be together realistically and honestly doesn't understand how Rae can't see that. "If we have to be married no matter what, why not to royalty and to a mutual friend?" Considering their current system and culture, she might not have been entirely wrong about how impossible it would have been but that's why we have more story to go.

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
Lily I forgive you this time because you actually made Claire think about her feelings with what you said, but please just begin to shut the fuck up with your “then I will be number 1 for her”, when you already know that you will never even be close to being number 1, you are not even going to be number 2 cause nobody will be that…

Dex-chan lover
With all the shit that's happening, they really brought a volcano explosion...
Aaannnd their relationship somehow went backwards... Though I guess there was never a relationship to begin with?
What fucking mess. So much so I'm starting to feel bad about Lily.
Thanks for the chapter!

Dex-chan lover
Marriage for political reasons intended to deepen connections between noble families or whatever seems pretty standard, but when one of the families in question is of your wife's lesbian lover, now that's some 5D political sapphic chess. Can't tell if Rod is crazy or just that galaxy brained.

Well...
Hot, 2137 IQ wife (so long as that IQ is used to make her gf happy) who not only will never get railed by some dickwad upstart casanova, but also will give zero fucks about your marital fidelity AND might be pliable to allow for one night of 'marital duties' each month for the sake of heir.
I could see Rod deluding himself into hoping for such scenario.

Dex-chan lover
Rod does genuinely love her but it's not till LN 5 that we actually see some insight into him as a person. He's still wrapped up in his superiority but he'll be getting a massive reality check soon.
Idk, with how things have been changed that probably wont be the case anymore

• Thinking
Reactions: b58
Dex-chan lover
Ah yes, their fathers' corruption. One of my favorite plot points, with how it turns out in the end. The whole... let's call it "politics" around this whole thing is definitely one of the main things that elevates this above the usual otome-isekai slop.

Not that there's anything wrong with slop, of course, but rather to say that there's something right about this; which isn't the same thing.

Dex-chan lover
Rods attitude is already a significant change tho... Yknow what they say about butterfly effects
It's not a big change though? It's very minor. I hesitate to even call anything changed. He's the same, just with some extra dialogue. Beyond that nothing else about the main plot has changed at all. Everything is moving as it should. But we can't talk about this much here anyway.

Dex-chan lover
man, at this point the background plot is far more interesting than whatever the F the main relationship is doing

Double-page supporter
The way how it goes from the cat Rae hilarious meme to the angst of Claire questioning her feelings about Rae in one chapter was too much for me to handle even after reading the light novel. Had to have a break and stare at the ceiling midway

Group Leader
You know she's gay. You know she's gay FOR YOU. So what is there not to understand when Rae doesn't want to marry someone else? A man at that who she feels zero attraction to.

On the manga was not that clear, but Claire has a strong sense of duty that never went weak. She likes Rae but for her (and nobles) marriage is not about love, but continuity, family ties and business. Feelings are never part of all of it so for her, to turn down the best partner of thr country is unthinkable.

Rae would be able to help her family, would have a comfortable life and have power to help others, this is all thr marriage is for a noble.

Dex-chan lover
Well...
Hot, 2137 IQ wife (so long as that IQ is used to make her gf happy) who not only will never get railed by some dickwad upstart casanova, but also will give zero fucks about your marital fidelity AND might be pliable to allow for one night of 'marital duties' each month for the sake of heir.
I could see Rod deluding himself into hoping for such scenario.

Even Rod can realize that him trying to make Rae bear his children would interfere with her and Claire's relationship. He is surprised to learn that they're not already dating, and if his concept of "dating" includes a pair of women, it makes sense for him to not plan something that would insult Claire if she was a man. Rae is also someone who has at this point saved his brother's life and helped free his little sister from a curse, so to see her as someone to manipulate into carrying his children (a massively creepy thing by itself) would make him actually despicable - I'm not sure if you realize that.

Rod also has to know how incredibly stubborn Rae is at this point, not "pliable" in any sense; the only way to force her to do anything would be to hold her loved ones as hostage, which would just lead her to plan for his demise. Rae has him outclassed, and she's more useful to the kingdom as an advisor and a powerhouse of defense.

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
Even Rod can realize that him trying to make Rae bear his children would interfere with her and Claire's relationship [...]
Then what is even the point of proposing?
This world clearly requires noble people to put a great care into managing their dynasties, and marrying someone you love, ESPECIALLY if you know won't have kids with them, is a luxury available to probably no one, and almost certainly not to Rod.

And, okay, maybe 'pliable' wasn't the best choice of word here, but...
It's a simple deal: "We get married, carry out the barest minimum of marital duties, you have fun with your side chick, i may get one or two for myself, we're both moisturized, happy, focused and flourishing"
It may sound horrifying to you, a simple fellow living in more civilized times, but that's bread and butter of the type of society that churns out people like Charles II of Spain.

Rod comes from an upbringing that expects him to have successors. He might as well try to convince the woman he loves to help in making them.

Dex-chan lover
DAMN IT DAMN IT, I NEVER THOUGHT IT WOULD HAPPEN NOW!
Rae gives off dog vibes to me tbh

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
Ah yes, their fathers' corruption. One of my favorite plot points, with how it turns out in the end. The whole... let's call it "politics" around this whole thing is definitely one of the main things that elevates this above the usual otome-isekai slop.

Not that there's anything wrong with slop, of course, but rather to say that there's something right about this; which isn't the same thing.
I strongly agree: a lot of times, when isekai authors start trying to write in political intrigue to keep some kind of plot happening, it's opaque and overcomplicated, or too simplistic and black and white. To actually make it something the reader (who didn't sign up for that) wants more of is an accomplishment.

Seeing Claire, especially, who started out as a major benefactor of the status quo slowly morphing into someone who wants to bring the system down for justice is really awesome. When this arc started, it seemed to come out of nowhere and I didn't really know what the point was, but now I understand that it's critical for developing Claire as a character. And Lilly and Rae a bit too.

Users who are viewing this thread