In Another World, I'm Called: the Black Healer

Dex-chan lover
Well that cover was a pretty big spoiler ..... though he still looks like pup but bigger lol

I mean she flat out stated in her thoughts that the loophole is that she didn't use her real name, so I assume any other loopholes are unintended (at least by the character).

Contributor
@Pyrotrap Nah, she's a smart cookie. She told us that the first loophole was her not using her name (which is way less obvious tbh) and changed the wording of her oath just in case ("The oath wouldn't work if I use my name in this world... Right?! But just to be safe..."). Really she should have switched those around, making the wording her main plan and the name thing a failsafe (though I don't think that would have worked. Her name changed on her status and everyone knows her as Reene, so Reene's effectively her name now. Name magic mumbo jumbo really does not cover name changes well... )

Dex-chan lover
@humbleoverlord You mean "random handsome man that fits the general shoujo stereotypes".

Dex-chan lover
@anuanuanu Hey, if the Saga of Recluse taught me anything, it's that black represents Order and white represents Chaos.

Dex-chan lover
@anuanuanu
It's not just Japan.

A long time ago, when movies were just invented, people needed an easy way to tell who's the good guy and who's the bad guy. They didn't have voice overs yet, after all.
So the guy with the white hat was good, and the black hat was bad. But eventually, movies became too predictable, so movie creators turned it around. Since then, the black hat was the good guy, and the white hat was bad.

This is just part of a cycle. One day, white will be good (again) and black will be bad (again).
Then, many years later, we'll be back to good black and evil white.

Don't forget that many (older) Japanese games (especially RPGs) have light and dark attributes, where light is usually given to a party member (the good guys) and dark belongs to the demons and monsters.
We're currently in the cycle of people who got sick of good light and bad darkness.

Aggregator gang
What's up with this second group? All the unnecessary background notes (unhelpful ones at that, they apparently forgot Anythrie's name while noting her "Green Princess" nickname), arbitraily changing translations, then not understanding what's clearly a dinosaur name in kana ("Stegoterusu", which they somehow got the first half right from "Sutego") and that one chapter that they muddled horribly through Waifu2x or something.

Contributor
Thank you for all these updates! If I had to wait months between chapters right when things are getting more exciting, I would just die...

Dex-chan lover
@Shampooh
It's LH, their quality ranges from barely-passable to Hadena. A big part of that is the fact that they are addicted to starting new projects while already having far more than they have staff able to do with any kind of reasonable quality. Another issue with the group is that it constantly shuffles around translators and editors between projects so there's absolutely no consistency in the end product what-so-ever.

Aggregator gang
Y'know, I'm not religious myself or anything. But this is getting pretty ridiculous at this point. Every single god damned church in every single god damned fantasy story is corrupt and power-hungry. I could even understand if this was an American thing since Christians in America are such zealots that it's almost creepy. But religion in Asia has always had fairly good connotations. Why the hell is it always being demonized in these books?

It's not that I'm offended or something, but it's boring. It's the same as slavery and racism...literally every single time. It's absolutely overdone and somebody needs to save us and come up with a new plot device to drive the characters motivations besides "church is corrupt, combat church".

Dex-chan lover
Couldn't she cast some kind of barrier that nullify his kotodama skill...

Contributor
@Aretheus, even in chinese manhua, when a church labels as devil sect.
Try Read : PANLONG

Blow him away with your wind magic? Please do. I seriously want to see that happening...?

Dex-chan lover
Aretheus, it is precisely because they are making reference TO Christianity that the "church" is portrayed this way.
In Asia there is no true centralized church, Shintoism, Buddhism, Taoism (I think), etc, are all small separate temples (some that come together and corm larger groups, but rarely does something like the centralization of a Pope come to be). Thus when it is "the church" is is virtually always evil (precisely because it comes to wipe out all other faiths, i.e. monotheism, i.e. Christianity).

On the other hand if f the faith is portrayed as temples, it is usually NOT evil, but that isn't a "the church" setting, it is an "our temple of the '...' (god)" setting.

So, yes, typically relivion/faith is a good thing in Asia, but it isn't monotheism, it is polytheism (multiple gods versus one god). Even in Buddhism other people can become a Buddha.

(It has been over a decade since I studied world religions, please don't quote me on this.)

Users who are viewing this thread