Kusuriya no Hitorigoto - Vol. 8 Ch. 37 - Balsam and Wood Sorrel (Part 1)

Wait i don't get what happened...so since he had sex with maomao's mother her price was lowered and since he didn't come back she died?? Why did she cut off her pinkyy?

@fruitscandy basically what happened is since she lost her virginity she stopped being considered as a high commodity, because of that she had to take in customers at night (in other words use her body) and she was probably treated roughly, she fell to depression as well, the cut finger was from her depression and her love turning into hatred for the guy making her curse him. She died in the end probably from over working amplified by depression.

@fruitscandy I believe maomao's mother wasn't allowed to have sex with her customers (?) so all her value as a courtesan disappeared after she did so and she was no longer able to be 'redeemed' (do correct me if I'm wrong though, it's been a while since I read this). As well, maomao's dad was away for 3 years instead of the promised 1.5 so everyone including maomao's mom thought he was just no longer interested in her.

As for the pinky, the last couple pages explains it's significance. Hope that helps :)

@TheDollCollector It doesn't seem that he has a mental condition that "prevents him from speaking his thoughts directly", it looks like he has prosopagnosia (a little bit romanticized since he could see Mao Mao and Shen Feng's faces). About not noticing, it seems he was self-centered and didn't stop to think what entails being a courtesan and what the talking about reedeming and their sex meant (at least it's my interpretation)

@Iceweaver I think she isn't dead yet, but she's the one prostitute that MaoMao takes care of (remember when she thought of her little finger in a previous chapter?) She was taking care of a prostitute with so bad sex diseases that her nose fell. I think that's Shen Feng and everyone already treats her already as dead. It could add up, since the old woman already lied about there being "not baby".

@fruitscandy
she is probably still alive, with her being the one mao mao wants him to redeem.
she cut of her pinky as a curse, thinking he had abandoned her.

Dex-chan lover
@Iceweaver

Was the woman MaoMao treated when she was younger confirmed to be her mother?
If so, then after she got pregnant, to pay the bills, she had to sell her body and caught an STD. Then died.

Oh, I thought the woman with syphilis that Mao visited in an earlier chapter was her mother o _o
Also not having a load of sympathy for the supposedly genius dude that "Oh totally skipped his mind this might be bad for her status".

@fruitscandy It was explained deeper in the novel, but the sex was kind of a promise that Rakan would redeem her.

As a top courtesan, Rakan couldn't afford her so she allowed him to get her pregnant, hence lowering her price. However, Rakan went to war(?) and couldn't redeem her. Pregnant courtesans have very low value, so FS had to accept lowly customers to sleep with. Rokushokan also lost prestige and almost became bankrupt, since their top courtesan was ruined. FS sent her pinky (and tried to cut maomao's too) to remind Rakan that he broke his promise. Pinky swear (yubikiri) is a big symbol of promise in japan.

Now, rakan's fault in this is that he didn't think of the consequences of getting FS pregnant and leaving. He thought he can just come back and then redeem her upon his return, when it was URGENT that he did so bec FS reputation is already damaged.

@iceweaver She didn‘t die yet. She caught syphilis because she became the lowest prostitutes and had to sleep with a lot of customers. Because of her syphilis, she is half paralyzed and she had necrosis all over hear body. Basically, she is now a living corpse. She was shown in earlier chapters, if you don’t remember.

Users who are viewing this thread