MD USA Meetup 2: Electric Boogaloo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dex-chan lover
@Zephyrus personally, I am not interested in the event, but now I am curious about what fraction of mangadex members are actually from north America. Do you have some metadata from the server host?

@ZdrytchX because the guy that put the effort in organising the meeting is in the USA, so he reasonably choose a place where he can attend

Anyone up here from SEA too? I’m not interested in holding meetups but would love to see how many my fellow south east asians dwell in here as well.

Custom title
Staff
Developer
@Beregorn North America (including Canada) seems to generate about 40% of the site traffic

The SEA region is one of our bigger audiences as well, with Indonesia specifically coming in third right after USA and Canada

Aggregator gang
@RD you can always aim to get a green card, am I right? 🤔 😂

Jokes aside. I don't even expect something for us from Latin America or Brazil haha. We can have our own convention, right?

Instrumentality Instigator
Staff
Super Moderator
Hello all.

Rest assured I will answer all questions in this thread. I have been on vacation and will not be home for at least 3 more days.

As a Marylander it took me a minute to realize why an "MD meetup" would take place in Ohio, Illinois, or Georgia.

I live in Atlanta so if it's either con I would be a good reason to get out of the house to meet some cool people from this site.

Ah, when I read "MD" I got all excited thinking there was a meetup specifically for Maryland... but then I realized that the MD was for MangaDex.

Darn.

I'm surprised at how salty you are about the meetup being only in the USA. Yeah, maybe it would have been better if the title had US in it originally, but that would kinda imply this is the second meetup in the us and not the second md meetup of its kind. Well both are the same though....

Anyway, I'm rather curious to know all the stats on where users are from too. Would it be possible to release that data somehow? @Zephyrus

Staff
Super Moderator
@Steamedtoast
Any offense I caused to those living outside of the USA was completely unintentional, I assure you. I have made it clear in this thread and the previous one that I only have so much money, so I am limited in what I can do and where I can go. Those in the US and abroad that are unable to make the meetup are more than welcome to host their own meetup and I have offered to help coordinate if my help is wanted. Unless you're willing to raise funds for me and my wife (who will most likely be joining me) to travel abroad, a meetup at the locations I listed are the only options open to me at this time.

@m3ch_mania
Nothing in particular, though as has been mentioned, ColossalCon is close to Cedar Point, which is a pretty nice theme park that we could attend after con shenanigans!

@Daewooxx
That's a great idea! I've added it to the idea list. =)

@MegaAnime
Staff actually discussed this a little bit but we decided that we're a little too afraid of men in suits knowing that we're associated with an illegal pirating site. Not to mention that piracy tends to be a hot button issue at conventions.

@OujiTenshi
Here are two broad breakdowns:

World
LpxR66t.png

USA
2BXN2Hs.png

Hope that satisfies your curiosity!

I'm also pleased to announce the results of the poll:
02vVDFN.png

ACEN won! Expect a followup edit in the Discussion Thread and an announcement fairly soon regarding what steps we should take next.

@Zephyrus Are you sure you meant to reply that to me? Cause aside from the first sentence your message has nothing to do with what I wrote at all.

Staff
Super Moderator
@Steamedtoast
Apologies. I seem to have gotten you mixed up with another poster. Sorry about that.

To also address your post specifically, I suppose I subconsciously assumed that people would know that I was talking about a US meetup since my past efforts at organizing one were based in the US as well. You can try seeing if our European staff members are interested in running something but good luck. :v

Unfortunately I don't think I can attend, as I have no plans to attend any cons next year other than maybe Tekko in Pittsburgh. I hope it goes well though, and I'm hoping to come to the next meetup!

Kind of a late response, but it looks like there are a lot of people in the North east coast (specifically tristate belt of PA, NJ, NY)...and Anime NYC is coming up soon. I am definitely going. So I would love to help host an MD meetup..albeit I haven't been part of the community that long. @Zephyrus Someone else also mentioned Anime NYC @Raikiri ...so maybe they might also be interested? The con is a month away too..so I guess it's somewhat too soon.

Staff
Super Moderator
Cons are cancelling left and right, and for good reason. I think Corona-chan has put a knife into our plans, boys and girls.

Better luck next year...hopefully.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread